Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 heads with stock ls1 cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just pick up a set and do the LS7 lifters while your at it, the rest can be upgraded with the heads on the car when you decide to do the cam swap later.

on another note 02*C5 is retarded..
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
the LS7 lifters are standard replacement for all LS1/LS2 engines now. They retain factory lifter trays and the same push rods.
Ah let me see since I am posting all I have said out of my *** the lifter cup in the LS7 lifter is actually taller that the LS1 so your push rods are going to be shorter. The actual advise you need to give is the following...

Use a collapsible push rod to get the right measurement you can get them from Texas Speed, measure and then buy the correct length push rod. If you get the 7.4 push rods, they are going to be too long, and you will not be able to get the correct preload or valve lash, warm or cold and you will experience very high valve train noise. Therefore having to remove your push rods, measure and get the right sized ones and redo your whole preload and lash over again.

That's the advise you should be giving him.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Ah let me see since I am posting all I have said out of my *** the lifter cup in the LS7 lifter is actually taller that the LS1 so your push rods are going to be shorter. The actual advise you need to give is the following...

Use a collapsible push rod to get the right measurement you can get them from Texas Speed, measure and then buy the correct length push rod. If you get the 7.4 push rods, they are going to be too long, and you will not be able to get the correct preload or valve lash, warm or cold and you will experience very high valve train noise. Therefore having to remove your push rods, measure and get the right sized ones and redo your whole preload and lash over again.

No offense but do you really expect the OP to take your advice after you posted this?

The Z28 and the SS have two different engines that is why the difference in HP. Many people where pist off they bought the 99 Z28 and then towards the end of the year they cam out with the SS. The Z28 brought the LT1 drive train and the SS brought the LS1.

The LS1 revamped the heads, intake and the HP output and the drive train over all. They are two different cars and and the HP out put is about right. As a matter fact the reason that Chevy stopped making the Camaro was because the engineering was so good on the F-body that it was out performing the Corvette the Chevrolet flagship in many aspects.

If you look at it now the new Camaro is a completely different car. While it has a lot of potential, it will not endanger the performance pintacle of the Corvette.
Wow just Wow. By the way GM dropped the FBody because the Mustang was out selling it 2 to 1 thanks to the price difference.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

If you can't afford the lifters, you can't afford the heads. Replace your head gaskets and start modding when you can afford to do so. Bad, bad, bad idea to mod when $100~ on such a critical engine component is skipped due to lack of funds.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BaddBird
No offense but do you really expect the OP to take your advice after you posted this?
Is it the wrong advise you can answer any time you wish!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

I know the LT-1 in my 02 CamEro SS-28 looks alot like a LS1. maybe I should have 02*C5 look at it and tell me what it really is...LMAO
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know you all are right I talked out of turn did not do my research and yeah I deserve all the razing from everyone that feels they need to chime in but if you internet bitches think what you say has any bearing in my life what I do and what I have accomplished please think again...

Needless to say my accomplishments have nothing to do with cars and if you all think that the end all I beg to differ.

Happy New Years to all.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You know you all are right I talked out of turn did not do my research and yeah I deserve all the razing from everyone that feels they need to chime in but if you internet bitches think what you say has any bearing in my life what I do and what I have accomplished please think again...
Hey Slick no need to get all bent out of shape but some of your posts have been off to say the least. If your going to be a postwhore at least get your facts straight. Some of the newbies might even think you know what your talking about.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Hey Slick no need to get all bent out of shape but some of your posts have been off to say the least. If your going to be a postwhore at least get your facts straight. Some of the newbies might even think you know what your talking about.
You still to answer if what i said about the ls7 lifter and push rods is right or wrong. I am not bent out of shape is just me owning up and saying I was wrong. But when ever you decide to answer what I posted about the lifter pushrods and such and let me know if I am right or wrong.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=02*C5;12690214]You still to answer if what i said about the ls7 lifter and push rods is right or wrong. I am not bent out of shape is just me owning up and saying I was wrong. But when ever you decide to answer what I posted about the lifter pushrods and such and let me know if I am right or wrong

For the most part this is correct^^^

This is the method I use.
Make sure you're on the base circle of the cam. Torque the rocker to 22ftlb with the pushrod checker in the hole but not touching the rocker. Then extend the pushrod until your at zero lash. Remove the rocker, remove the pushrod and measure it with a dial caliper. Then add the amount of preload you want to run, to the measurement and order your Pushrods.You will need to do both the intake & exhaust.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
Im sorry but that is a MASSIVE piece of miss imformation.

97 and up vette and 98 and up f body always and forever were ls1 no matter what. no where ever were there LT1s in any 98+model year.

you sir may be off your rocker if you belive this to be true.

well thats 99.9% true.

GM had a handful, of Corvettes in 1997 that still Sported the LT1. One sold on Barret Jackson the other day actually. BUT these were never sold to the public to my knowledge and the one or two made like this spent there time with GM...

It actually threw me for a loop when I saw and heard this on BJ auctions, and then saw it sell for like 30k?? I would have thought it would be worth more but alas, an LT1 is still an LT1 regardless of what year its in.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baalic
well thats 99.9% true.

GM had a handful, of Corvettes in 1997 that still Sported the LT1. One sold on Barret Jackson the other day actually. BUT these were never sold to the public to my knowledge and the one or two made like this spent there time with GM...

