Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power...

i picked up a 98 formula a few weeks ago, on the way back from dallas (about a 3 hour drive) the car felt like it dropped a cyliner, it had a #3 misfire ses code, i changed the plugs and got everything running great, then i sent the PCM off to Solomon to get the EGR tuned out and the rear O2's also. I put the computer back in today and now the car is back to running like garbage... no power, feels like its not running on all 8 at all.. i'm going to start by changing the plugs again and see if that helps..

anyone have any ideas at all?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be something along the lines of fuel pressure. Sometimes when i start my ws6 quickly without letting the fuel system prime itself, it'll start up sounding really crappy similar to that of misfires or not running on all 8 cylinders.

Check your fuel pressure b4 going through the trouble of changing spark plugs. Also, maybe you'll want to check and see if maybe you're coils havent gone out too.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. My ecu was actually messed up causing the problem
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

i have had issues with this car since i got it a couple weeks ago... the first thing the motor is not the original motor and when the guy swapped them he had put a different coil pack harness on the driver side and left the factory one there... well i took the factory one off and left the other one on there.. so just now i went out and took the Non origianl harness off and put the factory one back on and now the car runs greatish... ha..

i took it down the street and it ran great i got on it a little bit the car took off ran hard.. i turned around to head back to the house and when i turned around the car started running rough again, acted like it wanted to die so i got home turned it off, let it sit for a minute or 2 then fired it back up, idles great now revs strong, i back it out of the drive way and hit the gas a little and it responed great.. i can't take it for a drive right now because my wife just left for class and i have both my boys here... i'm just going crazy with this car.. its making me insane... i just want to know what is going on

it has an ses light on right now so i need to get it checked (don't have a scanner right now).

how much was the new ecu, and was your car doing the same things as mine? i was getting a #3 misfire code before when it did this.. haven't changed the coil pack yet just because i can get it to run good, if a coil pack was bad wouldn't it do it all the time?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

how do i go about checking fuel pressure... this is the first time i have really messed with a car before.. i've worked on 4wheelers before but nothing like this...

i am a fuel system mechanic on the B-1 but thats a little different then the fuel system on this car...
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

what about the O2's? i did have a ses light before for i think it was just the rear O2's... the car has longtube headers on it and no cats... if the rear O2's were bad would it cause this issue?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tx98Formula
i have had issues with this car since i got it a couple weeks ago... the first thing the motor is not the original motor and when the guy swapped them he had put a different coil pack harness on the driver side and left the factory one there... well i took the factory one off and left the other one on there.. so just now i went out and took the Non origianl harness off and put the factory one back on and now the car runs greatish... ha..

i took it down the street and it ran great i got on it a little bit the car took off ran hard.. i turned around to head back to the house and when i turned around the car started running rough again, acted like it wanted to die so i got home turned it off, let it sit for a minute or 2 then fired it back up, idles great now revs strong, i back it out of the drive way and hit the gas a little and it responed great.. i can't take it for a drive right now because my wife just left for class and i have both my boys here... i'm just going crazy with this car.. its making me insane... i just want to know what is going on

it has an ses light on right now so i need to get it checked (don't have a scanner right now).

how much was the new ecu, and was your car doing the same things as mine? i was getting a #3 misfire code before when it did this.. haven't changed the coil pack yet just because i can get it to run good, if a coil pack was bad wouldn't it do it all the time?

I had #2 misfire, changed the coil pack and it ran great for a bit, then started to run like crap again.

So I bought a new ECU and that fixed it. i sold the car 2 months later so i dont know if it came back
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

i went to autozone just a little bit ago, they ran the codes and i had a P0300- Cylinder misfire detected- random cylinders.. possible causes, ignition system fault spark plug(s) ignition coil- vacuum leak- injector fault- high or low fuel pressure.

then it also had a bank 2 position 1 O2 sensor light, i picked up a new O2 sensor and i'm going to replace that.. i believe that one is the passenger side upstream O2 (please correct me if i'm wrong)

the car is running great right now, its not rough at all, idles smooth, has good throttle respones, when i get on it, it takes off! which is why i am confused abotu the misfire code. if it was misfiring wouldn't it be running like garbage?
could is possibly of stored that code from when it was running like crap before?