Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
LOL^

that sir may start a wild fire amongst vette owners. vette owners=

A+ on making a damn good laugh

(in no way a pun to non nut hugging/swinggin vette owners)

Like that did you?? LOL you would just have to meet this guy to see what I mean...LOL
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a4 or m6....the ls1 camaros were putting down 290-310rwhp bone stock on dynojets.

some were lower, some were higher....but i think that plays more into the calibration of the dyno

Z28 and SS would dyno basically the same. since the only power upgrade difference that you'd notice on a dyno would be a slightly better muffler.

the guy who told you that was a moron!!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

wow you guys are going way off topic from my original post, away the guys that did get the 243 heads did you simply clean them then put them on or do a total tear down and refresh the components? i'm on a budget so doing a valve job or adding new lifter is out. also my car is a 2000 so will the valve covers work on these heads and do i use the same head gasket thickness. thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by baalic
Ya my friends is an M6 but do the HP numbers really hurt that bad when they are on an Auto??? I know a stall will show a lower hp number as well, but it almost seems like the guy at the dealership that told me my z28 only got 240 rwhp and the ss got 340.... aka sounds like bullshit. but hey I may be wrong here, and I probably am but why would the A4 have that much drivetrain loss over the m6? Aside from a stall that is....
The Z28 and the SS have two different engines that is why the difference in HP. Many people where pist off they bought the 99 Z28 and then towards the end of the year they cam out with the SS. The Z28 brought the LT1 drive train and the SS brought the LS1.

The LS1 revamped the heads, intake and the HP output and the drive train over all. They are two different cars and and the HP out put is about right. As a matter fact the reason that Chevy stopped making the Camaro was because the engineering was so good on the F-body that it was out performing the Corvette the Chevrolet flagship in many aspects.

If you look at it now the new Camaro is a completely different car. While it has a lot of potential, it will not endanger the performance pintacle of the Corvette.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02*C5;12684got124
The Z28 and the SS have two different engines that is why the difference in HP. Many people where pist off they bought the 99 Z28 and then towards the end of the year they cam out with the SS. The Z28 brought the LT1 drive train and the SS brought the LS1.

The LS1 revamped the heads, intake and the HP output and the drive train over all. They are two different cars and and the HP out put is about right???

You might be able to run a thinner Cometic gasket and pickup some hp doing it. Make sure you get new head bolts as the stocks are not reusable. And don't believe half of what you read here!!!

The 98 Z28 Camaro got the SAME MOTOR as the 1997 Corvette!! My 98 was built in the fall of 1997 and it had a LS1 in it along with all the other Corvettes. The only difference between a Z28 and A SS is Chevy let SLP mode the exaust, intake scoop on the hood and better rear gear. And in return Chevy passed on the jacked up prices along to its customers. The only difference in HP between the two is because of these modes and anything else you hear is total bullshit
Old 12-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

are all 243 heads the same? i see that there on a lot of different vehicles so i want to make sure that they can bolt up to my motor and use the valve covers
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5

The LS1 revamped the heads, intake and the HP output and the drive train over all. They are two different cars and and the HP out put is about right. As a matter fact the reason that Chevy stopped making the Camaro was because the engineering was so good on the F-body that it was out performing the Corvette the Chevrolet flagship in many aspects.
What in the ffffff.... Are you SERIOUS???
Old 12-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colews6
are all 243 heads the same? i see that there on a lot of different vehicles so i want to make sure that they can bolt up to my motor and use the valve covers
Well, there are 243 heads came out from a Z06 vettes that have LS6 motor, aka LS6 heads. Difference w/ regular 243 heads and LS6 heads? LS6 have better springs, titanium keepers/retainers, hollow valves.

IIRC, the LS4 came w/ 243 heads and some of the 5.3s/6.0s (newer ones?)came w/ them also but different casting number, 799.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
Well, there are 243 heads came out from a Z06 vettes that have LS6 motor, aka LS6 heads. Difference w/ regular 243 heads and LS6 heads? LS6 have better springs, titanium keepers/retainers, hollow valves.

