Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam bearing help?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cam bearing help?!?!

Ok so i pulled my cam out because I was planning on putting in a bigger one. When i pulled it out i noticed that the very front of the cam was slightly scared and the very front bearing was slightly scared as well.

The rest of the cam looks perfect and all the other cam bearings are good. I dont know if somehow i messed it up when i installed the cam.

But my question is, is there any way that i can repair the front cam bearing without pulling the engine out of the car. I only need to replace the very front bearing and really dont feel like pulling the engine for that.

Does anyone know of a way this can be done??? Ive never used a cam bearing puller but i know there long so that you can get to all the bearings which would obviously not work in the small front space of the engine compartment. IDEAS????????
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well first, understand the front bearing takes a lot of load bc of the timing chain pulling down on the front of the cam. I dont see why you couldnt knock the front bearing out (think hammer and chisel) and gently tap a new one in. The old one should fall into the oil pan.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i currently have the same issue, my cam has no marks on the front journal but my front bearing has a few scuffs, currently 150k mi. and im doin a heads/cam swap. is putting a new bearing in a must or can i get by with the one i have?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

yikes, the words "should" and oilpan scare me. id like to get it out without having to knock it into the engine. The thought of the old bearing clunkin around in the oilpan for the rest of its life doesnt sound healthy.....theres no way to pull it out??
I could probably get away with leaving it alone. But it definatly is wearing the front cam journal more than it should be. So therefor I want it out!!!!!

As for baddbird99, if your cam doesnt have any marks on the front journal then your cam bearing is obviosly doing its job of keeping it smooth and lubed. 150k miles is quite a bit of miles and almost any engine is going to start showing wear by then. Thats probably just natural engine wear on the bearing, its just starting to get worn out. But like I said if the cam has no marks then the bearings should be good enough to use.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

anyone one else have ideas or suggestions? Or is hammer and chisel the verdict.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

well you wouldnt leave it in the oil pan. You could fish it out from the front with a pen magnet.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe try a blind hole puller to pull it out?

Another idea would be to slide a wooden dowl in there as if it were the cam and knock it out and have the dowl catch it. Then you would have to find a way to get it out from there.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

This is true.... pretty much sounds like anything I try is going to be a major pain though! Im just glad that atleast the ls1's in the camaro have plenty of room in the engine bay to work on them............. ha
Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

A blind hole puller? Dont think I know what that is.... As for the wooden dowl, that might be something to look into. putting something in there that will grab the bearing.... but yes then how to get it out....

Quick Reply: cam bearing help?!?!