Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started on the red car tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Thank you for the replies. There was a lot of stuff I didn't take pictures of because there are so many great builds on here. I got my Firehawk wheels back tonight so I will have the nitto's mounted on them in the morning. Then I will be waiting for PJ to get back with the trailer.

I replaced the spark plugs. I think they are actually easier with the headers than the stock manifolds. Taking the coil pack off on the passenger side makes a huge difference.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool build, so what was the exact cam you went with?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

EPS custom grind cam, 226/230 .598/.600" 112LSA +2
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got the car back from the exhaust shop today. Dave did a fantastic job. Ground clearance is great. The lowest point in the cutout motor. I wish QTP would have clocked the flange different. It's just a matter of time before I rip the thing off. Other than that the lowest point is the y pipe on the driver side. You can't see the headers or any of the exhaust system.

A common problem with the XS header. The driver side collector angles up towards the floor board too much. He cut it off and rewelded it.

I got in it, started it...........and it sounded like a damn farm truck. We raised it back up on the lift and found out where the four tubes come together on the drive side header is leaking. Whoever made the headers forgot to weld the middle of them together. It sucks but I was expecting something to go wrong. I am taking it back Wed afternoon to have it fixed. He is going to have to drop the exhaust and find a way to reach inside and weld the tubes inside the collector.

I drove it home and will drive it back but that's it. I am sure its sucking fresh air in and making it run rich. The leak is right under the drivers floorboard and is annoying. At idle you can hardly hear the cam through the SLP dual/dual muffler.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got the car back from the exhaust shop today again. The space in between the headers primary was completely open. He welded a star shaped piece in and the car sounds amazing. No rasp, no drone.

However the car is SLOW! I took it out on the highway and was not impressed at all. It pulled smooth all the way up but for supposedly adding 100rwhp I am not impressed. Hopefully there is A LOT left in the tune.

Here are some pics to show ground clearance.
Drivers side

Passenger side. I took the e-cutout off for right now till I decided how I am going to mount it.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 08-26-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Engine vid. The thing isn't this noisy in person. The camera amplified it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFxRR9VXhgk
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I decided that I do have quite a bit of valvetrain noise. After talking to Geoff today at EPS he said he suggests a 7.425 pushrod on a stock motor. Since I have had .025-.027 milled off my heads he said to use a 7.4in pushrod. The motor is smooth but has a lot of noise especially around 2500.

I ordered a LC-1 wideband O2 setup last night with a red DB gauge and a triple gauge pod setup. I am hoping to have it dyno'd tune in september. I start hooking up the nitrous wiring the other night.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I put the 7.4 inch pushrods in tonight and WOW it sounds better. I can't believe how much quieter and smoother the engine is. I didn't realize how much noise it made before. All you can hear is the exhaust now when you drive it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0WfoAJFm0

Here is a vid of the exhaust through the SLP muff. My non gearhead brother didn't get exactly what I wanted him to do so he just started revving it after it started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNtlrrPk8M
Old 12-07-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's been a while since I have posted. Not much going on really.

Work, work at the shop and the new house have kept me busy and with no extra car money.

The lift at the shop was free tonight so I jumped on the chance to use it.

I installed my DMH cutout. It is a really nice piece, I like it a lot more than the QTP...HOWEVER..It took me almost three months to get it. It took another three weeks before that to get the switch for it. I know things happen but DAMN. Luckily I wasn't in any big hurry to get the car done. It sucked because if there was another company I could have went through to get a cutout you can adjust I would have. I am a pretty reasonable person but I am not happy with DMH. It was one excuse after another, I left messages but never heard anything back. Called for a week and got no answer. I know I am not his only customer her has but I am very dissatisfied with the customer service.

Anyway! I got the cutout on tonight. It fits and works great. The car sounds SICK with the cutout open. It's not like open headers at all where the car sounds like a wet fart. Going threw the y pipe and the 4 inch pipe under the back seat it sounds really good.

I also installed the nitrous feed line and the blow down tube I got from Nitro Dave's. Very nice piece.

I ran the feed line threw the floor pan plug and drilled a hole for the blow down tube and ran both under the drivers side rear passenger seat.

I still have to get the fuel and bottle gauges. I don't NEED these things for the car to get tuned but I want the whole thing done before I take it up to Mike to have it done. There's really no big rush now with it being winter. If time permits I am going to repaint the car this winter. Hopefully it will work out.

Here's the new car we are working on at the shop.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous, your car is very nice. I want to drive that sexy thing all OVER!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you got the valvetrain noise issue resolved. Any chance we can get an 'idle' vid from the back of the car? TIA.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Glad you got the valvetrain noise issue resolved. Any chance we can get an 'idle' vid from the back of the car? TIA.
I think I have one I will have to look.

The valve train is much quieter till around 2300-2500. I can tell when it hits that RPM without having to look at the tach. It doesn't run rough or miss just clatters.

I hope when I take it to Mike Norris he can help figure it out.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet garage man!! Nice job on the build too!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
Sweet garage man!! Nice job on the build too!
LOL. It's not my garage....I wish. It's the resto shop I work at. Pics of my garage are in the beginning of the thread.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8qt115bzwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbuBABd-6oY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRB-XLNiXWo

Last edited by LilJayV10; 12-17-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I picked up the fuel pressure and bottle pressure gauges a few weeks back. I still have not had the car tuned.

I also ordered Nitro Dave's dual purge kit so I can have a purge line coming from each vent on the rear of the hood. Nitro Daves also has these really cool dual port inline fittings. So on the bottle feed line I can have one fitting with the pressure safety switch and bottle pressure sending unit on it. Same with the FPSS and F/S sending unit. It will clean up the installation quite a bit I think. I hope to get to work on that tomorrow. Depends on how much stuff I can push out of the way.

I have been going back and forth for a week about getting a ported 92/92 setup. If I run across a screaming deal I will get it and sell my LS6 intake and ported TB. I only want to have this thing tuned once.

I was all ready to sell it a week ago but couldn't move the car because it was snowed in. I have been thinking about what I want to do with the car this spring and the money I would be putting into the intake, T/B, new nitrous plate I can put in my audio system.

I ordered a 6litre vinyl double din bezel and amp rack tonight. I will be ordering a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD w/ 7inch screen soon.
This is what it should look like, this is not my car, I took this from another thread.

I also have to order the Kee Audio premium speaker package, amp, sub, enclosure and sound deadening material too.

I can't justify the cost of the FAST right now with all the other things I want to do.

I also want to do the HID conversion for my car and a set of Strano sway bars.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Thank you for the replies. There was a lot of stuff I didn't take pictures of because there are so many great builds on here. I got my Firehawk wheels back tonight so I will have the nitto's mounted on them in the morning. Then I will be waiting for PJ to get back with the trailer.

I replaced the spark plugs. I think they are actually easier with the headers than the stock manifolds. Taking the coil pack off on the passenger side makes a huge difference.
Did you happen to take any pics of the wheels before mounting tires?
Could you pm me info on weldcraft?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Did you happen to take any pics of the wheels before mounting tires?
Could you pm me info on weldcraft?
No I didn't take any pic's of the wheels before I mounted them.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I ended up picking up a ported FAST 102 tonight....
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get this tuned? I noticed you are using Mike Norris - are you in Indy? Very interested in the numbers you're going to get - as I'm using the same cam and 5.3 TEA 1.5 (62cc) heads. I'm going with a ported LS6 instead of the FAST due to budgest constraints. I'm going to have Mike do my tune as well.

Quick Reply: Started on the red car tonight...