Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help broken extractor!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M1T/A
Been soaking it every night with marvel. What is fluid film? What is a edm machine?

EDM = electrical discharge machine

It uses and electrode with current to burn though anything that will conduct electricity. Depending on the machine and the operator, some of them can burn very accurately and not damage the threads. It's the same thing as drilling it out basically; it will remove the center and leave the threads. The threads can then be removed by a tap and/or pick. They are pretty awesome, some of them can even burn threads in hard material, including carbide.

The only place your likely to find one is a machine shop, and not many automotive machine shops have them. They are widely used in manufacturing however.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default Calm down killer!

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
You're crying about spending $400 yet you're thinking about building a stroker? Perhaps you should rethink that, as you will spend at LEAST 12-15x that, without going crazy. Not trying to be a dick, but you need to know what you're getting yourself into.
I am trying to avoid pulling the motor. I never said i was going to build a stroker. I said maybe an lq9 shortblock.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaveX
EDM = electrical discharge machine

It uses and electrode with current to burn though anything that will conduct electricity. Depending on the machine and the operator, some of them can burn very accurately and not damage the threads. It's the same thing as drilling it out basically; it will remove the center and leave the threads. The threads can then be removed by a tap and/or pick. They are pretty awesome, some of them can even burn threads in hard material, including carbide.

The only place your likely to find one is a machine shop, and not many automotive machine shops have them. They are widely used in manufacturing however.
I am going to call around and see if i can find one and get an idea of the cost.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M1T/A
I am going to call around and see if i can find one and get an idea of the cost.
You would most likely need to pull the motor and disassemble it if you go this route.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Launching!

you probably don't wanna hear this but why not just use the other 3 bolts and call it a day. 1200 horsepower ford modulars only use 3 bolt motor mounts without any problems why would you? i know it might be half assin it but i mean it will suffice.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by livefast1
you probably don't wanna hear this but why not just use the other 3 bolts and call it a day. 1200 horsepower ford modulars only use 3 bolt motor mounts without any problems why would you? i know it might be half assin it but i mean it will suffice.
its a head bolt........
Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

shoot got it confused with poster number 5's thread, works got my brain all mushy

Quick Reply: Help broken extractor!