Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will the 224 cam be a noticable difference from...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue98Z
There's nothing wrong with the 224 cam. It's a proven cam and one you cant go wrong with. I've seen a buddy of mine go 11.6X's with that cam only in a M6. That cam makes good power all around which is nice in a DD. There are bigger cams that will do the same, but most of the bigger cams make their power high up in the rpm's. This is a great starter cam no doubt. You'll eventually go bigger as most do, but for now that cam is a good one to have. Just for reference I run the Vengeance VRX4 which is a 228/230 .588/.592 on a 112lsa. It makes good useable power all over also. Probably the last cam I'll buy til I build my 383.
What he said. The 224 is a great all around street/strip cam. I ran the tr 224/224 114 in my old car and saw about 40whp on top of my old bolt-on numbers. Wen't high 11's with a 6-speed full weight with that stick plus it would pass smog with the stock manifolds back on if need be.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThumpnZ28
I'm not sure about any of those rumors. My way of thinking is, the more lift I have on my cam,the more fuel and air I can pull in, which in turn, equals more power. Ask around, maybe some other folks will know more about the lobe pofiles.
But if the thunder cam has a better ramp rate, and gets the valve to full lift faster and there longer it would be a better choice than the TSP 224R despite the TSP having more lift. Lift and duration are a small part of the equation.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form a cam guru. Don't take my word for it talk to the folks that have spent countless hours of R&D. I am only explaining it as I understand it.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
But if the thunder cam has a better ramp rate, and gets the valve to full lift faster and there longer it would be a better choice than the TSP 224R despite the TSP having more lift. Lift and duration are a small part of the equation.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form a cam guru. Don't take my word for it talk to the folks that have spent countless hours of R&D. I am only explaining it as I understand it.
This is what I keep hearing, the TR opens the valve to max lift very quickly and holds it there longer before closing. Basically instead just opening to .581" and closing immediately, it opens to .551" stays open for a few deg* and then closes. makes sense just not sure if it's true.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when looking at cams compare the duration numbers at .050-.100-.200,you will see the difference in lobe intensity.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Cool

I'm really glad I decided to jump in on this thread. I'm learning as I go. I read a lot, and I trust my tuner completely, but all of this only inspires me to read and learn even more.