Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cola, Howards or Kellogg... Anyone running these cranks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cola, Howards or Kellogg... Anyone running these cranks?

Well I blew up my 98 LS1 so the Bird need a heart transplant. I don't have much, but at the same time I don't want to build a POS. If it takes a little time then so be it; even if I have to install the engine then mod it later after I accumulate all the parts.

I think that a 408 from the LQ4/9 is my best bet; I would like to have a LS3, but the money saved by opting for the LQx would be better spent I think. If not let me know.

Anyways... I have been researching cranks because the last thing I want to skimp on is the heart of the engine. I have been reading great things about the Cola, Howards and Kellogg cranks. They are all made here in the U.S. which is a big deal to me, but whats more is their pedigree; Kellogg 50+ years, cola since 1977 and Howards 50+ years as well.

Is there anyone here that is running one of these bad boys? If so, what are your thought or options? Well anyone's option for that matter.

Thanks guys!

DM
Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 902 Likes on 643 Posts

Not that I have any information to give but how much power are you planning on running?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Cola was out of business? I know Katech used a lot of their cranks, and Katech is one of the very most reputable shops in the nation.

Those are not really the big names in the LS world, though. Lunati and Callies are the two big names in LSx. Eagle is the most common budget crank.

Anyway, why are you so hyped up about cranks? It's the last component I would be worried about.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Not that I have any information to give but how much power are you planning on running?

It will be n/a for a while, that is till I recoup and have the funds for a Twin Turbo setup, so in the end I guess 700w/h/p -/+. I know it will be overkill, but I am looking to the future with this really. I don't want to do this more than once ya know.

For example, I got a MWC Fab9 setup with a Strange N case, Spool, Richmond DD 4.10s, Strange axles and Mark Williams yoke. I was going to run this on my LS1 till I got around to building the engine. Did I need a monster of a rear for a LS1... no, but I was looking to the future. On a side not, sadly the whole center section got lost in shipping, now I need to file a claim with FedEx... BLAH!!!

DM
Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Cola is makes a top notch crankshaft but they are not cheep. Callies Dragonslayer would work great and not cost as much. Howards Cranks come from Callies, according to Callies Howards buys up Callies extra stock cranks.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I've used a Kellogg in a Ford mod motor once. It was an odd crank to balance, like the counterweights were clocked incorrectly. It just took a little extra effort, but it worked out fine. The engine ended up makinging an assload of power.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Callies Dragonslayer as stated is a good choice. We offer and All American build and utilize the Dragonslayer and Oliver rods.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are worrying way too much about needing a Cola, Kellogg, or Howards crank. While these are top notch cranks, you can get the same strength and quality at much lower prices with Callies, Lunati, and even Eagle and SCAT. There are plenty of LSx cars making 700+ horse on these cranks. I wouldn't sweat it. Hell, even the stock LS9 crank is rated for 700+ horse. The part to pay attention is the balancing and clearances for the mains and rods.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

We use Scat, Lunati, Callies, and stock GM. BAD2000TA is correct, a quality crank is important but the week spots to spend money and time on are; connecting rods, rod bolts, the balance job, and assembly. Rod bolts are usualy the weak point!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the info guys! I just like being safer than sorry. I am looking at some used Lunati Pro rods and just want a comparable crank to go with it.

Bad2KTA - you mentioned a LS9 crank, is that a 4.125?

Thanks again guys!

DM
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My Cola is still "cranking"..125,000 miles on my stroker motor. Not easy finding them anymore, but if you do, you will have PERHAPS the best crank ever made.

Quick Reply: Cola, Howards or Kellogg... Anyone running these cranks?