IIRC, the LS4 came w/ 243 heads and some of the 5.3s/6.0s (newer ones?)came w/ them also but different casting number, 799.
correct, get a set of heads off of a vette and you will get hollow/sodium filled valves.

any other set are just standard 243s. either way they are way beter than 241s.

if you cant afford to put ls7 lifters in while you have the heads off then i would just wait to do the swap. youll regret later having to pull the heads back off (after youve done all the work once) when you want to do a cam swap on down the road.

if you can only squeeze by with one thing then do the lifters. you can change push rods and springs with the heads still on the car anyway.

resist the urge to mod until you have the full set up that you need. it is a MUST to upgrade lifters, push rods and valve springs with a cam swap on these cars if you plan on doin a decent to large cam. it is absolutley not worth it. you will be alot better off doing it all at once.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Im sorry but that is a MASSIVE piece of miss imformation.

97 and up vette and 98 and up f body always and forever were ls1 no matter what. no where ever were there LT1s in any 98+model year.

you sir may be off your rocker if you belive this to be true.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Launching!

heard ls7 lifters have issues, don't know who true that is. if i did that will i need new trays? and what else would i need, will stock push rods still work.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
vette owners=
Lmfao, jealous much?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VincesSS
Go for it.. if you can swing it put a set of 918s or springs that will accomodate the size of camshaft you think you will go with later down the road to make your swap nice and easy when u toss that cam in! Also, depending on mileage it is a great time to swap to some more worthy lifters!!!
i second that. swap the springs with the heads off and make your cam swap much easier later.

as far as the lifters....ive heard the LS7 lifters are as good as any. not too expensive from gmpartsdirect.com

but then again, if you dont have the coin to do the cam right now, you probably dont have it do do the springs and lifters....

good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

If you look at it now the new Camaro is a completely different car. While it has a lot of potential, it will not endanger the performance pintacle of the Corvette.

WOW. absolutely everything you said was incorrect.

as mentioned before, in 1998 the camaro z28 got the ls1, as well as the SS. and the SS did not come out later in the year. the 4th gen SS model began in 1996 (while the LT1 was in the car). the only difference in the SS was ram air, hood, rear deck lid, wheels, and a few other options like catback exhaust, suspension, shifter etc...

and they did not stop making the camaro because it was stealing the vette's thunder. the new camaro SS boasts the same motor as the current base vette. so why would they do that if they wanted such a HP gap between the Y and F bodies?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS#1230
WOW. absolutely everything you said was incorrect.

as mentioned before, in 1998 the camaro z28 got the ls1, as well as the SS. and the SS did not come out later in the year. the 4th gen SS model began in 1996 (while the LT1 was in the car). the only difference in the SS was ram air, hood, rear deck lid, wheels, and a few other options like catback exhaust, suspension, shifter etc...

and they did not stop making the camaro because it was stealing the vette's thunder. the new camaro SS boasts the same motor as the current base vette. so why would they do that if they wanted such a HP gap between the Y and F bodies?
He's been posting out of his *** since he joined, he knows nothing, just ignore him.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heard ls7 lifters have issues, don't know who true that is. if i did that will i need new trays? and what else would i need, will stock push rods still work.
the LS7 lifters are standard replacement for all LS1/LS2 engines now. They retain factory lifter trays and the same push rods.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL where did you get this info from? 98-02 z28s, Trans-ams, and SS camaros ALL came with the exact same LS1 that the C5 corvette had.

Please dont fall into the catagory of those corvette owners who think that only a vette comes with a Vette engine. I have a vette myself but I know for sure that a solid axle camaro will drop more hp on a dyno than a IRS vette. The only reason a vette can perform better stock vs stock is the weight and handling.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

i read that the ls7 lifters are alittle taller and i thought i read the valves on the heads are a touch longer. so that makes me think i would need a differnet length pushrod.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

this is from gmpartsdirect.com they are only $109 and are PN 12499225

"DESCRIPTION: LIFTER

LS Series camshaft lifter kit

An inclusive set of 16 lifters for the LS Series engines.

Newly redesigned for high RPM LS7 engine usage."
Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

i need to change my head gaskets and since i'm taking off the heads i figured 243's flow a bit better and i can get a good deal on 243 heads. but i won't do a cam swap this year since i don't have the money, i know it's not going to be a large increase, but will there be any performance gains from an easy swap.
Good call on the 243s...

Keep in mind the 243 has a smaller chamber and bumps compression from 10.1 to 10.5:1

Quick Reply: 243 heads with stock ls1 cam