Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap #2... asking for help this time...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never said your shop wasn't good. I think your engine work is of top notch. I'd take it to you guys for any mechanical fabrication or work. Hell, I'd take it to you guys for manual tuning if I had a manual. Just from others experiences Doug does not tune auto cars well. His experience is in road racing and manuals which explains why he's good at those tunes.

I understand autos are tough to tune. Having a loaded dyno would help you out also.

I'm not throwing any names under the bus. The person had absolutely nothing to gain.

My name is irrelivant. You don't know me nor have you ever heard of me.

And last, with a cam like that, he'd benefit with a higher stall. Cam's that size on autos require a 3500 or larger. Especially with a heavy car like a GTO. He'd even benefit even more if it was a 4k stall. I don't need my TC anymore and am just offering to help out someone with a good deal. If he would want it, that's great. No skin off my back if he doesn't. Just making an offer to help another car guy.

Last edited by 00MaroonZ28; 03-27-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranrace
We use a pretty univerisal math to reach some what of a Flywheel horsepower level. Not 100 percent perfect, but gets a rough idea of the power level of the engine.

Randy
PS Damn you are up early, heading to the NASA meeting down south?
I work overnights
Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=00MaroonZ28;13094661]Never said your shop wasn't good.QUOTE]

"First of all, DMR tunes it conservatively when on the dyno so you probably got a little power to spare."
Thanks for this one.

" Keeps him from blowing **** up like he's done in the past."
Yep what we are know for, blowing stuff up. I didn't mean anything bad BS........

"Second, he's not a good A4 tuner and has had problems tuning them in the past. "
Did you know everyone has a uncle for a transmission builder.

"Trust me, I know many guys that have gone out there just to be disappointed"
Just like all these engines we blow up right?
Name two guys that has showed up to the shop with a good car, friendly, didn't act like a know it all, no broke wires, broken plugs, headers-exhaust banging off the floor, and was too much of a puss to speak up if something wasnt right. Left here unhappy to get flat out blown off by DRM. Should we say in the last 5 years? The first day of a business class I learned, you are going to have a couple pain in the *** customers a year. But someone honesty has a huge problem we take care of it.

"and have heard from people who have worked for him about his LS tuning problems."
This one really breaks my heart unless it's from the a-hole in the north. There is a saying KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE AND ENEMIES CLOSER. Rippie's work a bit different we help our friends like crazy and who cares about our enemies.

"HiTech tunes are good for peak hp but are horseshit for street manners. CJTunes and Adam's Speed Shop (A.S.S.), a friend of mine, have done a good job on my car for half the cost. They'll take the time to tune it right. A 45 min tune will be horseshit for street manners. Ask me about my HiTech tune. Anyways, come over to MNGMP.Org and see what the guys over there say. Not much different than here. If you want I can get you in touch with Adam and get him to tune the car. He got mine pushing 410 through a Dana 60 with 4.10's and 3500 stall and smaller cam than yours. With the size of your cam, you'll want a bigger stall. I'll be selling my TCI 3500 in a couple weeks when I get my new transmission with a 4k stall. Let me know if you're interested or have questions."
Selling for your buddies, now I understand the blowing out our candle to make your's glow brighter. There is always more to a story then meets the eyes. You are the best sales guy in the world. You can tell what the customer wants without ever talking to him or even reading the first damn post.

Last edited by Ranrace; 03-27-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Never said your shop wasn't good. I think your engine work is of top notch. I'd take it to you guys for any mechanical fabrication or work. Hell, I'd take it to you guys for manual tuning if I had a manual. Just from others experiences Doug does not tune auto cars well. His experience is in road racing and manuals which explains why he's good at those tunes.

I understand autos are tough to tune. Having a loaded dyno would help you out also.

I'm not throwing any names under the bus. The person had absolutely nothing to gain.

My name is irrelivant. You don't know me nor have you ever heard of me.

And last, with a cam like that, he'd benefit with a higher stall. Cam's that size on autos require a 3500 or larger. Especially with a heavy car like a GTO. He'd even benefit even more if it was a 4k stall. I don't need my TC anymore and am just offering to help out someone with a good deal. If he would want it, that's great. No skin off my back if he doesn't. Just making an offer to help another car guy.
So after I said something the story changes.

I know you aren't going to throw any names under the bus. So what you did is threw everybodies name under the bus. Nice work a-hole, I have known these people half my life. That takes a huge bite out of my heart, it really does.

You really have me laughing this AM. I know who you are and for the record I'm going to call you Obama JR. Say anything to leave a impression, the only person that benefits from it is yourself and your friends. And once confronted you slime ball your way out.

Dude you are a class act.
Randy
PS You should look up the words "libel" and "Defamatory" before you post more crap from a keyboard quarter back postion. We aren't going to court or anything. It's just not that cool. It's a small world and even smaller without any bridges.

Last edited by Ranrace; 03-27-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they didn't blow mine up i was worried that i did a bad job on my build and that it was gonna explode. Doug was giving me crap saying that if it was gonna blow up it woulda already. Except for having to swap injectors(28's to 42's) when i got there i had my car in perfect running condition though too. I had a slight miss when i first built it and got all that situated before i brought it in. I think we all need to get along he did around 10 pulls on the dyno with mine because it was being a pain in the *** to tune and the car took all he could throw at it

Last edited by Cole Train; 03-27-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

So after I said something the story changes.

