Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on mods

Well idk which way to go. I got an ls1 out of a 2000 camaro and it's going into am fd rx7. The part that I am stuck on is that idk which way I wanna go with the build. Do I build all motor do I go with spray or do I go turbo. The only reason I wanna decide this soon is so that I know what to do to the motor while it's sitting on a pallet. I Donna wanna get headers and an na cam and then decide on turbo. And I don't wanna do a nitrous cam if it's gonna be all motor. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. I wanna thank you guys ahead of time for any help.

Todd
Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

go turbo
Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I would like to say that the car will be driven daily and that my goal is to make around 430rwhp all motor and then add a 100 shot for when it goes down the strip. So what I am asking then i guess would be can this goal be reached wihout getting new heads and what would need to be done to reach this goal of 430 whp and also be ready for a 100 shot. Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Youll need your basic support mods like an airlid, longtubes, catback. Wouldnt hurt to get a LS6 intake over that LS1. You can find tons in the for sale section for $250-$325 or so. You can make that power with stock heads and a "bigger" cam. But I would recommend doing a set of LS1/LS6 heads with a little work done to them and then have someone spec out a cam that can get you to your HP goal, while keeping it a good driver for the street.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Would I need a nitrous cam for the spray or is it not gonna matter since it's a 100 shot. Also what would be a better choice an ls6 or a fast 90 for what my goals are. Once again I wanna thank all the members for their advice it's really helping on my decision making
Old 10-30-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

In my research for a cam I've seen a lot of people praise the cheatr cam for a daily driver. It isn't quite where you want to be for HP (~400rwhp) but that's just a number, your real proof for power is at the track. It's also real great for nitrous; some people running high tens and easy 11's through factory exhaust with this on N2O.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Build a forced induction motor
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 100 shot the cam really won't matter. You can get a street friendly cam that will work well daily driving and it will work good for the nitrous as well. What mods will the car have? What kind of drivetrain will be behind the motor? 430 RWHP will more than likely be out of reach cam only. Especially trying to keep the driveability good. We have heads/cam combo's starting just over $1600 that will put down those kind of numbers. Let me know and I'm sure we can get a combo put together to put down the numbers you are wanting.

Jon
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
For 100 shot the cam really won't matter. You can get a street friendly cam that will work well daily driving and it will work good for the nitrous as well. What mods will the car have? What kind of drivetrain will be behind the motor? 430 RWHP will more than likely be out of reach cam only. Especially trying to keep the driveability good. We have heads/cam combo's starting just over $1600 that will put down those kind of numbers. Let me know and I'm sure we can get a combo put together to put down the numbers you are wanting.

Jon
Texas Speed & Performance
it's gonna have midrange headers because hinson makes them for this swap. That'll go into a y pipe into a single 3.5 inch. Also either an ls6 intake or a p/p fast 90 with a 92mm tb. Filter instead of a lid and an underdrive pully. The rear is a kaaz with hardened 3.90's 300m axels and an alumin driveshaft. This set up is used on hinsons tt ls. It runs an 8.4. And no problems yet. As for clutch and flywheel idk yet.

I checked out your side and your prices look good. Once I make up my mind I'll be giving you a call. I also gotta talk to cartech because they'll be most likely the ones installing it and tunning.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formulals187
Build a forced induction motor
I've been reading a lot on here lately but I still don't know that much about the ls. Is a turbo set up going to be reliable for a dd?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1994ls1rx7
I've been reading a lot on here lately but I still don't know that much about the ls. Is a turbo set up going to be reliable for a dd?

Built properly they're very reliable and if you keep them out of boost they're also pretty decent on gas.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Hey, I'm doin an RX-7 too! It all kinda depends on how much money you are looking to spend and if you are wanting to increase your power in the future. With the numbers you are looking for, naturally aspirated is prob the way to go. You don't really need a turbo unless you are looking to run more then 600hp and even that you can make NA. Here's my humble view on your three options:

Naturally Aspirated: Since you already have the motor out I would do your build right now. I'd take the money that you were planning on spending on the turbo(s) and stroke the engine + new heads. If you don't want to put this money up-front, NA is very easy to build on one piece at a time. You'll be maxing your HP around 700 (yes I know, it's possible to make more)

Nitrous: IMO, don't go with spray. Yes, you get the most HP/$ with nitrous but I think it's just a pain in the a$$. If you are looking at doing this, I would suggest new heads with direct injection (prob new pistons too). A new cam isn't going to do you a whole lot of good, especially if you are only running nitrous at the track (you won't be getting your max performance in daily driving).

Forced Induction: Always a good option, has the max potential, but also costs the most. If you are looking to stay under 600-700 hp, then you prob don't want to go turbo because it isn't cost effective. If you are looking to go over 700hp, I would def suggest looking at a twin turbo setup (it's hard to run single turbo piping in our small engine bays). My case is a little different than yours because I am doing a build from the ground up whereas you already have a motor but feel free to look at my build if you have any questions.

Hope this helps!