Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Camaro Vs. Ls1 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Camaro Vs. Ls1 Corvette

Alright so ive got a short paper to write for school and i would like to write it on the differences and similarities between the camaro version and the corvette version of the ls1. Mainly the focus on the differences in power. Any and all input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by av2915
Alright so ive got a short paper to write for school and i would like to write it on the differences and similarities between the camaro version and the corvette version of the ls1. Mainly the focus on the differences in power. Any and all input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
the difference in power was maybe 5hp at most between the vette and camaro ss and it would be due to a better exhaust system on the corvette. The reason why the camaro was rated at 320 and the corvette at 345 was because of marketing reasons and GM not wanting the much cheaper camaro to look like it was in the same class as its flagship car. so it reality the ss/ws6 are about 25-30hp underrated.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mainly weight of the vehicle, gearing (M6), and differential. Unless you are talking about the Z06, my understanding is the the bulk of the power plant was virtually identical.

May be some EGR, pup-cats, manifold differences..but fairly negligible differences. You may want to check the 'stickies'..I believe their is a fairly comprehensive detail of differing years and engines.

Your paper will be more impressive if you can quote from a legitimate referenced source. And, that is not me..but perhaps you will get a good engineering source to respond.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its going to be hard to write a paper on the differences between the 2 since there are not many. Like everyone stated above there are only a few differences. Are you talkn about jus the reg corvette or the zo6 bc that changes things
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Z06 development would really give you a much wider range of issues to talk about. Not to sound like a GM marketing guy (I'm not) it really was a phenomenal leap in engine power, torque, emissions, and phenomenal gas mileage improvement over its predecessors.

Add to it that they were 300-400 lbs lighter and a had a unique gear box..those cars just really fly for a 'production' car.

Agree, the engine difference between the 'regular' corvette vs the Camaro LS-1's were mainly minor and more of a marketing 'ploy'.

The Z06 development would make a good story.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
Mainly weight of the vehicle, gearing (M6), and differential. Unless you are talking about the Z06, my understanding is the the bulk of the power plant was virtually identical.

May be some EGR, pup-cats, manifold differences..but fairly negligible differences. You may want to check the 'stickies'..I believe their is a fairly comprehensive detail of differing years and engines.

Your paper will be more impressive if you can quote from a legitimate referenced source. And, that is not me..but perhaps you will get a good engineering source to respond.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..

There are books out there (ex. building small block Chevy engines) that go into GREAT detail about every piece of the engine. The key will be stepping away from forums/magazines (or the internet in general) to find professionally done/un-biased research.

If you want to do this as a topic...I would focus specifically on the technology between the LT-1, LS-1, and LS-6 to give the reader a sense of the changes in technology and performance over the years. Call it "GM small block engine improvements over the years" or something like that.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks for everyones input. To clear things up i was talking about the base corvette not the z06. Ive heard that its mainly a more restrictive intake and exhaust and maybe timing thing. The reason i wasnt worried about there not being many differences is because its a simple like 2 page paper although i writing about the advances in the GM engines does sound better thanks again to everyone

Last edited by av2915; 01-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are correct for a given year although there were differences between years as the motor was updated by GM. My Corvette manual has both the f-body and y-body procedure for all engine work. The intake and exhaust are the primary differences and the belt/accessory installations are different as well. Main guts were the same. There was a recent thread (within the last six months or so) on this that you might find with the search funtion.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Same motor...very small differances...Not sure if you can get enough info to write a paper. Like previously stated most of the differance are weight, intake and exhaust besides the obvious visual.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For purposes of comparing the two cars, you may as well call it the same engine. The biggest points of discussion for me would be weight, weight distribution and suspension. One look underneath the vette and you can see how much trouble they went through to balance the weight of the car, while the f-body has a very traditional drivetrain layout.

I vaguely remember an article in Motor Trend or one of the other car magazines on a road race track comparison. The comment was something like: The camaro ran very close behind the vette, but you felt beat up after the ride in the camaro.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Camaro Vs. Ls1 Corvette