Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq9 piston to valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lq9 piston to valve?

hey guys im just wondering if anyone knows what the max valve lift is that i can go up to on an LQ9 completely stock long block with 317 heads and stock 1.7:1 rocker arms
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not really the max valve lift that gets you into trouble with piston to valve clearance. The low lift numbers and duration are what determine the clearance. With the relatively low compression that engine has, and depending on supporting mods and what kind of vehicle it's going into, you might not need alot of duration or lift anyway!

What are some more details of the combo so that we can better recommend you a camshaft?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

i have a 98 z28 camaro. currently has a stock lq9 6.0 long block. fast intake and underdrive along with full exhaust. im looking at upgrading the stock cam to a ms4 cam and im just trying to see if i can slap that in there along with pushrods(what ever length is required)and springs and not have to rip the heads off and fly cut the pistons.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The camshaft will physically fit, but ideally you'd bump the compression up some with a head swap for instance (LS6 heads would do the trick)! But yes, with a stock long-block and unmodified heads, you will be fine on piston to valve clearance!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

ok. any clue on what length pushrods i would need to work with the ms4? im not looking for an all out drag car i just want to bump up the power a little bit.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

On a stock long-block like this, without measuring, my best guess would be 7.425" for pushrod length. Always a good idea to measure though!

Quick Reply: lq9 piston to valve?