Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build questions?

To make a long story short I lost my bottom end, and need a new one. Well at least new pistons. I am getting the motor bored .007 over and the stock pistons won't fit. I am wondering I have cam only car that has an HPE S cam. I have stock heads too, but I plan on running some PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads

The local machine shop wants to put Speed Pro Hypereutectic pistons in. Pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets and all will run me $700. Now here are my questions...

How much hp can stock rods handle with ARP bolts? Is it going to be worth it to buy some Scat I beam rods for a H/C car or will stock rods handle that no problem?

If I plan on a 150 shot down the road when I add heads to it. Will the stock rods take that too or would I need the Scat I beams?

If I am running my HPE S cam would 5.3 heads have piston to valve issues vs stock heads?

Now my car will 95% likely be just a H/C car do I really need to invest in Forged pistons and different rods, or will the Speed Pro hypereutectics and stock rods with ARP bolts be good enough?

Sorry guys but I can't find answers to these questions anywhere, and I want to be sure my bottom end will handle a H/C car. I am a poor college student who doesn't make much $ haha and I don't want to see my tax return go to waste.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Teching In

If you are planning on spraying the car I'd go ahead and get a set of forged pistons and a good ring set (steel top ring). I believe wiseco has a really good deal on pistons with rings. The stock rods should hold up but I would replace the rod bolts with a set from arp. Buy quality bearings. Replace oil pump. Etc.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ Good advice......

And I might have some used 5.3 2.5's coming off my car when my tax refund gets here if you are interested.....
Old 02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
^^^^ Good advice......

And I might have some used 5.3 2.5's coming off my car when my tax refund gets here if you are interested.....
Reach me through a PM with how much you want for em.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree, the stock rod bolts are the weak point, so if you replace them with ARP bolts, you're good there. The stock rods and crank hold up pretty well. For nitrous, I'd definitely invest in forged pistons, preferably with a steel top ring like Lazpno said.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

So you guys are sure that stock powered metal rods will hold a h/c setup even with a little bit of juice?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Traitor LS1
So you guys are sure that stock powered metal rods will hold a h/c setup even with a little bit of juice?
I'll put it to you this way. Anything can break... and most often, under abuse or heavy usage it will. The weak link in the stock rod is normally the rod bolts, by replacing these, the next weakest link in your setup (should you go with a forged piston) will be the stock rods. People have seen stock rods clear 700hp without issues and people break rods from sustained abuse. If you can afford a set of scat rods with good rod bolts, I'd say go for it, but again, you are looking at more money especially on the nickel and dime stuff (bearings etc). I'm sure someone will tell you that you will be absolutely fine, I'm not that guy. I'm the guy that will tell you, **** will break.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Traitor LS1
Reach me through a PM with how much you want for em.
PM sent
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd look into something like the Mahle pistons, they're forged, come with rings, have cuts for the valves so you don't have to worry about p/v, and they can also run with the stock rods! That way we can custom mill & setup the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads for the best possible compression for your application. If you buy the flatop speed pro's your still going to be p/v limited & therefore can't get the compression we'd like to get out of the combo for best possible power.

We always mill PRC heads to customers specs for free! Just give us a call if we can help in any way! We try to keep several sets of Mahle pistons in stock incase your in a hurry!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com