Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled lifter tray?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010 | 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TJ
the oil that accumulates in the tray. the hole allows the oil mass to drain off the head of the lifter.
there was a thread about it a few years ago.
it may be snake oil.
And to add to the theory it keeps the hot oil from heating up the valve train.
Old 01-09-2010 | 10:26 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

Here's a pic for ya. 3/8" hole.

Old 01-09-2010 | 11:01 PM
LSX Mechanic

It's one of those "feel good" mods. You did it because it didn't cost anything, you read on the internet it helps, you felt good because you did it, and you think your car is benefiting from it even though you really have no clue or way of telling so.

Kinda like that same feeling you get after you change your oil, and for some reason your car just seems to feel like it runs a little bit better than it did with the other oil.
Old 01-09-2010 | 11:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Damian
It's one of those "feel good" mods. You did it because it didn't cost anything, you read on the internet it helps, you felt good because you did it, and you think your car is benefiting from it even though you really have no clue or way of telling so.

Kinda like that same feeling you get after you change your oil, and for some reason your car just seems to feel like it runs a little bit better than it did with the other oil.
while the 1st portion of your post has me thinking future budweiser commerical... lmao.
Old 01-09-2010 | 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

it's to minimize airation in the oil! lifters are moving up/down so quick that they capture air and create air bubbles in the oil. so as the oil flows down to the oil pan the oil has air pockets in it. "airation" some of that airation oil can be pumped thru the engine which in long term can/will hurt engine friction...... so. I did that drill mod for piece of mind.. will it hurt it? airation hurts/damage engines, but street driven engine with minimal strip action? it all depends on how/if you feel about this mod. I did and after 3 plus years it has not hurt anything. air in my oil doesn't sound good either... your call realy.
Old 01-10-2010 | 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
it's to minimize airation in the oil! lifters are moving up/down so quick that they capture air and create air bubbles in the oil. so as the oil flows down to the oil pan the oil has air pockets in it. "airation" some of that airation oil can be pumped thru the engine which in long term can/will hurt engine friction...... so. I did that drill mod for piece of mind.. will it hurt it? airation hurts/damage engines, but street driven engine with minimal strip action? it all depends on how/if you feel about this mod. I did and after 3 plus years it has not hurt anything. air in my oil doesn't sound good either... your call realy.
ok guys this the best excuse I have read so far.
Old 01-10-2010 | 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would do it since it can't hurt anything and it can help oil to drain out.
Old 01-10-2010 | 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

This mod always brings two thoughts to the table, just for fun I will add my 2 cents.
In 99 and 2000 Motorola cup would not allow a dry sump oiling system, all parts needed to be stock. Early engines were getting beat up in one race/practice cycle, about 5 hours run time. I sent two engines with Powell motorsports to a race in Florida that ran in two different cars, both ran the 3 hour race and around the same amount of practice. They both had restricted pushrods and stock oilpans, one had the lifter guides drilled, it was driven by the Goad/Powell driving team that was typically harder on engines. The bearings in the engine looked better and this mod was done on all the following engines and we started rebuilding them after 3 races instead of every race with great results. I personally have this mod on my daily driven Silverado with 103,000 currently on a single turbo 6.0 and all in the valvetrain has been great, although the pistons are sounding like a diesel!

Kurt
Old 01-10-2010 | 10:48 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

good stuff, kurt!

Quick Reply: Drilled lifter tray?