Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle vid of my 224R on stock exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mumbles
When I said I'd like to retain the exhaust setup I have now, I should have been more clear...

I don't want to buy another catback system. I like the Loudmouth exhaust and I plan to keep it. When it comes to LM, all you hear in these threads is how terrible the LM catbacks are when you add LT's and they go on to say it gets even worse when you upgrade your cam. Because of this, when I did my LT's, I was very concerned the exhaust note would become over-the-top and I would no longer like it. That is why I went with the catted Y in an attempt to tame it down ever so slightly and I'd say I succeeded because I still like it.

A H/C upgrade is definitely in the future for my car and I feel I may be pushing my luck with trying to find a Combo that will allow me to keep the LM and still be able to tolerate it. I have yet to decide on which camshaft and my decision will definitely be influenced by how it will change the sound of my car. It's not the sole factor in the equation, but it is important to me. I was under the impression a higher LSA would result in less of a loping idle. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Which, as of now, is what I believe will help keep the car within the realm of the sound it produces now and achieving my goal of added peformance.

I know I would also trade some top end hp/torque, but would gain some down low with an LSA of say 114 compared to an 110.

My previous post simply stated my surprise as to how much lope was present with this specific cam and it having LSA I thought I was looking for. I guess this means I have a little more research to do before I make my final decision. Any input/advice in the matter is gladly accepted.
yea you had it right... the higher the LSA the less "lope" you get. I actually had the Loudmouth before swapping in my magnaflow muffler with my current mods. And like you, back when I was near stock I absolutely loved the way my LM sounded. I still think for a stock or near stock car the LM is hands down the best sounding catback. However, once my current build took place I drove around town with the LM for 3 days... anything 2500 rpms and above sounded absolutely horrible. So I took it and had them add a Magnaflow muffler to the LM piping... so in retrospect, I actually have the LM resonator AND the magnaflow muffler in my setup.

One thing I wouldn't do, is limit your cam/heads purchase to what catback you have on your car. That's kinda doing things backwards. Not to mention the H/C will give you so much more power than any catback ever will. And there are PLENTY of great sounding options out there on H/C cars...

Don't limit yourself. Just food for thought...
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
One thing I wouldn't do, is limit your cam/heads purchase to what catback you have on your car. That's kinda doing things backwards. Not to mention the H/C will give you so much more power than any catback ever will. And there are PLENTY of great sounding options out there on H/C cars...

Don't limit yourself. Just food for thought...
You are absolutely right. I don't plan to make my H/C choice soley on what would be compatible with the exhaust setup I'm running. That is definitely a backwards way of doing it. LOL. I guess I'm just I'm a bit sentimental, as well as stubborn. And not to mention, I never want to spend any more money than I have to. But lets just say it is a goal of mine to try to find H/C Combo (or Combos) that would allow the LM to remain tolerable and once I know those, I would then have another decision to make. I would either choose one of those combos or if none will allow the performance goals I'm looking to achieve, then choose another.

Do you happen to have any videos of your current H/C setup with the LM still in tact? I know you mentioned you only tolerated it for 3 days before swapping the LM resonator for a Magnaflow muffler, but I would love to hear it. As I stated in my other post, alot of people dog on the LM Catbacks as becoming unbearable with LT's. Well I took a chance and ignored those opinions and found that I like my LT/LM setup. The point I'm trying to make is, just because one person (or many) doesn't (don't) find a certain setup favorable, that doesn't mean others (including myself) won't find it as music to their ears.

And it's not that I don't appreciate any advice on which direction to go. Really I do. (Thats the reason I'm on this forum all the time.) The fact is when it comes down to it, the car is mine to live with and to do with what ever I want. LOL. Thanks Soul TKR.

P.S. I wouldn't be against swapping out just the resonator for a different muffler. It's just if I don't have to, I don't want to. LOL

P.P.S. Really sorry for the Hijack, O.P.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

You are absolutely right. I don't plan to make my H/C choice soley on what would be compatible with the exhaust setup I'm running. That is definitely a backwards way of doing it. LOL. I guess I'm just I'm a bit sentimental, as well as stubborn. And not to mention, I never want to spend any more money than I have to.
i hear ya on the stubborn part I know where your coming from... completely understandable. Money is definitely tight these days so saving it is #1!!!

