Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 heads.... GURUS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wytry
Wtf was Blue Bird talking about? Lol. I'm not biased, just speak the truth. And I said do heads AND cam if possible in post #5
i totally agree with doing both at the same time. im not sayin you are biased wytry im just tryin to make the point that alot of people are bias to the opinoin that the car is loud so it must be fast. also my point of doing the heads first was because the original poster was talking about buyin new springs and valves and all that crap so why not just buy a new set of heads with springs and everything on them for 1k? and he said he has stock 5.7 heads which are probably 853s and are not good to begin with. and as far as the heads making more hp than a cam swap an ls6 has 243 castings and makes 400whp. yes the cam is diff than the ls1 but would the car still not make atleast 370+ with a good set of ported heads. than once the cam would go in its a 400+whp car yes or no?? idk everyone has valid points i would just rather do heads first before a cam so that i could have a cam specd for my setup or be able to pick a cam thats a lil better matched with the heads. just my opinoin that it would be easier to do heads install first.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^
...and as far as the heads making more hp than a cam swap an ls6 has 243 castings and makes 400whp. yes the cam is diff than the ls1 but would the car still not make atleast 370+ with a good set of ported heads. than once the cam would go in its a 400+whp car yes or no??..

Serisouly????? without a cam to feed those "BIGGER" heads you can expect no more than 10-15 horsepower. I would be shocked if you can show me proof of otherwise. So, i guess ya, it would be around 360-370 depending on tranny and gear NOWHERE NEAR my cam only 410 rwhp. (with 4.10 gear mind you
)

Im not trying to get into a pissing match here but this is how bad information gets passed around. Coming from someone who knew nothing about cars 2 years ago, people listen to what is said on these forums, like i did, looking for advice. Dont fill there mind with non-sense.

And on another note, how do you like that Textralia 6 puck? i havent got mine in yet. Is it not a bit over kill for your set-up? How is it around town?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You can't just move LS1 valves over to a 5.3l casting. The 5.3l casting needs to be fully ported & a valve job done for larger valves to get them where they're a good option for the LS1.

Give us a call, we'd be happy to help discuss the differences & options..

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=20
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

And on another note, how do you like that Textralia 6 puck? i havent got mine in yet. Is it not a bit over kill for your the clutch is great. im glad i made the decision on this one. it drives and feels like the stock clutch. i have only takin it to the track once since it has been in but i dumped the clutch at 3800 and there was no slip at all. and it bites pretty hard. its a great clutch.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not 100% sure on this, so I'm not stating it, I'm ASKING it: isn't the "405" HP LS6 measured at the crank or flywheel? Not at the wheels? Right? I really can't see STOCK 243's and an LS6 cam putting down 400 rwhp. Anyways, OP, if you got the cash and aren't going to break yourself doing it, get P&P 243's or 5.3's along with your cam and all the other goodies you will need. You won't regret it, and remember to save cash FOR THE TUNE afterwards! Good luck
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stangbeaterz28
^^^^
...and as far as the heads making more hp than a cam swap an ls6 has 243 castings and makes 400whp. yes the cam is diff than the ls1 but would the car still not make atleast 370+ with a good set of ported heads. than once the cam would go in its a 400+whp car yes or no??..

Serisouly????? without a cam to feed those "BIGGER" heads you can expect no more than 10-15 horsepower. I would be shocked if you can show me proof of otherwise. So, i guess ya, it would be around 360-370 depending on tranny and gear NOWHERE NEAR my cam only 410 rwhp. (with 4.10 gear mind you
)

Im not trying to get into a pissing match here but this is how bad information gets passed around. Coming from someone who knew nothing about cars 2 years ago, people listen to what is said on these forums, like i did, looking for advice. Dont fill there mind with non-sense.

And on another note, how do you like that Textralia 6 puck? i havent got mine in yet. Is it not a bit over kill for your set-up? How is it around town?
all i want is around 400rwhp for now, im only 19 and still in college so i dont want some nasty non driveable daily car . you put 410 to the wheels with just a cam? what was your setup?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

His setup is in his signature
Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

ya its in the sig, and thats with 4.10 gear. I have bone stock heads and MS3 cam with all supporting mods. Stock pulley's too.

Im only 19 too man. I go to a SEMO in missouri, having a 400 hp car a college sounds like fun and is defintly a ***** magnet but you'll get tired of it quick, it just draws WAYYY to much attention especially if you go with a LOUD *** exhaust. If you plan on taking it to school i would get a good set of mufflers lol
Old 01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

i have no drivability issues, if you want 400+ and a decent driver id look at the MS3. Its all in the tune man, find a GOOD tuner that knows LS1's like the back of their hand.