Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010 | 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

you might could consider a gear first
Old 02-12-2010 | 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
you might could consider a gear first
What do you mean by this statement...I am not following what you are talking about....
Old 02-12-2010 | 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chevyman9306
What do you mean by this statement...I am not following what you are talking about....
some people change the gears in the differencial to a lower ratio before doing a H/C change. it's just an idea to increase performance

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-gears.html
Old 02-13-2010 | 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the suggestion but I already have 3.23 and a m6 so really I want a real choppy idle cam with a good power band...prolly something custom ground along the big ***** thumpr line...of course this will be a little bit down the road...I think I bought the right style cam just had more than what I needed so if I could get one a little smaller I think I would be really happy with the results...
Old 02-13-2010 | 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevyman9306
Wow this is very helpful to hear as I was trying to build it in reverse but I am starting to understand why to build the other way around...also decided maybe waiting one more season to cam the car might be a better idea so that I can do more research on the ls1 as I am realizing that I don't know as much as I thought I knew...so for now I think I will build the tranny while it's out of the car, put the 243's on it, ls6 intake and few minor things and have fun for the summer and collect a few parts on the way for the real build next winter
Well at least I didn't almost mess up big time...whew...Thanks to all for the advice!!!

That's the way to do it Get the car ready to handle the power you are gonna throw at it and put together a well thought out combo. Define your goals for the car and then do the research to see what you need to get there...
Old 02-16-2010 | 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I am going to put the heads on but don't see any threads on doing the swap...like what is needed and torque specs...they are stock 243 heads going on a ls1 motor...can I take the lifters...ect off the 241's and put them on the 243's??? I am going to have a machine shop go thru them next year and actually build them up but want to use them in their stock form for this season so while I know upgrade is better and this that and the other I want to stay stock...THANK'S TO ALL IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 02-16-2010 | 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3 The head bolts in this writeup are OEM GM TTY. YOU CANNOT REUSE YOUR OLD HEADBOLTS IF THEY ARE OEM TTY AND HAVE TO GET NEW ONES If you use ARP's make sure to get ARP lube and follow ARP specs. ARP's are not TTY so you can reuse them next time the heads come off..

You can use your old lifters but most change them since a set of LS7's are $120 and an old one failing can wipe out your $400 cam. I would recommend going ahead and spending $30 and get upgraded LS2 lifter trays for sure and then you can reuse them when you port your heads. The old LS1 trays sometimes get weak and cause a lifter to spin in the bore.

Get that bitch together and let us know how it does