Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven cooling using LS6 coolant line plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Uneven cooling using LS6 coolant line plugs?

Car in question ... '98 TA with 70K miles

I yanked the heads on my car to have them freshened.

When I inspected the cylinder bores, I noted some discoloration in #7 and #8 cylinder bores.

Close to the top of the bore, there is a slight blue hue and there is some rust colored spots inside the bore.

It appears to be cooling issues. These are the the only 2 bores affected.

Could this be related to my swapping for an LS6 intake, and plugging the coolant passages on the backside heads? I'll try and get some pics, but it will be hard with the block in the car.

I've never over-heated the car and change the coolant regularly. I roadrace the car and the last 2 years I have changed the coolant every winter.

Is this an area for concern? Is catastrophic failure imenent? Any potential solutions?

I'm going back with an LGM Super Cool radiator which is about double the capacity as the stock radiator and has a built in oil cooler.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think that the coolant plugs are causing the problem. You can grind away some of the ribs on the bottom of the LS6, and use you stock '98 coolant line. Not sure if it would help or not, but atleast it would relieve the worrying about the plugs. I know, i'm currently using the plugs and I did not seen any weird stuff last time I had the heads off the car.

Quick Reply: Uneven cooling using LS6 coolant line plugs?