Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Oklahoma soon. Will running their 91 Octane damage my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Moving to Oklahoma soon. Will running their 91 Octane damage my setup?

The car is my Formula in my sig;

1998 Formula WS6
PRC 5.3l stage 2.5 heads from TSP
MS3 cam, FAST 92mm intake, 42# injectors, 255lph fuel pump, SLP underdrive pulley, PTM TB, SLP lid, LS6 oil pump, tuned by PCM's for less.

It has always ran stellar on 93 Octane that it is used to getting. However given the higher CR it is now with the heads (not sure exactly what it would have been bumped up to), I am worried I might run into detonation with running the lower octane through it (Oklahoma and some surrounding states only have 91 octane available as thier "premium").

Is this something I should worry about? Or will my Formula be fine to run on the slightly lower octane?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

worse case you have it de-tuned a little bit.

depends on how dialed in...and "hot" the tune is.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

i live in tulsa and i have no problems running on 91. only problem i see is if you are tuned for 93.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on where you move to here there is still 93 on pump in certain places. I know of a couple places in the Tulsa area if you just have to run 93.

I'll hear **** over this but I run basic 87 w/o ethonol in mine & have no issues. I'll throw a tank of 91 in if I'm goin to the track, but for my daily driving I run 87. But I refuse to buy ethonol gas, I picked up power & MPG switching to non-ethonol.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Depending on where you move to here there is still 93 on pump in certain places. I know of a couple places in the Tulsa area if you just have to run 93.

I'll hear **** over this but I run basic 87 w/o ethonol in mine & have no issues. I'll throw a tank of 91 in if I'm goin to the track, but for my daily driving I run 87. But I refuse to buy ethonol gas, I picked up power & MPG switching to non-ethonol.
What did you do to test this MPG and power gain from non-ethanol gas?

The lack of 93 octane in OKC or anywere in this country is bullshit when 99% of the gas stations east of the Mississippi river have 93 for the same price as 91 yet 93 in OKC is $4-$5 a gallon? It's crap.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

^ I agree its crap, but its kinda pointless to argue as it will remain there no matter what.

I'm not going to "de-tune" the car. I'm only going to be stationed there for 5 months, and the car is setup perfect as is. The car was tuned safe, so I'm sure I have at least a little wiggle room.

I know guys who have ran 87 octane before, but most get pings and some pick up knock. Not to mention I will be more suseptable to that given my higher than stock CR. Perhaps I'll be okay, but will need to cut back on opening up the throttle?

Any more input or thoughts on this?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

my car was also tuned with 93 octane. i had the tuner re tune it to run fine with 91 because thats all they had. i honestly dont think you will have any problems.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by matt1289
What did you do to test this MPG and power gain from non-ethanol gas?

The lack of 93 octane in OKC or anywere in this country is bullshit when 99% of the gas stations east of the Mississippi river have 93 for the same price as 91 yet 93 in OKC is $4-$5 a gallon? It's crap.
Well my car has never been on a dyno or even had the H/C set-up tuned, LOL. But the ol' butt-o-meter felt it pick up & I watch my mileage like a hawk since my car is daily driven & I picked up 80 miles per tank of gas after the switch with the only thing changing being running QT ethonol gas to Sinclair non-ethonol gas.

The only knock I get is if I'm in the lower RPM's & try to speed up without down shifting. Other than that none at all & I watch my Aeroforce scan gauge like a hawk as well. It stays set to coolant temp & KR. Most KR I have ever seen was tryin to speed up in 6th gear up a hill on the highway & it hit 9.0 KR but went back to 0 as soon as I down shifted to 5th & brought the RPM's back up.

Been running this way daily driving for over 2yrs now without a single issue.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

you can always throw a can of octane boost in every tank.

can't hurt.

should yield about 91.5 octane give or take.
could be an easy preventative measure....
Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How long have you been driving like that untuned? My car sounded like it had open headers with a donky dick cam untuned lol. That might have something to do with it getting pissed at ethanol gas sounds good in my head anyway. I haven't noticed any MPG changes with 10% ethanol to 100% gas. Didn't notice a ol' butt-o-meter change either lol. Come to think of it the 10% ethanol seems to have a smoother running feel to it.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by matt1289
How long have you been driving like that untuned? My car sounded like it had open headers with a donky dick cam untuned lol. That might have something to do with it getting pissed at ethanol gas sounds good in my head anyway. I haven't noticed any MPG changes with 10% ethanol to 100% gas. Didn't notice a ol' butt-o-meter change either lol. Come to think of it the 10% ethanol seems to have a smoother running feel to it.
Been 2yrs now & it idles just fine solid at 900rpm. It never hunts for idle, never dies, always starts on the first bump of the key. Runs like a top, just spits out super rich fumes & clouds of unspent fuel if I nail it. Honestly the car runs like a top untuned & has nice throttle response as well. I have been absolutely amazed since the install of how well it runs without a tune. And my exhaust sound just fine to me, not sure why yours sounded like it did.

