Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bare/unused ls1 blocks???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bare/unused ls1 blocks???

I have the opportunity to purchase some bare LS1 blocks. They are the '99-05 blocks. But here is the catch. Two are sleeved, but have light rust on them. The other one is completely bare...no sleeves...never had sleeves.

So my questions are:
My understanding is that the stock sleeves can be bored .010 MAX. That will probably be enough to remove the surface rust on these sleeves. What would that block be worth in its current state?

The block that was cast without sleeves (don't ask) will obviously need to have sleeves installed. What would a set of stock bore standard sleeves cost?

Which companies manufacture said sleeves?

What would the non-sleeved block be worth? Anything? Because I'm thinking that the cost of sleeving an entire block may be more than it would cost to buy a block that is ready to go.

Is anyone on here familiar with GM casting numbers for blocks that were used in R&D?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you buying cheap to use for a personal build, or buying cheap hoping to make a couple bucks? If its the latter I think I'd pass if I were you. I think the cost of the sleeves and the labor would most likely offset any profit you may see.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Like allngn asked, what are your intentions with these blocks?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Not intending to resell. My intent is to buy them cheap and build an engine. Well...there are three of us who are thinking about buying one each and building an engine after we acquire the other requisite parts.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well for personal use to build a motor and the fact that they are cheap, I say go ahead. The costs involved may make it worth it. No way were you going to sell them and make any money.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Okay. So back to my questions...

How much is one of the sleeved blocks worth? $250? More? Less?

What do a set of 8 sleeves cost?

What is a non-sleeved block worth? $100? More? Less?

Would anyone on here happen to be familiar with LS1 experimental/R&D casting numbers?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

You could try shooting a PM to Shawn@VASPEED

He's currently building a 427 for WKMCD out of a resleeved ls2 block. Shawn has done all the work and I'm sure he'd have some type of insight.

Another member that may be able to help would be Helicoil. He's actually got a thread on this awesome build he's doing right now. Go check it out.

Hey bro, since I don't know anything I thought I'd at least try to point you in the right direction. Good luck....
Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

I don't understand how you could have a block with no sleeves. The sleeves are cast in place while the block is being poured. Due to this special process replacement sleeves are of a special design and are not cheap. If these are some kind of special R&D type blocks then I would worry about what else is not the same as a production unit. Personally I would pass on all of those even if they were free.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

The person who is selling the blocks needs to measure the bore of the non-sleeved cylinders to see if the sleeves were possibly machined out of them. Otherwise, the blocks were cast without sleeves and I have decided to not purchase any non-sleeved block. But, for all intents & purposes, they are legit and unused '99-05 LS1 blocks. Sounds like they were final castings and not needed before full production began. So they sat around and collected dust at Buick City...until now.

Thanks for the info, allngn_c5.