Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Pressure

I am not sure if i have a problem or if i am just paranoid.I Did my cam swap a few weks ago.I upgraded to a TSP ported ls6 oil pump.The car holds about 65psi on a cold start.And holds 65-70psi WOT.The only thing is, is that sometimes after ive been driving the car for a while, an hour or so, at idle the pressure will drop down to about 35 psi.When i had the stock pump it NEVER went below 40.Heres what really freaked me out though. This past saturday i put it on the dyno and made my 3 pulls.i did them pretty much back to back.When i pulled it off the dyno i looked down at my oil pressure and it was at around 25-30 psi.So i shut it off and hung out at the shop for a while.When i got back in it it was cooled off completely, so when i started it back up it was all normal again.The whole way home it never got low.I do have some valve seals that are leaking making the car smoke pretty bad.Could the seals be part of my problem?i dont think its the o-ring because the pressure isnt low all the time.could i have got a defective pump?or am i just being paranoid?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Launching!

What weight oil are you running??? After 3 back to back pulls the oil is very hot and definately thinned out. It does happen from time to time on cars we check. 30 lbs of preasure is not low by any means. And 60 lbs at cruze is fine. Let us know the oil you are running and it may shed some light on the flucuation???
Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You're fine man, The hotter the oil, the thinner, and less pressure you are gonna have. You are being paranoid Factory gauge isnt even close to accurate either I have had 3 oil pressure gauges on my fresh rebuilt motor in the last 1 month and all three have show different. (Factory, aftermarket, and mechanical)
Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

10w-30 Q horsepower.cruising around its sitting on about 50psi
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valve seals won't have anything to do with it. Being that the pump is ported and shimmed I would think if anything it would be the O-ring. It may not be leaking much but just enough that when the oil gets hot, it doesn't seal as well. There isn't anything wrong with 60lbs of pressure. I would watch it and if it continues to get worse, I would go back in and change the o-ring with a new one.

Jon
Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

I have actually noticed mine doin something similar lately. But I'm still on a stock pump & the bottom end has never been apart. Mine will go to 50-60psi at WOT, 40psi cruisin on the highway @ low RPM's but when I come to a stop or am idling after the car is at full temp, it'll sit down arond 30psi.

Previously it would sit at 40psi with a hot idle & about 45psi while cruising on the highway. My WOT pressure is still the same though.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing wrong with 30 psi at hot idle.....And are you reading the factory gauge? Guys, I promise those things are not the slightest bit accurate. You would be amazed to see a mechanical gauge put on your car to see actual oil pressure. Its very enlightening....
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

i knew most our factory gauges were dummy gauges basically just to give dumb owners piece of mind, but it was just alerting to notice that after owning the car for almost 6yrs now the gauge wasnt reading the same numbers I have gotten use to seeing.

I guess its time to install a mechanical gauge on the cowl kinda tucked in under the stock hood. It definetly isnt getting mounted in the cabin, LOL. Thats all I need, hot oil sprayin all around inside the car at WOT if something ever malfunctioned, LOL.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the o ring its happend 4 me ones the valve sael dont howing the oil pre
Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
i knew most our factory gauges were dummy gauges basically just to give dumb owners piece of mind, but it was just alerting to notice that after owning the car for almost 6yrs now the gauge wasnt reading the same numbers I have gotten use to seeing.

I guess its time to install a mechanical gauge on the cowl kinda tucked in under the stock hood. It definetly isnt getting mounted in the cabin, LOL. Thats all I need, hot oil sprayin all around inside the car at WOT if something ever malfunctioned, LOL.
Whats wrong with using another electric gauge? A nice Autometer or something and tap out the tap above the oil filter. I wouldn't want one of the old style inside of my car either. One came loose on a 68 I owned and soaked my left foot and the brake pedal with hot oil. I like to have never got that bitch stopped at the end of the track.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it was the o-ring wouldnt the pressure be low all the time?even on a cold start.on a cold start it almost pegs the gauge.im just not going to worry about it much and just keep an eye on it
Old 12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have seen difference between different electrical gauges on the same motor before.....
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats your opinion on an autometer electrical gauge?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Whats wrong with using another electric gauge? A nice Autometer or something and tap out the tap above the oil filter. I wouldn't want one of the old style inside of my car either. One came loose on a 68 I owned and soaked my left foot and the brake pedal with hot oil. I like to have never got that bitch stopped at the end of the track.
Well, I already have a Aeroforce gauge in my center vent & will have a PLX wideband, Autometer electric FP & boost gauges on my pillar. So I really dont wanna add another gauge inside the car.

I already called Autometer & will be buying a 2 5/8" liquid filled Pro Comp mechanical gauge w/black pod to mount on my cowl behind the raised part of my WS6 hood. That should take care of it.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

how did you mount the gauge in the vent.when i get a wideband,and possibly a new oil pressure gauge thats were i wanted to put.wasnt sure how they would mount up though
Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I had the fab shop across the street from my work water jet me a ring like Speed Inc sells. Just big enough to fit the inside of the vent cup in the T/A and a ID just big enough for the gauge to slide into. Then just popped the vent out, slid the gauge/ring together in there till it stopped, drilled a hole in the hard plastic vent duct & ran my wire.