Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help figuring out what is making this noise (video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That depends on whats damaged. I would think that if the roller part of the lifter is fine, then no. Not 100% sure on that. If it was bouncing up and down on the lobe of the cam, could of done some damage. I'll let someone more definite chime in on that one.

Last edited by 1SLwLS1; 02-09-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: reading comp owns me
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Did they use new cam sprocket bolts? or atleast use locktite when the cam swap was done,....could be a bolt came loose and its eating the front cover,aslo there's a bearing on the cam plate. and also are the rocker shafts getting plenty of oil?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

since heads are being pulled might as well get some better ones. At least it will make it fun LOL!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ some 799s or 243s would be a budget and more than worth it swap.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

^^^agreed. at least your car will be faster when problem is fixed
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NastyC6
Did they use new cam sprocket bolts? or atleast use locktite when the cam swap was done,....could be a bolt came loose and its eating the front cover,aslo there's a bearing on the cam plate. and also are the rocker shafts getting plenty of oil?
I did not use new cam bolts, but I did use locktite. The sound seems to be coming from near the top of the heads, where the heads and intake meet, so I'm really thinking either lifter or cam lobe at this point. The rockers are getting plenty of oil.

I thought about the heads, but at this point I need to save as much money as possible, so I don't think I'll be upgrading them.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

i dont remeber if i read it throughout this post but have u confirmed ur flexplate bolts are all tight and ur flexplate is not broken...i would go and invest in a mechanics stethescope and try and narrow it down from there if possible.... good luck regardless i am a mechanic by trade and noise sometimes can be very frustrating.

Last edited by nostixs; 02-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

if its running fine, check your starter cover/flywheel.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Sounds like you got one of the "Bad batch" F13's. That sounds like cam/ lifter damage. I had a cam walk and chew up some lifters one time, and sounded exactly the same. Sorry bro, I'd pull the heads and check out those lifters or at least pull the valley cover to check out the cam lobes.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda sounded like my stock motor when I broke #7 ring land. I had a ton of smoking to go along with it and a smashed electrode on the spark plug so it was pretty easy to figure out
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Hey all,

Thank you very much for all the help/comments/opinions. The car is running fine now, but I wanted to give a little update in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

A few days after this video was taken, the noise actually became much quieter than what you hear in the video, but it was still there, particularly during deceleration. With the help of a local, we used a stethoscope to isolate the noise to the driver's side of the engine. He told me it was likely to be either the rocker arms, or a bad lifter. So, I pulled the valve covers on that side and pulled the rocker arms, but they all looked normal. I also checked all pushrods and each valvespring individually, but everything checked out. So at that point, I decided to pull the heads and check the lifters. (I meant to run the engine with no valve covers, but I forgot and didn't remember until I was halfway through removing the drivers side head)

After pulling the heads, I replaced all the lifters on that side with a set of used ones that another local buddy of mine gave me. Put it all back together, started it up, and the noise was gone. Ran it for a few minutes, changed the oil (nothing out of the ordinary there), and I've been driving it since with no problems or noises.

Hopefully this info will be useful to someone else in the future!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Teching In

you may call me crazy but i had the exact same problem..couldnt pin point a lifter or rocker or pushrod. it was carbon that must have broke loose and was sitting on top of the piston. put a can of seafoam in the gas and while it is running take your airbox off and get a spray bottle full of water. keep your rpms up a little and spray the water into the throttle body. this will help breakdown the carbon in the motor. i did this and it worked. my car had 40k on it and i was so pissed i thought my motor was shot. someone told me to do the water trick and it worked! its worth a try man so give it a shot and let me know how it works. run a whole bottle of water through it and put the seafoam in it! hope this helps a lot!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSeyaaa
you may call me crazy but i had the exact same problem..couldnt pin point a lifter or rocker or pushrod. it was carbon that must have broke loose and was sitting on top of the piston. put a can of seafoam in the gas and while it is running take your airbox off and get a spray bottle full of water. keep your rpms up a little and spray the water into the throttle body. this will help breakdown the carbon in the motor. i did this and it worked. my car had 40k on it and i was so pissed i thought my motor was shot. someone told me to do the water trick and it worked! its worth a try man so give it a shot and let me know how it works. run a whole bottle of water through it and put the seafoam in it! hope this helps a lot!
I've heard of the seafoam idea and know it works because my buddy's old TA had it done and ran better. I've never heard of spraying water into the TB. That just doesn't seem right to me. I'll stick with what I know works.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Did you get a new head gasket?

i went through the same thing with a 3000GT DOHC I had and after replacing ALL 24 lifters with new ones, the noise was still there.
And after further inspection we notice a bad lobe(scrape) kinda like a rock chip got stuck in between the rockers and the lobe and scrape the lobe of the cam but, look like the problem all along was that the car had the wrong head gasket install by the previous owner with really thin gaskets so we replace them with new OEM specs and WALLA!
noise was gone....
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I've never heard of spraying water into the TB. That just doesn't seem right to me. I'll stick with what I know works.
yeah i know i was a wondering about it too. but my dad and the local speed shop assured me it was okay. he explained it to me. the water will evaporate under high temperatures...water in the oil is bad news but spraying it in a mist in the TB is just fine. now a garden hose on full blast into the TB would be bad lol...just put it in a spray bottle on mist!!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

you can spray water, just need to spray it from a fine mist bottle so that it turns to steam in the intake.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

^^^this does makes sense. thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

so a bad lifter was the culprit? good to see it's driving ok now.

Quick Reply: Help figuring out what is making this noise (video)