Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help!! oil dripping out tail pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help!! oil dripping out tail pipes...

67000 mile stock ls1 changed cam to trex pac springs, comp hardened pushrods, 80 mm tb headers etc , in first gen camaro, motor was stock when i bought it, saw car run didn smoke, i changed cam and other odds and ends installed in camaor got car running and now it is smoking like a tar pit when car sets it has oil drip out of tailpipes...... checked compression there all 180-190 ish at operating temp.. blocked off pcv to see if it helped, its odd all the plugs seem to have oil on the threads... motor runs great etc, just have no idea whats up i also put rtv in the rocker bolts, any input would be appreciated.. I am at wits end i have checked everything i know to check, if it was valve seals you would think it would only be one or two taking on a oil, the motor set for about 8 months in basement be fore i installled in car...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure that it's oil?

And not just soot mixed with water vapour?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you seat the valve seals or just slip them on top of the valve?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Teching In

didn change valve stems, just springs
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

its oil,
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you pull the throttle body and look in the intake to see if it's got oil in it?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

If I let mine warm up in the garage ill see dirty sooty water coming from the tailpipes.
Any oil on your spark plugs?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the motor runs good then it would ignite the oil in the combustion chamber and you would get tons of smoke; but I highly doubt actual liquid oil driping out of the tail pipes. Especially with the good compression you listed.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwilsonf
didn change valve stems, just springs
I'm not talking about valve stems, I'm talking about valve seals, I doubt it is your valve seals though. Like ^^^^^ he said, it would be smoking if it got into your combustion chamber either way.

You should of changed the valve seals whenever you swapped your springs. Did you change your seats? Did you have one piece seat/seal or two piece? If you took your valve seals off, they are easy to damage.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

sorry I meant valve seals in other post,, I didnt change them, I have taken throttle body off and there is minimal oil residue in the intake. the car puffs a lil at startup and starts gradually getting worse as it comes up to temp.. i mean smokes like a chimney, and all the plugs seem fine but the threads of most of them have quite a bit of oil on them.. thats why its strange i dont understand how it could be having this much oil coming from somewhere and not be able to be pinpointed out.. also has minimal blowby so that would tell me that the rings are in decent shape... after it is shut off within a couple of minutes there is oil at the edge of the tailpipe. The reason i know it is oil is i changed the oil and what is there is definitely oil, its not waterery just a lil sooty but is slimy...
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with some basics:
You've got three issues - something dripping from tailpipes, oil on plug threads, car smokes after it warms up.
First, whatever is in the tailpipes must also be on the plugs - you didn't mention that they are black or oil fouled so I assume they are not. The only path to the exhaust is via the exhaust port or the cylinder. If you're running rich the black slimey liquid may be unburned fuel and water. Another alternative is your exhaust valve seal is leaking badly. Otherwise you would assume there is something going on in the cylinders. It may just be that all the smoke is condensing on the exhaust with some water so the smoking is really the problem.

For the oil on the plug threads, it must be leaking from the valve covers. Oil generaly doesn't work its way from the cylinders past the threads.

For the engine smoking - either rings, head gasket, valve seals, or oil in the intake are the probable causes (you said you put sealant on the rocker bolts), or running really rich. I would do a leak down test as a first step so you can narrow down the problem.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Just did a set of low mi, LS1 heads. [22k on them]. Customer complained of oil consumption. [1 qt <300 mi.]. Heads had the 1 pc seals on them. Seals were harder than the "back of Superman's head". Changed to 2 pc viton seals, from CC.. Done deal.
In your case:
Cam shoved the retainers into the seals?
RTV is not usually "oil pruf".. I'd use a better sealant, if it were my deal.
Is the spring seat on the 1 pc seal deal fitting the springs? Springs "flopping around", knocking the seals out??
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Teching In

the heads are not ported so I just out dab on them to make sure it wasn't going down in intake port via the rocker bolt. I looked all the seals they look fine and seat correct, but looks dont mean ne thing with them, I put a set of pac bhives that suppod b made for stock seats, the motor is 2001 so I assume it has the seal made on to seat, what can I do fix this if is the prob?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I would start by changing to the seperate valve seals and spring seats if you have the one piece combo.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but that's a lot of oil (smoke) for valve seals - doesn't mean it can't be it, but I would do a leak down.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Teching In

did a pressure check on radiator its fine didnt drop abit so i can rule out coolant smoke...but all the plugs look fine just a litle sooty from where it sets an idles, if this much oil coming from one specific cylinder i would think the plug would be wet, but is not there all dry and kinda sooty????and the engine has no blow by, so a leak down would probably be a waste of time wudn it? theres no way to tell if its a oil ring with out removing piston correct??? is there any way the pcv would cause this much smoke? especially drippin out exhaust
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this car tuned? Running this cam untuned will make it smoke like no other because it will be PIG RICH!! I'm wondering if all the smoke you see is fuel. Possibly some oil because it may be washing down the cylinders. I think the dripping is probably a mixture of moisture and soot from the fuel. If it were dripping oil then your plugs would not fire and would be soaked in oil.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Teching In

i took computer to local with dyno shop to tune enough to get running he put a trex file on it and change a few things but it idles fine just bellers smoke.. when i get car finished up i going take down and get dyno tuned, but wouldnt it smoke like that when i first started up if it was the tune not just when it gets warm???