Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking out the exhaust after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoking out the exhaust after cam swap

Probably get a lil more help with a new thread. anyways as it says, im getting a good amount of smoke out of the exhaust. Id assume its a vavle seal issue, but i double check and WAS possitive i didnt forget one. I let it idle up to temp just to make sure it wasnt a first time start issue. And as of now its still smoking, im going to give it another go once it cools down. I got a killer headache from the fumes which makes me think gas...but could it honest run that rich and idle fine...well for an untuned big cam lol. Im going to pull the plugs and look for one drenched in oil tomarrow or later tonight. Anybody else ran into this problem and it just be a issue with fueling?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car was tuned and it still smells like gas until it warms up at idle. its not running rich either.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

well i pulled the driver side plugs and all them sum bitches were black and a few I could of sworn were wet...... Could this car accually be running that damn rich and accually stay running
Old 10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you did a cam swap and are still running on a stock or an now out-dated tune?

It could certainly be running rich or lean, but you didnt post how aggressive of a cam swap this was, so I have no idea how bad the tune might be off.

But I'd be willing to bet that its just condensation. I freaked out last winter when I re-installed my heads. Lots of white smoke, black oil and dark plugs. My buddy said "Mike, just drive the car and let it burn off the condensation."

So I did, and it did!

Can was fine, it just threw me for a loop.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Im not shocked that the tune on the car wouldnt be up to par for the cam, its a 23x cam btw...what im amazed at is that it would accually run that rich without flooding out , plus a quick jap at the throttle and its wont bog...so im still thinking its a vavle seal that either I forgot(retard) or one didnt seat all the way, and im burning oil not gas...very fustrating...but least i didnt have an o ring problem

Quick Reply: smoking out the exhaust after cam swap