But lets just say it is a goal of mine to try to find H/C Combo (or Combos) that would allow the LM to remain tolerable and once I know those, I would then have another decision to make. I would either choose one of those combos or if none will allow the performance goals I'm looking to achieve, then choose another.
yea... i really don't think you'll find that a certain H/C combo will sound much different than any other out there with the LM. There's a difference between loud and meaty, and then there's loud and abnoxious... think about those ricer guys with the loud *** coffee can mufflers. They are loud sure... but they sound like complete ****. That's sort of what you'll find with the LM catback with H/C and LT's... I'm sure the catted Y will help a bit, but I doubt much. I myself have an ORY, so I couldn't help you much there... One thing I will say is when I had my LM on my car for those 3 days, one of the major reasons I added a muffler to it was because is was sooooo insanely loud, I knew it wouldn't be long before I was pulled over and ticketed...

Do you happen to have any videos of your current H/C setup with the LM still in tact? I know you mentioned you only tolerated it for 3 days before swapping the LM resonator for a Magnaflow muffler, but I would love to hear it. As I stated in my other post, alot of people dog on the LM Catbacks as becoming unbearable with LT's. Well I took a chance and ignored those opinions and found that I like my LT/LM setup. The point I'm trying to make is, just because one person (or many) doesn't (don't) find a certain setup favorable, that doesn't mean others (including myself) won't find it as music to their ears.
This is the only video I have with the LM on there with my current mods... it's a crappy cell phone video that was sent to me when it was in the shop by my friend. It's really deceiving though... it sounds pretty good on this video, but in person it was complete crap.

On another note, I think you misread my previous post. I actually still have the LM resonator in my I-pipe. What I did was add a Magnaflow muffler in the rear where the mufflers are usually placed right under the gas tank. So I actually have both a resonator and a muffler. I have videos of this setup as well if your interested in seeing them lemme know...

And it's not that I don't appreciate any advice on which direction to go. Really I do. (Thats the reason I'm on this forum all the time.) The fact is when it comes down to it, the car is mine to live with and to do with what ever I want. LOL. Thanks Soul TKR.

P.S. I wouldn't be against swapping out just the resonator for a different muffler. It's just if I don't have to, I don't want to. LOL

P.P.S. Really sorry for the Hijack, O.P.
What I would suggest you do is find a H/C combo that you like... forget about your exhaust while picking these out. Get something that'll give you the power your looking for and will support your existing mods. Slap those puppies on.... THEN... if you are happy with the LM on there, GREAT! If not... then you can change your catback or mod it like I did. Below is a picture of the section on the LM I cut off, then added a muffler to it...

Believe it or not, I sold this section for $150!!!

Last edited by Soul TKR; 10-06-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soul TKR...

You're right, I did misread your previous post. Either way, I'd probably be a little more willing to slightly modify my existing setup than I am ditching it for a completely different catback.

I did take a look at the videos that are linked in you signature. Your car does sound really good. And thanks for the before video as well. You're right there, also. Computer speakers don't do the greatest job at representing an exhaust note, let alone one from a shitty cellphone video. LOL. Thanks for the advice, man.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Soul TKR...

You're right, I did misread your previous post. Either way, I'd probably be a little more willing to slightly modify my existing setup than I am ditching it for a completely different catback.

I did take a look at the videos that are linked in you signature. Your car does sound really good. And thanks for the before video as well. You're right there, also. Computer speakers don't do the greatest job at representing an exhaust note, let alone one from a shitty cellphone video. LOL. Thanks for the advice, man.
no problem Mumbles

also, here's a cold start idle clip that's got a little more sound detail in it... fast forward to 1:25 is when I actually start the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ty1vRR1LM

Quick Reply: Idle vid of my 224R on stock exhaust manifolds