After the install I used QT ethonol gas for about a month & was goin thru 2 tanks a week. I switched to 100% from Sinclair gas & my mileage per tank went from struggling to get 200 mile to getting 270 miles. And saving me $20/week in gas.

Nothing changed except for the gas I put in the car. Same mileage driven every week & the car is always daily driven. So I know for a fact it was the ethonol gas causing my shitty mileage.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can just slightly detune it, shouldnt hurt you at all, if any.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not going to be a big deal. I've tuned LS1's with 28* of timing, that didn't even knock with 89 octane.

Unless your car has a ton of timing, and running on the leaner side of A/F, I wouldn't worry about it. See if you can find someone in your area with some kind of logging software, and the ability to log knock retard. That's really the only way you're going to be able to tell for 100% sure whether or not it's liking the new gas.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Good info! I'll probably just have to see how it likes or dislikes the slightly lower octane. It had room left for more timing, and less fuel, but was tuned on the safe side, so I am also guessing now that I will be fine.

Speaking of ethanol at gas stations, theres 1 gas station in the town I am at right now that is 100% ethanol free. Its a BP gas station. It says "helping your car go farther with invogorate!" (whatever that is). I have filled up from an empty tank there, vs going other places that post "may contain up to 10% ethanol" and have seen virtually no difference in mileage with driving habits being the same between the two. I was expecting to see a difference. However, not knowing what this invigorate stuff is, perhaps its an ethanol substitute or something.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

in tulsa here car in sig no problems on 91 octane. I pretty much know all the oklahoma cars in this thread and they run seem to run good also. Plus we got Ed Wright here in tulsa who can get your tune spot on if you do run into any problems.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Ed's a great guy. He used to do all my tuning till I met Bryan Herter. I'll be stationed at Altus. I was there once before but I don't recall if they had greater than 91 octane or not. I know many people in the state can only get 91 octane.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 AM

Well my car has never been on a dyno or even had the H/C set-up tuned, LOL. But the ol' butt-o-meter felt it pick up & I watch my mileage like a hawk since my car is daily driven & I picked up 80 miles per tank of gas after the switch with the only thing changing being running QT ethonol gas to Sinclair non-ethonol gas.

The only knock I get is if I'm in the lower RPM's & try to speed up without down shifting. Other than that none at all & I watch my Aeroforce scan gauge like a hawk as well. It stays set to coolant temp & KR. Most KR I have ever seen was tryin to speed up in 6th gear up a hill on the highway & it hit 9.0 KR but went back to 0 as soon as I down shifted to 5th & brought the RPM's back up.

Been running this way daily driving for over 2yrs now without a single issue.
Running 87 octane is not good for your engine.
Running non-ethanol gas is good for your engine.
Gauging performance by the seat-dyno is stupid.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:08 AM

Been 2yrs now & it idles just fine solid at 900rpm. It never hunts for idle, never dies, always starts on the first bump of the key. Runs like a top, just spits out super rich fumes & clouds of unspent fuel if I nail it. Honestly the car runs like a top untuned & has nice throttle response as well. I have been absolutely amazed since the install of how well it runs without a tune. And my exhaust sound just fine to me, not sure why yours sounded like it did.

After the install I used QT ethonol gas for about a month & was goin thru 2 tanks a week. I switched to 100% from Sinclair gas & my mileage per tank went from struggling to get 200 mile to getting 270 miles. And saving me $20/week in gas.

Nothing changed except for the gas I put in the car. Same mileage driven every week & the car is always daily driven. So I know for a fact it was the ethonol gas causing my shitty mileage.
First you say 80 miles per tank.
Now you say 70 miles per tank.
Which is it?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Good info! I'll probably just have to see how it likes or dislikes the slightly lower octane. It had room left for more timing, and less fuel, but was tuned on the safe side, so I am also guessing now that I will be fine.

Speaking of ethanol at gas stations, theres 1 gas station in the town I am at right now that is 100% ethanol free. Its a BP gas station. It says "helping your car go farther with invogorate!" (whatever that is). I have filled up from an empty tank there, vs going other places that post "may contain up to 10% ethanol" and have seen virtually no difference in mileage with driving habits being the same between the two. I was expecting to see a difference. However, not knowing what this invigorate stuff is, perhaps its an ethanol substitute or something.
All the de-tune talk is bullshyte. If you're worried about it, just run 91 octane with an octane booster. You'll be fine. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running H/C with about 11.4:1 compression on 26 deg timing and 91 octane w/o problems (no knock retard). I wouldn't worry about it. If it's fine now on 93 then worst case scenario you might see a degree or two of retard but that's what your knock sensors are for. Good idea to log it once you're in OK if you're really worried about it.

Quick Reply: Moving to Oklahoma soon. Will running their 91 Octane damage my setup?