Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you just replace the #7 sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you just replace the #7 sleeve?

So, I melted the #7 piston and it looks like the sleeve is going to be damaged. I haven't tried to hone it off yet but it looks like the AL is welded to the top of the bore.

Can you just replace one sleeve?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the aluminum is just on the bore take muriatic acid to it and it will not harm the bore then make your analysis cause the bore may not be damaged at all
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Launching!

When a sleeve is installed properly it's a great fix and isn't hard to do. But it must be done correctly!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

forget about that resleeving junk. just gives u an excuse to upgrade to a 6.0 iron engine.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local machine shop here does them all the time. If done correctly you would never know the difference.
The following users liked this post:
ls7racer (02-14-2021)
Old 10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Bore damage

I assume you have an LS1 or LS6 block being in the Gen III section. Take a good look at the bore to make sure the sleeve isn't cracked. You may be able to get the aluminum off with HCL as someone suggested. Check the other pistons for cracked ring lands, etc. You then have a choice depending on what you find, of getting another block and one piston or honing your block for a set of .005" over pistons. It is possible to put a .005" over piston only in 7 if the block and the rest of the pistons are good and you are on a tight budget.

I don't like sleeving the LS1 or LS6 blocks with dry liners to repair them. I have done a few successfully but there is no guarantee. There is a coolant passage between the bores on these blocks. That's why we, Darton and I, developed the MID wet liners for these Gen III blocks. The later blocks, Gen IV are true siamese blocks which I have sleeved hundreds of with both dry and wet liners.

Steve

Originally Posted by blacksi
So, I melted the #7 piston and it looks like the sleeve is going to be damaged. I haven't tried to hone it off yet but it looks like the AL is welded to the top of the bore.

Can you just replace one sleeve?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
I assume you have an LS1 or LS6 block being in the Gen III section. Take a good look at the bore to make sure the sleeve isn't cracked. You may be able to get the aluminum off with HCL as someone suggested. Check the other pistons for cracked ring lands, etc. You then have a choice depending on what you find, of getting another block and one piston or honing your block for a set of .005" over pistons. It is possible to put a .005" over piston only in 7 if the block and the rest of the pistons are good and you are on a tight budget.

I don't like sleeving the LS1 or LS6 blocks with dry liners to repair them. I have done a few successfully but there is no guarantee. There is a coolant passage between the bores on these blocks. That's why we, Darton and I, developed the MID wet liners for these Gen III blocks. The later blocks, Gen IV are true siamese blocks which I have sleeved hundreds of with both dry and wet liners.

Steve
Thanks for the input, yeah it's an LS6 block. I didn't really think of oversizing just the #7. That sounds interesting, I actually thought of possibly going with a slightly lower compression piston in that hole just to keep from burning it up again. I even through out dumb ideas like going with a colder plug just in that hole and/or adding a slight weld bead around the intake hole to the #7 to restrict some of the air being forced down it. I am going to have the injectors sent in and checked but right now all my other pistons are on the blackish rich side and really just this one is clean and lean.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default tuning

Cylinder 7 runs leaner and and possibly hotter than than the other cylinders on these engines with the factory manifold. Don't screw with the intake port. Tune the engine so cylinder 7 is rich enough to keep it out of detonation. In other words, check the plugs during tuning.

When you tune with an O2 sensor, the sensor is reading the average of all four cylinders on that bank. It will not tell you where each individual cylinder is in terms of A/F ratio. Same issue would hold if you had one injector that flowed less than the other three. I repaired a block last month with a cracked #1 cylinder due to a bad injector.

Steve
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

One issue I was concerned with as far as adding more fuel goes is the front hole actually has carbon build up on the piston, from running rich I assume. Assuming that that injector is not running a little leaner than the others. It would be nice if you could do a little tweaking per cylinder.

Quick Reply: Can you just replace the #7 sleeve?