Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 HUMMER H2 LQ4--L92 Head swap???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 HUMMER H2 LQ4--L92 Head swap???

Okay I am new to doing engine upgrades to my H2. I have read bits and pieces on doing a L92 Head swap to my Lq4. And It very much interests me. Ideally I would like to be able to do this swap without getting too carried away. I would like to keep it so that when you drive the truck the only thing that is different is the amount of power. Meaning I would like to keep my fuel injection system and not have any lights going off on the dash etc.... So I have a few ????? before I dive into this.

1.) Can I do this swap and use my current fuel injection system?
2.) When doing this swap do I need a new intake manifold?-- I have read about guys switching to the LS intake then having to change the water pump etc... I am not too excited about doing that
3.) Will I need a different cam?? I have read that if you use the factory cam you need to have reliefs milled into the pistons?? I really do not want to machine the piston heads
4.) If I need to get a different cam to avoin machining pistons, what cam should I look into for more low end torque/power??
5.) Will I need to do anything with the ECM to adjust for these new heads?
6.)What other electronics will I need to change with the new heads??

What I am really looking for here is more "on road" power. After going through a slew off road upgrades the truck is heavier, and taller and well..... Okay it was like driving a shed down the highway stock, now its like driving a full blown pole barn down the highway. Its constantly hunting for gears and lacks passing power, especially when towing my boat. So any help would be great!

Thanks,
Eric
Old 10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1.) Can I do this swap and use my current fuel injection system? not the injectors
2.) When doing this swap do I need a new intake manifold?-- I have read about guys switching to the LS intake then having to change the water pump etc... I am not too excited about doing that. Stock will not work, either a L76/LS3 or FAST makes a truck LSXr style intake.
3.) Will I need a different cam?? I have read that if you use the factory cam you need to have reliefs milled into the pistons?? I really do not want to machine the piston heads. The LQ4 is fine for putting a cam into, it has a 6.7cc dish. The heads should be milled to bring the CR back up and a cam is needed to get any use out of the heads.
4.) If I need to get a different cam to avoin machining pistons, what cam should I look into for more low end torque/power?? Call Geoff at EPS, a sponsor on here, he is a great guy to deal with and has some nice cams. PatrickG would be another good choice.
5.) Will I need to do anything with the ECM to adjust for these new heads? You will need to have a tune done, nothing special.
6.)What other electronics will I need to change with the new heads?? New injectors and harness adapters for the injectors, the trucks have odd connectors. Those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. This helps me to learn more about this engine.

Ok What Fuel injectors should I be looking at for street use?

Do both of the you mentioned L76 or LS3 intakes only require me to replace the waterpump? If so is this water pump sufficient for a truck application, as in does it flow enough coolant?

Also my truck is drive by wire, can I use my factory throttle body? I have no idea what size it is??

What kind of power gain should I expect with the new heads, a street cam and street injectors?

Am I looking at more off the line power, or am I looking at less off the line but more top end power?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

U need the L92 intake and TB to match the heads. Then you need the adaptor harness found at www.torquerush dot com. Also some 42 lb/hr marine injectors will be needed as well, I can assure you your stockers won't flow enough.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not too dissuede you at all, but you say it's hunting for gears and is taller, i.e. bigger tires I'm assuming. Have you thought of regearing your diffs?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your looking for more power man, i would hit up Predator. I don't know if you have any mods done now, Their stage 3 wake up package says it'll give up to 122 more hp. I just bought an 2005 SUT and will do it some time.

http://www.predatorinc.com/
Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pillarpod
if your looking for more power man, i would hit up Predator. I don't know if you have any mods done now, Their stage 3 wake up package says it'll give up to 122 more hp. I just bought an 2005 SUT and will do it some time.

http://www.predatorinc.com/
No handheld programmer, or tune for that matter, will give a gasoline engine anywhere near 122 hp.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
No handheld programmer, or tune for that matter, will give a gasoline engine anywhere near 122 hp.
It's a good think it comes with headers, full exhaust, and intake then.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

They redo the ECM and is the biggest inprovment, "Saying" it will give additional 64 hp and 79 ft/lbs of torque. Think you could get the same result if you did their intake and full exhaust but skip their ECM swap and get a dyno tune?

Quick Reply: 2003 HUMMER H2 LQ4--L92 Head swap???