Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started on the red car tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

LOL. It's running but I still have to do brakes, bleed the clutch, take it to the exhaust shop and wait on my wheels. I will post a few pictures I have taken. Nothing special just a few shots.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ordered a 4inch cutout last week. As I feared the set of XS headers I have, the driver side collector is angled up towards the floorboard to much. It's going to have to be cut and rewelded. I can't even get the y pipe on. Other than that the XS headers fit fantastic. Since I am having the y pipe redone for the flowmaster merge and the cutout I am thinking about going ahead and get a torque arm now so I only have to do the exhaust once.

I can't wait to get my wheels back. I think they will look sick being 17x11. I am trying to figure out if I am going to use a 24mm or 30mm spacer for the back. I am sure I am going to have to roll the fender some which shouldn't be that big of deal.

I am looking at the new NT05 tires.
I am looking for two chrome Firehawk wheels so I will have a full set of 17x9's. If I could find a set I would get the NT05R's for the 17x11's since I wouldn't be driving on them all the time.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got the tick m/c hooked up tonight. Filled it with coolant and ran it for a while. Even over the exhaust I could hear a vacuum leak. I had installed the HSW nitrous plate and it was pulling air in from the open ports. It idles kinda high around 1100 but with open exhaust and no drive time it's hard to say what the problem is. I shot some carb cleaner around the intake and T/B and didn't seem to make any difference. I got my 4 inch cutout today. When I replace the brakes, bleed it and the clutch I should be able to drive it or take it to the exhaust shop.

I still have the racetronix pump/wiring harness, LCA's, brackets and the T/A I am going to order. I am going to so that on the shop on the lift so that stuff will wait.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a pic of my CNC'd T/B
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a great build can't wait to see it completed
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Looks like a great build can't wait to see it completed
Thanks.

I will be happy when I get the exhaust on it and can hear everything. Hopefully the idle will calm down after I drive it.

"So far" it sounds good. It's not backing firing out of the intake or exhaust so that's a good thing.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

random pics

Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Lookin good, bro! I think I might drop the engine the same way when I go to do heads... my back was on fire just doing valvesprings for the cam install.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its pretty easy to take out. There was no way I was doing it in the car.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bled the clutch tonight. I "think" I got all the air out of it. The speed bleeder didn't work quite like I thought it would but it was OK. I had to adjust the tick adj. M/C out some to get enough stroke to bleed it out.

Drive shaft is in, well it's in after I tried to fill the tranny and dumped about two quarts of Mobil ATF fluid on the floor. Now it's full.

Took all the brake parts off. Cleaned and sandblasted the calipers and brackets.

Two coats of high temp primer. Tomorrow I will prime the rotor hats. The replacement caliper I got from Car Quest looks like someone took a grinder to it to fit a set of pro stars. I am sending it back and hopefully the next one will look like factory.

After reading a thread in the suspension section I am going to have to break down any buy a T/A so I can have my exhaust made once.

Still no word from weldcraft on the status of my rims. I am still trying to decide if I should go with the NT05 or the drag radial. My poor 7.5 doesn't stand a chance.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finished pretty much everything up. I am waiting on my torque arm from UMI so I can put it on before I have the exhaust ran. I still have to put on the LCA's, brackets and the racetronix fuel system. Since I have to drop the tank I am going to do everything at once.

The car is on the ground now and I am going to take it for a quick drive later. Here is a better idle video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABstKJpv_NU

Last edited by LilJayV10; 07-28-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went and drove it tonight and frankly i am let down. Given the car does have open headers which I would guess could cause problems. False knock, the O2's sucking cold air in, exhaust blowing on the fuel lines.

It hunts idle really bad, never dies but it wants to. Part throttle and anything under 2 grand it bucks really bad. After you get a certain point it smooths out. It feels like it has a miss in it but no SES light.

After I get exhaust on it I will try again.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I went and drove it tonight and frankly i am let down. Given the car does have open headers which I would guess could cause problems. False knock, the O2's sucking cold air in, exhaust blowing on the fuel lines.

It hunts idle really bad, never dies but it wants to. Part throttle and anything under 2 grand it bucks really bad. After you get a certain point it smooths out. It feels like it has a miss in it but no SES light.

You named all the causes as to why open header is a bad idea. You're in good shape, bro. I think tuning can sort out the drivability issues too. Don't get disheartened until you have the whole setup lined out.

For what it's worth, I had an exhaust leak about the size of a pencil eraser that was about 18" from my O2 sensor and my car had a ton of drivability problems. After getting that leak fixed, it was a night and day difference, no other changes.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10

how can you have good expections without a tune
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
how can you have good expections without a tune
It is tuned. I called Mike Norris today and asked him about it and he said open headers is a bad idea. I am going to replace the spark plugs this weekend and trailer it to the exhaust shop which is across town.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I started it today to move back into the garage. It definately has a miss. I pulled a plug and it's black. I know it's from running open headers.

I got the UMI adjustable long T/A with the relocation bracket from Sam. This thing looks serious.

I dropped the rearend and fuel tank tonight.

Installed the racetronix pump. The fuel sock on the outside of the module is filthy. There seems to be all sorts of **** in the tank. Where I picked this up I don't know. I will replace the sock and filter and try to get the crap out of the tank.

After that I have the T/A, roto joint LCA's and relocation brackets to install. Then off the exhaust shop.

I decided on the new Nitto NT05 R tires today an ordered them. We will see how that goes. If they hook I am sure I will blow up my rear. I will have to take it easy on the power shifts.

The racetronix stuff is top notch. I have used it in the past and would not use anything else.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's been slow going with the heat and work.

I installed the T/A, relocation mount, LCA and brackets and the fuel system upgrades.

The UPS man showed up with my NT05 R's today. Oh they are sexy.

I am waiting on the rims to get back from WeldCraft.

I am going to have to wait till next week to get it to the exhaust shop. The guy I work for is on his way to the Mopar Nationals with that Super Bee and a Daytona so I won't be able to use the trailer till then.

In some spare time I hooked up the nitrous solenoids/jets/purge. I am not looking forward to the wiring, but that's a ways off. I won't spray it until it gets dyno tuned.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Looks great good job Go Texas Rangers!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Great read - glad you kept this "journal" of your progress - good luck with your exhaust

Quick Reply: Started on the red car tonight...