Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Valley Cover Modifications - PCV

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid Valley Cover Modifications - PCV

I am wondering if anyone has made their own valley cover (with the solid plate for no knock sensor provisions) and made a way to draw the vacuum out of the crank case with a nipple like on the LS6 valley covers, but still keep the oil mist out of the vacuum line?

I know I could tap a plate for a nipple fitting to draw the vacuum out, but wouldn't have any way to filter the oil mist ladened air running through it.

I've looked at the LS2/LS3/LS7 valley covers and they would work, but I need to keep the profile of the valley cover the same so my Oil pressure sensor and cam sensor will still be able to hook up in the stock LS1 locations. I don't know if I could just mill that out to match the profile, but that could be an option too.

Thanks,

Cody B.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I welded up the knock sensor ports and ground/sanded them smooth, but I'm not running any type of PCV just breathers. AFAIK, the LS2,3,7 cover will not fit the LS1,6 block. You could do as I did on an LS6 cover that has the PCV built into it...

Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

That looks good after you smoothed it...I guess that's another option to add to my possibilites list.

Anyone else have one with their own made vacuum tap?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Any more input?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

I use the driver side valve cover for my pcv and on the passenger side you can drill out the oil filler cap and put another pcv valve in it. One guy tried the valley cover and kept pulling too much oil even with a baffle.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 93BlackBeast
I am wondering if anyone has made their own valley cover (with the solid plate for no knock sensor provisions) and made a way to draw the vacuum out of the crank case with a nipple like on the LS6 valley covers, but still keep the oil mist out of the vacuum line?

I know I could tap a plate for a nipple fitting to draw the vacuum out, but wouldn't have any way to filter the oil mist ladened air running through it.

Thanks,

Cody B.

I have tapped & nippled it, as you have mentioned. One way to keep mist out is to remove the PCV piping from the intake manifold (then cap the manifold podrt) & just vent the valley & head covers. You'll want to put a catch can on the rear of the driver side breather port to catch occasional pressurized oil & put filters on every vent locationl. I have done this for years without issue.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

on my 418 we drilled and tapped it, used like a bulkhead style fitting and welded a small plate on the bottom to keep oil out. worked out nice.

I'll have to get some pics sometime whenever I bring the motor home.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had another thought...if you want to keep the vacuum from the intake connection to the valley nipple, just extent the nipple fitting a couple of inches down into the valley. This eliminates having all of the internal valley surface area that sourounds the nipple. So, instead of several square inches of surface area (a funnel around the nipple that feeds oil to it) there is basically none. IMO, the oil that accumulates under covers & funnels to the vacuum ports, is the oil that people discuss that builds up so much in catch cans. Extending the nipple into space where there is no surface area from covers, head & block walls should reduce oil escape.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies again guys.

Looks like I have several options to try out, all of them look like they'd work for me.

Cody B.

Quick Reply: Solid Valley Cover Modifications - PCV