Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle vid of my 224R on stock exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle vid of my 224R on stock exhaust manifolds

Finished up installing a TSP 224 114LSA cam in my car this weekend. I wasn't really looking for a cam that made big power since my wife also uses the car from time to time. After looking through lots of dyno sheets and old threads on here I decided to get this cam based on the nice torque curve and street manners.

Although I don't have headers or a converter the car still drove great without a tune except for some stop light surging. I just had the car finished up with a custom Tiburon tune and it drives way better now, it doesn't really pull the brakes much if any and idles nicely at 850rpm. Definately a street friendly cam that makes good power all around and pulls nicely to redline.

BTW- Yes I'm getting some LT's and a small converter soon along with an LS6 intake. Wife won't let me spend the money all at once .

Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good.....
Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

cam sounds really good
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds good. I am in the middle of installing a very similar cam. Thanks for the giving me an idea of how she'll sound.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

sounds badass... nastycamed98??
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is a stall required for that cam?
Old 10-03-2009, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
Is a stall required for that cam?
+1..also what kind of exhuast set up do you have stock mainfolds and?????
Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

the cam wont run to its fullest potential without a Converter. so really its up to you.
i would go with a 3200 stall with that cam.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds mean !!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

The cam works great on a stock converter with a good tune; there's very little drag on the brakes but you can just set the idle a tad lower to fix that. Yes, a small converter will help but not too much in terms of driveability since the cam makes lots of lowend power.

I'm running stock manifolds to a 3" ORY and 3" Magnaflow bullet dumped at the axle. I want to run the exhaust out the rear because of some minor resonance inside the cabin.

Angel- NastyCamd98 LOL.....more like babyCamd98 LMFAO!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That is why it sounds so good, I could see there was no catback.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

sounds good....a cheaper alternative to long tubes would be some shorties or a set of ported manifolds...wont make the mid range grunt of a lt setup but either would be worth a few more ponies...those 98 manifolds are really restrictive on the inlet area....
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm actually really fond of this cam... been thinking about upgrading to a low 230's, but I'm a little afraid of PTV clearance and loosing my low end torque and driveability of my 224R cam...
Old 10-04-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Love the lope.
If you have time could you do another video with the car in park and then placing it in drive for a minute or so.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

I was looking at the manifolds the other day and noticed they are sorta reduced at the flange then step to a larger diameter.

I'm definately gonna get some longtubes but since I think my tranny gave up already, its on the wait list till I sort out the shifting issue.

SoulTKR- I saw some of your vids and I absolutely love the way your car sounds, very docile. Im also eventually going to look at some aftermarket heads in the future cuz those #'s are very impressive.

I'll get some more vids as well; idle comes down about 150rpm(give or take) and settles nicely to about 750rpm or so. Soon as I have time I'll have some vids up.

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I'm actually really fond of this cam... been thinking about upgrading to a low 230's, but I'm a little afraid of PTV clearance and loosing my low end torque and driveability of my 224R cam...
I wouldn't, that is a perfect street setup with good power and plenty trq.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't think an LSA of 114 would lope that much. Sounds good, but now I'm confused as to what cam I eventually want to install. I'd like to keep the exhaust setup in my sig without it becoming obnoxious once I get my H/C. I was considering going with either a 224/224 LSA 114 or 228/228 LSA 114, but if its gonna lope that much I may have to consider something different. Mmm...?

Whoops. Not trying to hijack. Like I said, car sounds good, man. LOL
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
I was looking at the manifolds the other day and noticed they are sorta reduced at the flange then step to a larger diameter.

I'm definately gonna get some longtubes but since I think my tranny gave up already, its on the wait list till I sort out the shifting issue.

SoulTKR- I saw some of your vids and I absolutely love the way your car sounds, very docile. Im also eventually going to look at some aftermarket heads in the future cuz those #'s are very impressive.

I'll get some more vids as well; idle comes down about 150rpm(give or take) and settles nicely to about 750rpm or so. Soon as I have time I'll have some vids up.

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Thanks man... You gotta remember though to that I'm a 6.0 as well. And my heads are milled to 59cc (dished LQ4 pistons)... so that helped me out a bit in the numbers department I'm sure. But with H/C/LT's with a great tune, you'll be sure to get a grin on your face every time you stomp on it...

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I wouldn't, that is a perfect street setup with good power and plenty trq.
Yea.... I guess i'm just itching to break that 500rwhp mark and then I'm done with the engine mods. Just trying to figure out a way to do it, without compromising what I have now... I'll definitely take your input to heart though, always thought you had plenty of good CORRECT information given on this forum

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I didn't think an LSA of 114 would lope that much. Sounds good, but now I'm confused as to what cam I eventually want to install. I'd like to keep the exhaust setup in my sig without it becoming obnoxious once I get my H/C. I was considering going with either a 224/224 LSA 114 or 228/228 LSA 114, but if its gonna lope that much I may have to consider something different. Mmm...?

Just because you get a good set of heads and a cam doesn't mean your car will be obnoxious. It's all about the right exhaust combination... I know you want to keep your exhaust as is, could you go into more detail why? If you listen to my videos mines pretty subtle... and guess what! My exhaust is all straight open pipes except for ONE Magnaflow muffler... and look how quiet it is when cruising. It's kinda crazy when you think about it...
Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I didn't think an LSA of 114 would lope that much.
Thats what I thought, it sounds more like a 112.
Sounds good though.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Just because you get a good set of heads and a cam doesn't mean your car will be obnoxious. It's all about the right exhaust combination... I know you want to keep your exhaust as is, could you go into more detail why? If you listen to my videos mines pretty subtle... and guess what! My exhaust is all straight open pipes except for ONE Magnaflow muffler... and look how quiet it is when cruising. It's kinda crazy when you think about it...
When I said I'd like to retain the exhaust setup I have now, I should have been more clear...

I don't want to buy another catback system. I like the Loudmouth exhaust and I plan to keep it. When it comes to LM, all you hear in these threads is how terrible the LM catbacks are when you add LT's and they go on to say it gets even worse when you upgrade your cam. Because of this, when I did my LT's, I was very concerned the exhaust note would become over-the-top and I would no longer like it. That is why I went with the catted Y in an attempt to tame it down ever so slightly and I'd say I succeeded because I still like it.

A H/C upgrade is definitely in the future for my car and I feel I may be pushing my luck with trying to find a Combo that will allow me to keep the LM and still be able to tolerate it. I have yet to decide on which camshaft and my decision will definitely be influenced by how it will change the sound of my car. It's not the sole factor in the equation, but it is important to me. I was under the impression a higher LSA would result in less of a loping idle. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Which, as of now, is what I believe will help keep the car within the realm of the sound it produces now and achieving my goal of added peformance.

I know I would also trade some top end hp/torque, but would gain some down low with an LSA of say 114 compared to an 110.

My previous post simply stated my surprise as to how much lope was present with this specific cam and it having LSA I thought I was looking for. I guess this means I have a little more research to do before I make my final decision. Any input/advice in the matter is gladly accepted.

Quick Reply: Idle vid of my 224R on stock exhaust manifolds