Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer/ oil pump clearance??? Engine builders pipe in

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Balancer/ oil pump clearance??? Engine builders pipe in

Hello fellas, I have a question that I just cant seem to figure out. I recently bought the GM service manuals for my car and still cant find the info I need. When Installing the oil pump, I have heard that you have to set it up with
.002 clearance on the sides using a feeler gauge?? where are you supposed to measure this distance at. Is it true??

Second question. When installing the oil pump and using shims for a double roller chain, You would be pushing the oil pumphousing and rotor further forward on the snout of the crank. When this happens dont you have a risk of the balancer hitting the rotor of the oil pump and putting pressure against it, which would cause a major problem in the pump. Does the end of the balancer have to be machined off the same amount of the shims? When I first started looking at the oil pump setup I thought that The pump gear set against the timing sprocket and the balancer set against the gear and the balancer bolt just tightened it all together very tight. But I am not sure about that. I dont see any shoulder on my balancer to stop it from going all the way on. I have heard that there is supposed to be some kind of clearance between the end of the balancer and the oil pump gear. ANY CLARIFICATION WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

the balancer needs to be clearanced,also the inside of the front cover needs some clearancing or it will hit the chain and gear.maybe someone can post a picture for you.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am purchasing one of the melling high volumes from one of the sponsors that has been clearanced for a double roller, Not so much worried about making it fit behind the cover, I am no stranger to a die grinder,
Just unsure if there is supposed to be any recommended clearance between the snout of the balancer and the oil pump. Also if you had to obtain a clearance inside the oil pump itself. I bought the service manuals hoping to clear this up but no luck on it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
Hello fellas, I have a question that I just cant seem to figure out. I recently bought the GM service manuals for my car and still cant find the info I need. When Installing the oil pump, I have heard that you have to set it up with
.002 clearance on the sides using a feeler gauge?? where are you supposed to measure this distance at. Is it true??

Second question. When installing the oil pump and using shims for a double roller chain, You would be pushing the oil pumphousing and rotor further forward on the snout of the crank. When this happens dont you have a risk of the balancer hitting the rotor of the oil pump and putting pressure against it, which would cause a major problem in the pump. Does the end of the balancer have to be machined off the same amount of the shims? When I first started looking at the oil pump setup I thought that The pump gear set against the timing sprocket and the balancer set against the gear and the balancer bolt just tightened it all together very tight. But I am not sure about that. I dont see any shoulder on my balancer to stop it from going all the way on. I have heard that there is supposed to be some kind of clearance between the end of the balancer and the oil pump gear. ANY CLARIFICATION WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.
You put the feeler gauges on each side of the gerotor to clearance it from the housing before tightening the pump to the block

The cover doesn't hit the chain or gears, only the oil pump casting and/or the bolts holding the pump to the block. The areas in black are where I had to clearance mine. Mellings 10296 HV pump and a JP double roller gear set on a LS2.

Here is the area to look out for. The oil pump gerotor sticks out a little further than the drive gear with a spaced out Mellings HV pump. You have to check your balancer snout, probably will depend on the balancer used.

Last edited by helicoil; 01-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks bro, I appreciate the info, Helps a ton. Now I know what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: Balancer/ oil pump clearance??? Engine builders pipe in