Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Oklahoma soon. Will running their 91 Octane damage my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine barely accelerated with 87
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you already tuned when you had that problem? I'm wondering what could cause this in some cars & not others?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is from Ok and I haven't had issues (other than water in the gas from all the rain a few years back) w/91 vs. 93. You'll be fine IMO with a safer tune on it.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I did it once when I was broke and my car was stock and another time on the highway where 87 were the only pumps working. Second time I was modded and tuned.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know lots of guys who tried 87 octane when they were stock (all had issues), and then I know a few modded guys who tried it as well (the had issues as well, but their issues were bigger ones). Then I know a couple of guys who even tried to get away with just 93 when for their boost level (FI cars) they really needed race gas, and detonation caused them to need a rebuild.

I'm sure you are not lying, but I would never use 87 in a stock car, let alone a modded one. They are high CR from the factory and require premium for a reason (and its not just so the oil guys can get more money).
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

I work at a part store and when that ethonal come the fuel pump business was booming. It was burning the pumps up.

so where abouth in oklahoma you moving. We got some pretty fast cars here in the tulsa area. So if you want some races we can get some cars togather.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
I know lots of guys who tried 87 octane when they were stock (all had issues), and then I know a few modded guys who tried it as well (the had issues as well, but their issues were bigger ones). Then I know a couple of guys who even tried to get away with just 93 when for their boost level (FI cars) they really needed race gas, and detonation caused them to need a rebuild.

I'm sure you are not lying, but I would never use 87 in a stock car, let alone a modded one. They are high CR from the factory and require premium for a reason (and its not just so the oil guys can get more money).
See and thats whats even weirder. I'm running 5.3 heads milled .018", so my CR is higher than stock & I get zero knock or ping. It's weird. Believe me, I have thought its super weird that I have had the luck with this car I have had.

Man, now I'm actually interested in getting it on the dyno to see what numbers I'm makin on this 87, LOL. I can also have my buddy hokk up his EFI live & sit in the passanger seat to see what exactly its doin on the 87. I'm sure alot of people would be interested in those results as well as myself.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by billymz28
I work at a part store and when that ethonal come the fuel pump business was booming. It was burning the pumps up.

so where abouth in oklahoma you moving. We got some pretty fast cars here in the tulsa area. So if you want some races we can get some cars togather.
Ethanol in general unless the car was made for it is bad. About the only good thing its for is the farmers (since ethanol comes from corn, the corn crop profit is sky-rocketing), and for cheep fuel, or if you are setup properly to run E85 it can have other benefits.

Most cars it will eat up pumps, lines, rubber connecters ect. Just generally bad. If you do enough research on it, you'll find that running ethanol to save money on gas is a big crock of sh*t. It doesn't save anything by the time fuel is expended to harvest the crop, and transport it to be refined, and to be refined, and to be transported as fuel. Again, biggest benefactors are the farmers (which I guess they deserve a break, but not at a good cost to us IMO).

Anyways, I'll be stationed at Altus. Doubt I'll be up for beating up on the car much unless I can find some 93 octane. But I might get bored and want to spectate sometime.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

butt dynos are not tuning tools and definitely not an indication of picking up the minor power differences of most bolt ons, much less fuel

it is likely either pulling timing or just staying in the low adaptive spark table so the timing is less

so if you hook it up don't just look for spark retard, also look at adaptive spark %

my car would not get over 60% into the performance spark table with a mix of 87 and 91 the 1 time I had to put 87 in it
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Ethanol in general unless the car was made for it is bad. About the only good thing its for is the farmers (since ethanol comes from corn, the corn crop profit is sky-rocketing), and for cheep fuel, or if you are setup properly to run E85 it can have other benefits.

Most cars it will eat up pumps, lines, rubber connecters ect. Just generally bad. If you do enough research on it, you'll find that running ethanol to save money on gas is a big crock of sh*t. It doesn't save anything by the time fuel is expended to harvest the crop, and transport it to be refined, and to be refined, and to be transported as fuel. Again, biggest benefactors are the farmers (which I guess they deserve a break, but not at a good cost to us IMO).

Anyways, I'll be stationed at Altus. Doubt I'll be up for beating up on the car much unless I can find some 93 octane. But I might get bored and want to spectate sometime.
lol not much for races in Altus honestly. I lived there as a kid, still go visit the parents every month or so...Altus does have a walmart so you can pick up octane booster as some suggested...I don't know of any 93 octane stations unless there is one on base, there are few non-ethanol stations though.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
butt dynos are not tuning tools and definitely not an indication of picking up the minor power differences of most bolt ons, much less fuel

it is likely either pulling timing or just staying in the low adaptive spark table so the timing is less

so if you hook it up don't just look for spark retard, also look at adaptive spark %

my car would not get over 60% into the performance spark table with a mix of 87 and 91 the 1 time I had to put 87 in it

See thats what i was told as well, that it would just kick me into a "low octane fuel table". Which like I stated I know is costing me some power. But I did notice a difference between ethonol & non-ethonol gas. Take my word for it or not, doesnt bother me.

But my car went from not being able to break them loose thru third to getting a 4th gear scratch, got better throttle response & picked up a decent amount of gas mileage. This is just what I personally observed happen to the car and I drive it everyday so I notice if its not running smooth. Thats what I meant by using my butt dyno.

It should be noted though at the time I made the gas switch, the pumps were not labeled as to ethonol content levels. this was before that was passed, so for all I know I was getting gas with more than 10% ethonol in it.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chavez885
lol not much for races in Altus honestly. I lived there as a kid, still go visit the parents every month or so...Altus does have a walmart so you can pick up octane booster as some suggested...I don't know of any 93 octane stations unless there is one on base, there are few non-ethanol stations though.
Yeah, I've been out there before, but don't recall the octane. I doubt base has it for sale if no where else does. Other than the Walmart and the base, I don't really recall too much out there at all
Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

i think my butt dyno is broken. I dont notice any difference in the way my car runs with 87 vs non eth 91. I use 87 when i know im not going to be racing for a while (like winter time)
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Oklahoma sucks!!! Their beer is diluted....the gasoline is diluted, i'd hate to see what the women look like, no offense to the wagon burners
Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've been out there before, but don't recall the octane. I doubt base has it for sale if no where else does. Other than the Walmart and the base, I don't really recall too much out there at all
Just found out there is a gas station in town that has 93 non ethanol...you should be able to sleep tonight
Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
i think my butt dyno is broken. I dont notice any difference in the way my car runs with 87 vs non eth 91. I use 87 when i know im not going to be racing for a while (like winter time)
Hey Tyler, so you havent noticed a negative effect from using 87 either huh?

Quick Reply: Moving to Oklahoma soon. Will running their 91 Octane damage my setup?