Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 gto m6 motor with tr230 cam LOST POWER ?? BAD CAM ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id like to see how it does on the dyno running on 8 cyl
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

same here
Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

made 291/294 on 7.. but it was basically a dead cylinder. Probably goes more power then 12.5 % I would think. I hoping for over 375.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Get that thing back to the dyno. How did it get missed it was only running 7 cylinders?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by daftdrifting
Well I still don't understand what degreeing the cam does except let u know if it was ground correctly ? The cam gear only can go on one way with the dowel pin and the 3 cam bolts lined up correct ? I just put everything back together and changed the coil pack.
When you put a camshaft on a Cam Doctor, it can't give you the intake centerline because it doesn't have the piston's position to reference off of. All it can measure is lobe lift, duration, and LSA. Between the tolerances in the machining of the cam (the position of the dowel pin and bolts), and the tolerances in the chain, gears, and other components (wear and tear), a cam could easily be put in a degree or two (or more!) off of where it was supposed to be. Degreeing the cam is visual confirmation that the cam is installed correctly, and there isn't anything goofy going on.

It's good to hear everything worked out. I would be suspicious as to why the dead cylinder wasn't detected, whether it was the tuner's error, or something wrong in the ECU. I would think that the crank position sensor would be able to pick that up, it certainly went nuts when one of my plug wires internally broke and didn't fire.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

I have no idea why the tuner didn't know. all he could say is that somethings wrong with my motor like a dead cylinder or something.

I had it tuned local and the guy seemed like a tool and car didnt run right. I figured it was just in the tuning you know. I drove it a while .. then my appointment date came up for synergy in Fremont. Then after he tuned it and no power was made I knew something was wrong.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daftdrifting
I have no idea why the tuner didn't know. all he could say is that somethings wrong with my motor like a dead cylinder or something.

I had it tuned local and the guy seemed like a tool and car didnt run right. I figured it was just in the tuning you know. I drove it a while .. then my appointment date came up for synergy in Fremont. Then after he tuned it and no power was made I knew something was wrong.
So you had this car tuned twice and nobody found a dead cylinder?
FIRE YOUR TUNERS.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, if 2 different tuners didnt pick this up there is def an issue. when i had my car tuned by slowhawk, i had a bad coil pack/wire, and with in the first 2 minutes of being on the dyno and 1 pull he told me exactly what was wrong and what cyl. sounds to me like someone didnt know what they were doing and i def wouldnt allow them to touch my car again.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

yeh.. frustrates me in a way. rick at synergy seems nice. he came out checked out the engine. He said there are things he looks for before tuning. the nipple near the map sensor sometimes people forget to cap off. checks grounds, harness .. anyways we fixed a ground wire and after he dyno he basically said if and when i fix it come back to retune it. I can tell you that it did run a lot smoother after he tuned it .. even though it was still 7 cylinders.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Well congrats man !!! glad to hear you fixed everything so you gonna be out this weekend or what ???
Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

alrighty then...congrats on finding the problem!

however my cam does have 3 degrees ground in, what exactly does that mean in relation to none? could this be contributing to lower power?

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 11-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

rick@synergy is a very top notch tuner. its not his job to track down the faults in a setup, he's a tuner not a mechanic. he could spend hours trying to track down a problem. either way, glad everything turned out great! have fun with it!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

however my cam does have 3 degrees ground in, what exactly does that mean in relation to none? could this be contributing to lower power?
What it means is that all of your valve events are advanced 3 degrees compared to the cam being installed straight up. Retarding your cam 3 degrees will keep the exhaust valve closed for 3 extra degrees of crank rotation. This should increase the torque output because it keeps the pressure in the cylinder that much longer. PredatorZ is much better at analyzing valve events so hopefully he will chime in on this.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Advance and Retard:

- When you see cams specs like 224/224 .563/.563 112+4; the +4 denotes that the cam has 4 degrees of advance ground in.

- Most off the shelf cams have 2 or 4 degrees of advance ground in. This lowers the power band slightly and offers more low end and midrange at the sacrifice of a bit more top end power

- For cams used primarily on the street the advance is best appreciated. For a strip or racing setup 2 or 0 degrees advance will net you more peak power in the upper ranges of the power band

This link should help you out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
Old 11-26-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
What it means is that all of your valve events are advanced 3 degrees compared to the cam being installed straight up. Retarding your cam 3 degrees will keep the exhaust valve closed for 3 extra degrees of crank rotation. This should increase the torque output because it keeps the pressure in the cylinder that much longer. PredatorZ is much better at analyzing valve events so hopefully he will chime in on this.
I dont think the advance or retard is going to change the amount of power and torque by much. It will effect the location of the powerband more then anything.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you found the problem! I was at Thunder the other day, and they told me about the bad cylinder.

Good luck wit it!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer
rick@synergy is a very top notch tuner. its not his job to track down the faults in a setup, he's a tuner not a mechanic. he could spend hours trying to track down a problem. either way, glad everything turned out great! have fun with it!
That may be true. But if you're paying someone several hundred to "tune" your engine for you, picking up on something as obvious as a dead cylinder should be included. Diagnosis and repair would be extra, but to "tune" around a dead cylinder? NO excuse can justify that.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
That may be true. But if you're paying someone several hundred to "tune" your engine for you, picking up on something as obvious as a dead cylinder should be included. Diagnosis and repair would be extra, but to "tune" around a dead cylinder? NO excuse can justify that.
You beat me to it. It's an excuse. If a tuner can't tell that the car is missing especially with a computer hooked to it....

Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You beat me to it. It's an excuse. If a tuner can't tell that the car is missing especially with a computer hooked to it....

Actually this car was tuned twice with a dead cylinder.

Quick Reply: 04 gto m6 motor with tr230 cam LOST POWER ?? BAD CAM ?