Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Heads n Cam thread.. WOOO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Heads n Cam thread.. WOOO!!!

Well, I have had my car for basically 3 years.. And I was planning on going with a full out turbo/procharged setup... Then got thrown the idea of going with a Katech 427 motor.. I think I finally came down to getting a Strange Rearend and do a heads n cam package followed by QA1's with Stranos.

Now my question to everyone here is... What is a solid heads n cam setup that could hit the goal of roughly 500whp? I dont drive the car much at all.. mostly a few times during the summer and a couple track outings, I just dont want anything wild.. Just something solid that isnt lopey to where it wants to die but has that angry sound with the power ready to roll. Another question would be, with my current mods would a 90/90 or a 92/92 be something I should look into as well? Well thanks in advance for the help.

Current mods
TTS Longtube headers
TTS Cats
Corsa Catback
Lid
Vigi 3200 stall
Old 02-12-2010, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

nobody has a heads and cam setup they recomend? Im sure you guys have some killer setups for something like this.. so lets hear it!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of potent combos out there just depends on your budget and what your definition on mild is. TAke a look at the sponsors online catalogs, that will give you an idea then use the search or vise versa.

But here are some of my favorites:
1. trickflow 215s and vindicator
2. trickflow 215 and t-rex
3. PRC 215s and MS4
Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

first off, if u truly want FI then save and go that route. i put 10k into my h/c/i and nitrous to only be dissapointed. now i just picked up the turbo and am at step one again with the wrong cam trans and rear end...

second, theres so many combos its not funny. i have the polluter cam and home ported 241s and i made 430 on a md dyno. i think this polluter coupled with a good set of 1 7/8 headers bigger intake tract and a fast intake sittin on som trick flow heads can be good to almost 500rwhp.

after drivin my car dd all summer i kinda wanna hurry up and slap this turbo on my car, just so i know my car is tame till boost!

good luck we wanna see a build...
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Yay! thanks for some input! I decided I dont want to go all out on this car like I did when I first bought the car. So heads,cam,rearend will be just enough for me. It has 19k miles on her and I just want something to hold me off for about 2 years so I can possible adopt my dads vette when he finds the Z06 that catches his eye. So keep the combos commen! Let me know why you like the combo etc..

*edit* I just listened to all those cams and the vindicator is my favorite by far.. sounds soo mean...

Last edited by 1FasstWS6; 02-12-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FasstWS6
Yay! thanks for some input! I decided I dont want to go all out on this car like I did when I first bought the car. So heads,cam,rearend will be just enough for me. It has 19k miles on her and I just want something to hold me off for about 2 years so I can possible adopt my dads vette when he finds the Z06 that catches his eye. So keep the combos commen! Let me know why you like the combo etc..

*edit* I just listened to all those cams and the vindicator is my favorite by far.. sounds soo mean...
yea. Thats the right way to pick a cam, the one that sounds best.
On a serious note pick the cam that best suits your needs not your ears. I went with ported 243 heads and the ms4 cam. Call Texas Speed, they have the world record head cam swap.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

500rwhp on a stock bottom end won't happen but get the best heads you can afford and a well matched cam and you will have a fast car. If you get a cam that makes power past 6200 a FAST setup will help feed your heads the air they need to carry power.

Why in the world are matching a drag shock with a lowering spring?? The ride would suck and the shock would fail prematurely Go read up in the suspension section....
Old 02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
500rwhp on a stock bottom end won't happen but get the best heads you can afford and a well matched cam and you will have a fast car. If you get a cam that makes power past 6200 a FAST setup will help feed your heads the air they need to carry power.

Why in the world are matching a drag shock with a lowering spring?? The ride would suck and the shock would fail prematurely Go read up in the suspension section....
there are a few ls1s on stock bottom end making 500rwhp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTSA778AqtA
this one made 507 rwhp.
it can happen, its just not every set up does it.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah those cartek built cars are done right, they build some quick car. I look around at some of the combos and the ones with custom cams seem to make the best power. I see alot of trickflow head cars making power as well. Just research some cams and I look at the flow numbers on the heads and research them as well. I went with my cam because the car it was in made good power and ran good, went 10.82@126.9 cam only in a 6 speed car. PatG and predator-z are guys that have some of the best advice on this most likely.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by franksaltz28
yea. Thats the right way to pick a cam, the one that sounds best.
On a serious note pick the cam that best suits your needs not your ears. I went with ported 243 heads and the ms4 cam. Call Texas Speed, they have the world record head cam swap.
lol, I know you dont choose a cam from sound. Just stating out of all the ones I heard the vindicator sounds the best. the others are wayyy to lopey for my tastes.. My buddy has an MS4 cam waiting to go in his 04 gto, so i kinda want to see what numbers he puts out. Otherwise I am still leaning towards the trickflows, heard alot of good things about them. I dont really know to much about the different cams, but I guess its time to dig deeper into the flow numbers etc..

Thanks again for all the advice! keep it coming!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FasstWS6
lol, I know you dont choose a cam from sound. Just stating out of all the ones I heard the vindicator sounds the best. the others are wayyy to lopey for my tastes.. My buddy has an MS4 cam waiting to go in his 04 gto, so i kinda want to see what numbers he puts out. Otherwise I am still leaning towards the trickflows, heard alot of good things about them. I dont really know to much about the different cams, but I guess its time to dig deeper into the flow numbers etc..

Thanks again for all the advice! keep it coming!
No problem, i know i first looked into the ms4 cam bc of the way it sounded, but i picked that cam bc its proven to work.
Either wich way make sure you get the F.A.S.T. intake. Those cams listed need to breath, and a fast intake really wakes it up.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by franksaltz28
there are a few ls1s on stock bottom end making 500rwhp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTSA778AqtA
this one made 507 rwhp.
it can happen, its just not every set up does it.
That is Alex's car. He has a new setup now and I tried to buy the heads on that car off him.

Yeah I guess TECHNICALLY that is a stock bottom end car but I am positive it has rod bolts in it and 99% sure pistons are flycut......

Gotta love those 6k clutch dumps
Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat G had a recipe for 500 rwhp.

Or

You could try a TFS 215 with a custom cam, or even the vindicator with lots of compression. Do you have access to good fuel? Quality 93 octane? 91 won't quite cut it. 11.7 to 1 compression, all bolt ons including ewp and ud pully and a good tune might get you there. Your exhaust might hold you back unless you are able to mimic the 4 inch custom Y that Pat G used. JMO, no guarantees implied.

Give Ron@Vengeance a call and see what he tells you. Will probably be similar. Might need the tfs 225. The 215 might not allow the peak hp to hit your 500 rwhp goal.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Pat G had a recipe for 500 rwhp.

Or

You could try a TFS 215 with a custom cam, or even the vindicator with lots of compression. Do you have access to good fuel? Quality 93 octane? 91 won't quite cut it. 11.7 to 1 compression, all bolt ons including ewp and ud pully and a good tune might get you there. Your exhaust might hold you back unless you are able to mimic the 4 inch custom Y that Pat G used. JMO, no guarantees implied.

Give Ron@Vengeance a call and see what he tells you. Will probably be similar. Might need the tfs 225. The 215 might not allow the peak hp to hit your 500 rwhp goal.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Ill be giving him a call within the week so I can see what they say about that cam etc.. if I dont get 500whp im not going to lose sleep over it, I was just shooting a number out there to keep me going for a bit.