Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can worries

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can worries

ok. car has been sitting outside for couple days (not a daily driver) so I decided to move it into the garage and wipe clean engine bay and found milky or coffe with cream looking **** in the catch can (home depot style). I immediately check dipstick and radiator. all is fine there. Just wondering if this is normal or maybee head gasket,havent checked plugs yet but wanted anyone who may know more or had this happen to them to post up. oil is changed regularly m-1 synth.mods are stock 243s with comp 224/230 114. bolt ons. thx for any input
Attached Thumbnails Catch can worries-z28-001.jpg   Catch can worries-z28-002.jpg   Catch can worries-z28-003.jpg   Catch can worries-z28-004.jpg   Catch can worries-z28-005.jpg  

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty common in a catch can. There is no heat to boil the water out of the oil and your catch can will (hopefully) separate fluids out of your PCV air supply, this includes water vapor.

Shane
Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info. Ive had the cc on for a few months and never had the can residue look like this, possibly the cooler weather latley just drove again a few min ago and all good. Ill clean the lines out tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine looked like that too. like starbucks that smells like oil.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant tell from the pic... is there any on the dip stick? The peanut butter in the engine is water in the oil. (conversely Peanut butter in the radiator is oil in the water).

If you have a little tiny bit..., it might be condensation...
If you have a lot of either, they both come down to probably a crack in the head somewhere or bad head gasket. Maybe condensation, but it would have to be a shitload of condensation. Also, the peanut butter doesnt come from having moisture in a container (cc) where theres oil sitting. It comes from lots of heat, moisture, pressure, agitation and contaminants in the oil alltogether. Meaning it originated inside the engine.
-Take the car for a drive and get it hot. Then look under the oil fller cap. Do you see a lot of condensation?
-Take your filler neck off the valve cover and run your finder around inside... do you pull out more peanut butter looking stuff?
-Have you ever overheated the car? Or got it really hot without having bled the air out of the cooling system?
-Run a swab through the catch can lines. Is it in there too?

I have had this happen on some other vehcles in both cases, once it was a crack in the head, in a water jacket (Audi). The other it was bad seals in a water-to-oil oil cooler (Toyota). Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

I drain my catch can every single time I do an oil change. I have never had any "coffe and milk" in my catch can.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
I cant tell from the pic... is there any on the dip stick? The peanut butter in the engine is water in the oil. (conversely Peanut butter in the radiator is oil in the water).

If you have a little tiny bit..., it might be condensation...
If you have a lot of either, they both come down to probably a crack in the head somewhere or bad head gasket. Maybe condensation, but it would have to be a shitload of condensation. Also, the peanut butter doesnt come from having moisture in a container (cc) where theres oil sitting. It comes from lots of heat, moisture, pressure, agitation and contaminants in the oil alltogether. Meaning it originated inside the engine.
-Take the car for a drive and get it hot. Then look under the oil fller cap. Do you see a lot of condensation?
-Take your filler neck off the valve cover and run your finder around inside... do you pull out more peanut butter looking stuff?
-Have you ever overheated the car? Or got it really hot without having bled the air out of the cooling system?
-Run a swab through the catch can lines. Is it in there too?

I have had this happen on some other vehcles in both cases, once it was a crack in the head, in a water jacket (Audi). The other it was bad seals in a water-to-oil oil cooler (Toyota). Good luck. Keep us posted.
No to all off your ques. I only had it in cc and cc lines none on dipstick,and radiator is full to top checked warm and cold..the amount of milky **** i had was small but still its there. Car hasn't been overheated either.apparently there are a few people who have had this. thx

Originally Posted by 02*C5
I drain my catch can every single time I do an oil change. I have never had any "coffe and milk" in my catch can.
1st time for me. I wonder if the high humidity here might play role on top of being cool then warm constantly.thx
Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm. Well then I would say it is a 50/50 chance nothing is wrong. You might also look in the overflow bottle. I had a the same problem on a Porsche 944S track car I had, and the peanut butter would boil/bubble up to the overflow tank after the car was hot and then cooled down. The bottom of the overflow had a 1/2" thick layer in the bottom of it. Turned out it was a crack in the water jacket in the head caused by an air bubble in the coolant system that ended up in the head and then it expanded and cracked it.

Clean everything out and watch it. Drive it like you usually do and see if you ever get more of it. If not, then awesome. Drive it like you stole it. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

It is a common issue here in LA where the humidity is measured with a dipstick. I see it all the time under valve covers and in catch cans when a vehicle hasn't been driven enough to boil the contaminants out of the oil. Keep in mind, when it is very cold outside it could take as long as 30 minutes to get the oil temp up to 212*+

Shane
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
It is a common issue here in LA where the humidity is measured with a dipstick. I see it all the time under valve covers and in catch cans when a vehicle hasn't been driven enough to boil the contaminants out of the oil. Keep in mind, when it is very cold outside it could take as long as 30 minutes to get the oil temp up to 212*+

Shane
I agree, you see this in cars that make short and infrequent trips also, condensation and not getting up to temperature, gets humid in south jersey, nothing but meadows (pretty name for salt marsh swamp lots of crabs and greenheads....) see it alot
Old 02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

thx everyone. I have spoke to a few people and it is very common here this time of year. I dont think its a 50-50 chance nor am I worried now.

Quick Reply: Catch can worries