It actually threw me for a loop when I saw and heard this on BJ auctions, and then saw it sell for like 30k?? I would have thought it would be worth more but alas, an LT1 is still an LT1 regardless of what year its in.

thats weird. ive never heard of that. was it a C5 body?

why the hell would they want the LT1 over the LS1? were they skeptical of the new motor, and confident in the power of the LT1?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

You still to answer if what i said about the ls7 lifter and push rods is right or wrong. I am not bent out of shape is just me owning up and saying I was wrong. But when ever you decide to answer what I posted about the lifter pushrods and such and let me know if I am right or wrong.

Thanks
i didnt mean to bash you about the motor thing, but you were just so far off on such a commonly known subject. and you said it with such authority. and i dont think anyone wants to have a "bearing in your life".

and i didnt comment about the lifters being taller, because ive never measured them myself and i dont like to simply regurgitate stuff i read on the internet.

BTW, do you have a vehicle with an LS1? just wondering cause you dont have any info in your sig.

so to the OP, the bottom line on the LS7 lifters is......do like baddbird said and measure it your self with a pushrod length checker before you order the PRs so you know what length you need.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Unless somehow your current lifters are bad or a head gasket is blown hold off off on changing the heads until you can afford the rest of the valvetrain parts (cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, etc) in full and do the swap all at once. No sense in tearing into the top half of the motor now and tearing into it again shortly to finish what you wanted to do in the first place.

However if you decide against a cam swap, swapping the 243 heads would still be a nice little gain with the stock cam. Shoot for a set out of a Vette because of the sodium filled valves, but if not you'll still get the same yellow valve springs if you find a set out of, say, a Trailblazer SS.

Jason
Old 01-01-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
Unless somehow your current lifters are bad or a head gasket is blown hold off off on changing the heads until you can afford the rest of the valvetrain parts (cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, etc) in full and do the swap all at once. No sense in tearing into the top half of the motor now and tearing into it again shortly to finish what you wanted to do in the first place.

However if you decide against a cam swap, swapping the 243 heads would still be a nice little gain with the stock cam. Shoot for a set out of a Vette because of the sodium filled valves, but if not you'll still get the same yellow valve springs if you find a set out of, say, a Trailblazer SS.

Jason
my CTS-V has the sodium filled valves. were you just talking about getting aftermarket (or from someone who has reworked them like texas speed) heads that dont have the sodium filled valves?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS#1230
my CTS-V has the sodium filled valves. were you just talking about getting aftermarket (or from someone who has reworked them like texas speed) heads that dont have the sodium filled valves?
I was just referring to whatever used set you could find. I was assuming you were trying to save $ and find used, stock heads instead of buying a ported set from a vendor. The 243 style heads came on Vettes, your Caddy, Trailblazer SS's, and 6.0 GTO's. Only the Vette and CTS-V's had the sodium valves. Everything else is the same.

Jason
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

so it's the LS2 that doesn't have the hollow valves huh?

i wonder why. are they just solid steel?

i guess that explains the difference in the price. the ls2 exhaust valve msrp is $20.83, and the LS6 exh valve is 50.67.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lifter cup is .050 higher in the LS7 lifter. Yes, that's true. LS1 lifters from the factory came with .100 preload. Without changing pushrod length you are at .050 preload. Well within the "safe" zone. Of course with smaller base circle cams, milled heads, and thinner gaskets you better be checking length even WITH your stock LS1 lifters. That's just common sense, I didn't know I needed to explain that. But then again, this IS LS1Tech.. I should realize who I am talking to here instead of taking common sense for granted..

You can't even buy LS1 lifters anymore, it's the LS7's or aftermarket. By the way, running the preload at the extremes, full depth or full height, is going to make more power than "safely in the middle." My preference is to run as little as possible with a 3/8ths pushrod.

Sooo...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Nice ..using E-85 ethernal?? I think about E-85 for my Camaro.
Not really I got there with an E-85 conversion and I have just about everything you can put on on.

Before the E-85 I was at 412/356 respectively That was with a very aggressive cam with a 614 lift, 90/90 ported, 243 heads done by Advanced Induction, LS6 valves, 921 springs, vararam vr-b2, 36# injectors, American Racing headers 1 7/8 to 3" collector, 3X2.5 Xpipe, 3400 stall, rpm stage IV 4l60e, Z06 rear diff with hardened out put shaft and a hell of a tune. The E-85 allowed me to run a full 28* of timing and added about another 40 rwhp with the set up. I had to step up to 72# injectors and an A1000 fuel pump. So there is a lot that goes into pulling 450 rwhp through an A4. I am right now at 450/420.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SLz1a2BwSE
Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
The lifter cup is .050 higher in the LS7 lifter. Yes, that's true. LS1 lifters from the factory came with .100 preload. Without changing pushrod length you are at .050 preload. Well within the "safe" zone. Of course with smaller base circle cams, milled heads, and thinner gaskets you better be checking length even WITH your stock LS1 lifters. That's just common sense, I didn't know I needed to explain that. But then again, this IS LS1Tech.. I should realize who I am talking to here instead of taking common sense for granted..

You can't even buy LS1 lifters anymore, it's the LS7's or aftermarket. By the way, running the preload at the extremes, full depth or full height, is going to make more power than "safely in the middle." My preference is to run as little as possible with a 3/8ths pushrod.

Sooo...
Please explain how running the preload lifter at full depth or full height will make more power.

sorry to steer this thread so far off.

Quick Reply: 243 heads with stock ls1 cam