I know you aren't going to throw any names under the bus. So what you did is threw everybodies name under the bus. Nice work a-hole, I have known these people half my life. That takes a huge bite out of my heart, it really does.

You really have me laughing this AM. I know who you are and for the record I'm going to call you Obama JR. Say anything to leave a impression, the only person that benefits from it is yourself and your friends. And once confronted you slime ball your way out.

Dude you are a class act.
Randy
PS You should look up the words "libel" and "Defamatory" before you post more crap from a keyboard quarter back postion. We aren't going to court or anything. It's just not that cool. It's a small world and even smaller without any bridges.
And I'm the one that needs to grow up. I've been the civil one in this argument. Facts are facts. You can only sue for someone lying. Seems like I hit a nerve for ya. It's always true about the saying "truth hurts".

Plus, I really don't care where he takes it, but I'm giving him recommendations. People that have had good experiences with others and people that have helped fix tunes that others have messed up. I don't gain anything by refering him to anyone. Of the guys I know that tune, only one is my friend and I just know of the other. Both do a good job for half your price and will retune for new mods when you need it. Do you guys charge extra for a customer that tunes with you, then mods, then needs a retune?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't we keep this post on track rather than you two bitching at each other in every other post... ANNOYING!!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

AGREED.... Randy-im still deciding whether or not Ill be doing another cam swap(the GTO rips... definitely fast and sounding amazing)-but IF i do...you guys will be taking care of it, and I guarantee that you guys will be seeing me again (whether it will be the GTO or future cars)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

PS-let me know if any of these ninnies step up to the plate... I will drop it off for ya.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cole Train
I think the surging i'm still getting on the street could be better tuned out but overall he didn't do bad. Mine is a TSP 228R on a 112 LSA.

lol @ suring with a baby cam.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I don't think your cam is THAT big. I spoke with TEA last week actually and they said with their 5.3 heads and a cam around 230 on the intake they see between 430-450rwhp.

Since you have their heads I would call and talk to them. Those guys really know their ****.
Very true.... Tooley recommend a cam with no more than 228* on the intake side with their ported 5.3's to have healthy PTV clearance. TSP can do this because of their shrouded valves or whatnot. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

So whats the issue here?

This is what I'm getting out of the thread.

1. The cam is too big so its not making the power it should?

Really the bigger the cam the more peak power you will make.

The big cam will have driveablity issues not making a number.

So what is the issue then?????????
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kmracer
lol @ suring with a baby cam.
LOL @ your lack of spelling.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
well.. you're both wrong. I already said why on page 1. That cam belongs in a much lighter car with a much higher stall.
haha, nice one.
Ill agree with you on the converter, other than that...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerfreak07
PS-let me know if any of these ninnies step up to the plate... I will drop it off for ya.
No one said they were going to do it for free, so don't get you hopes up or anything!

Like I said before I think there are more issues with the car than just the tune, so until those are sorted out then there is no point in anyone tuning the car at all! And again, if you want the car tuned by someone else, myself and many others have had great experience with you can send me a pm and I will gladly give you his number. Its not going to be free though.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best of luck O/P i hope it all gets figured out for you. As for the baby cam comment i wouldn't call it a baby cam but it's not an aggressive one either. It does surge but it's not terrible and only does it sometimes. Just something i need DRM to polish up when i get a chance to go down there
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
LOL @ your lack of spelling.
I can't talk at all on that one. Yesterday at 5AM I sounded drunk That is me at 5am, board line mentally handicap.

Randy
Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bjorne043
Why don't we keep this post on track rather than you two bitching at each other in every other post... ANNOYING!!
Sorry you are right, there is going to be some good that comes out of all of this. We really want this to be a good experience for both the customer and for us alike. I hate getting a email from a customer about threads like this...

Randy
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blu byu EH
So whats the issue here?

This is what I'm getting out of the thread.

1. The cam is too big so its not making the power it should?

Really the bigger the cam the more peak power you will make.

The big cam will have driveablity issues not making a number.

So what is the issue then?????????
Sorry about the half story. We suggested that someone like us goes into the engine and takes a good look around. If you are looking a cam timing anyways, we suggested a smaller camshaft at the same time. His horsepower goals are not that big, so there is no point in running that large of a camshaft.

The main issue with this car is the install, I don't want to get into all the details. I'm 99 percent sure we will find the reason why it's down so much on power in the heads (bent valves, seats wrong or something like that) If not it will the camshaft degree or something like that. Did anybody check for a bent pushrod after all the valves crashed the first time, me, you and the whole internet has no idea.
If he wants to run his big camshaft, no problems. Check piston to valve clearance and make sure eveything else is healthy. We really need to talk with TEA, Is Tooley the guy we need to talk with??? Who's camshaft is this, because we should talk with him also.

We maybe not 100 percent perfect, but we aren't 80 horsepower off.

Randy
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Launching!

I can't talk at all on that one. Yesterday at 5AM I sounded drunk That is me at 5am, board line mentally handicap.

Randy
wasn't directed to you buddy! now get back to work!!!

Quick Reply: Cam Swap #2... asking for help this time...