Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magicstick 4 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magicstick 4 cam

Tell me what you think about the magicstick 4 camshaft by Texas Speed and performance i am thinking about putting it in my 01 SS m6.What heads work well with it,how hard is it to tune,Or anything else i need to know.What is your setup and hp.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

try a search tons of info on it on here
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks ill try that.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

I maybe wrong but i think TSP held or still holds the record for the fastest head/cam only car in the country and i think at one time it was with the PRC 227 heads and the MS4 cam. Now i think they're running the same PRC 227 heads but now with a soon to be MS5 type cam, altough i could be very wrong.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

search will do you best on this topic for sure....i wrestled with this decision for months before getting it installed into my car. search after search, pm after pm with people that have the cam, ran the cam or anything. after having the cam for over 6 months, i can honestly say i really like it!!! i installed it on a full bolt on car, m6 tranny with 4:10 gears. used stock 243 heads as well. which is holding me back quite abit. but still with a good tune in it, i turned 400rwhp in dead summer time heat (and the fact that the dyno used has been considered conservative to about 15rwhp....so lets say i could be at 415rwhp, sounds better)!!! i love the sound of the car at idle, which is what i was going for anyway....but i will say it is definately a top end cam all the way. i didnt understand that at first till i finally got to do some racing with a buddy of mine that has something similar to the 224 cam that everyone loves for DD cars. from a 20 roll he got me, and even though i was running him down, wasnt happening fast enough. but from a 40-50 roll, i jumped him and kept him at bay at almost 2 car lengths....

my car is a street car, drive it about 2 times a week or on the weekends, whichever.....it has some quirks in it, its a big cam to lug around, 1500 rpm's is definitely not its favorite cruising rpm, lol....but other than that, once i figured it out, i love just driving it and hearing it rumble.....and for later down the road when i go back and do some head work....it will really help it out alot, gotta plan ahead you know....
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969mach1
I maybe wrong but i think TSP held or still holds the record for the fastest head/cam only car in the country and i think at one time it was with the PRC 227 heads and the MS4 cam. Now i think they're running the same PRC 227 heads but now with a soon to be MS5 type cam, altough i could be very wrong.
To the OP, Do a Search.

Try MS4 in the string, look in Drag Racing Results, Dyno Section, and Gen III Internal for answers.

As for the comment on Fastest Cars with XXX Cam comment, I will say this. There are cams out there that have gone fast BUT this was only due to the car's set up. 95% of Fbodies out there do not meet the same requirements like......

Raceweight
Tire
Suspension
Gearing
Transmission

Just to name a few, most of the record holders are LIGHT weight, HIGH Gear, Drag set ups.

True Street cars should take into consideration with the Top End cams is that the Mid range sucks and drives like it has no ***** until 3800-4000 rpms.

Depending on actual useage, a good all around cam should have at bear min 224/228 Dur, if NOT 230/236 and LSA in the 112/114 range and a decent lift, 550-590 is fine too.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good cam depending on what your goals are. If you are looking for a max effort cam then it does that job extremely well. However, if you are looking for a perfect driving street car with nice power under the curve then I would probably recommend something else. What are you looking for out of your project? What mods do you currently have and what are you plans down the road? Feel free to shoot me a PM or give us a call and we'll be happy to run over you project and get you setup with the best cam for you application!

Jon
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

I have the tsunami cam (TSP) in my Z06 and love it. Its in between the MS3 and MS4. Very simalar, but I find it street friendly Now if I can get someone to give me a set of heads, lol. I am still running the stock 243's and the stock LS6 intake. It runs strong, but it needs those upgrades to be a beast.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Launching!

a custom grind cam is always gunna be the best!! hands down. the price is the same. off the shelf is one size fits all.
engines arent vagina's. u shouldn't just stick anything u think is big in there.
most of any chicks will tell u, it's not the size its how its worked !!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

I had a ms4 in my camaro and i loved it! It was my DD and i made 420/390 on 241 heads and ls1 intake. Its ALL in the tune on how it drives and i didnt have any bucking or surging problems at all, it sounds great and pulls like crazy up high.

Quick Reply: magicstick 4 cam