Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick New Heads Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick New Heads Question

I had something happen with a valve and it broke a push rod and made the push rod hole nice and oval, so I need new heads. I can get a pair of LS6 heads cheap freshley rebuilt. With my mods below what kind of power would I gain and what casting should I be looking for, #243 right? Also would these heads throw off my tune, I'm not looking to re-tune anyime soon. Again I just need to replace the stockers cheap and these are cheap. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SDPC sells new ls6 heads for $445 each,#12564824
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Are these heads just rebuilt or have they been worked over? Simply putting rebuilt LS6 heads on your car is not going to increase flow enough to affect your tune drastically but some seriously worked over ones could. Either way it's worth it. Especially if your tuner offers a retune price if you've already paid for the first time. At G-Force in Houston I paid $500 a couple years ago to have my tune done and if I do any other mods and go back it's only $75 to retune it. See if something similar applies to you.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JarrettL
Are these heads just rebuilt or have they been worked over? Simply putting rebuilt LS6 heads on your car is not going to increase flow enough to affect your tune drastically but some seriously worked over ones could. Either way it's worth it. Especially if your tuner offers a retune price if you've already paid for the first time. At G-Force in Houston I paid $500 a couple years ago to have my tune done and if I do any other mods and go back it's only $75 to retune it. See if something similar applies to you.
+1 A re-tune couldn't hurt tho
Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Ok let me try this again. Stock head on my daily driver is shot so I have to replace it to go back and forth to work, my questions are. Since I can get the LS6 rebuilt heads for cheap, $350 for both and I already have some center bolt valve covers lying around, how much power would I gain from them and will it throw the tune off far enough that it needs to be retuned? Also am I correct about the casting #243 being what I need. I am not looking to spend more on heads nor am I going to get it re-tuned anytime soon. My guess is around 15-20hp and the tune still being fine, but that is just a guess. Need some help I have to get the heads soon.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone? Please help I'm ordering in the morning. Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Pull the trigger. But can I ask how you're ordering #243 castings for $350 for an assembled pair? I'd make sure you're actually getting #243s for that price.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I guess I am going to. Thanks.
They belong to a friend of a friend out of state who has his own shop. I guess they do port work at the shop and these were a core off a z06. They were cleaned and rebuilt at the shop. Not ported though. Fully built without rockers or pushrods $350 plus $50 shipping.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent price, buy 'em. Casting 243 heads flow way better than 241 heads and you'll gain about 1/2 a point in CR. They are worth about 20 HP to the wheels unported, a little less if you're stock, maybe a little more if you already are modded. You'll need to get retuned to take advantage of the increased flow. As long as you don't beat on it too much, you probably can wait a little while to get the tune done.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet. My friend has a tuner program so I will have him log some data on a run aftrer the install just to make sure everything is cool till I can get a retune. Do you know if the intake port is any larger ont the ls6 heads? If so I think my ported ls6 manifold will like these heads. Also, everything is the same on the ls6 heads correct. I can use the rockers and push rods from my
LS1 right? Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your time.