Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what "Re-Build" actuall means.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what "Re-Build" actuall means.

My buddy wants to lets re-build my LS1. What exactly does he mean by "re-build" ?? I mean what parts or compents of the motor is he talking about replacing?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like a fail in the making. Is there a reason he wants to "rebuild" it? Is it broke?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

old age? has 159,000...he believes the timing is off, so we're gonna do a H/C swap with ls6 oil pump, chromoly PR's, LS2 timing chain...etc...

Really I just wanted to know what was some things to replace while we were down in there, he's getting out of the military next year and moving back to Florida, there goes my only real life F-body local friend! he's a good mechanic and i'm not, plus he's doing this stuff for free, as I couldnt even change PR's by myself

So I guess the new question is what else to replace while the motor is down?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Replace the rings and bearings minimum. You could bore it but unless the cylinder walls look bad i wouldn't. Replace freeze plugs, cam bearings. Timing chain and oil pump would be a good idea since it's got so many miles. I would get a set of ARP rod and main studs/bolts, whatever you LSX guys have. They would be good insurance on a H/C car.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with the money you'd spend buying the rebuild kit, having a good shop check your block, etc. it may be more worth your while just to buy a new (blue printed) short block or a used short block with low miles if you're on a budget.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so it might have 159k on it but have u done a compression check, leak down test, or any other testing on it to see if it really needs a rebuild? if it aint broke leave it the hell alone!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

I hear ya on he if it aint broke. read another member did H/C swap at 169,5xx and at like 300 miles later his engine hydro locked. hate to see something like that. I may take it to do compression check or leakdown. Just to make sure my block is worthy? is it expensive?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

idk what it cost iv always done all my own work.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ some ppl never had the oppertunity to have someon show them the ropes around an engine
Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

You can buy a compression test gauge at Harbor Freight or an auto parts store for under $20 and it works by threading into each spark plug hole in place of the plug one at a time and turning the motor over while checking the gauge.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

take all the plugs out and block open the TB. and really needs to be done on a warm motor
Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

these compression testers have instructions with them? you close off the throttle body and take out the spark plugs and just hook up the gauge?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Unplug all the injectors or pull the fuel pump fuse. Don't want to load the cylinders up with fuel.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
^^^ some ppl never had the oppertunity to have someon show them the ropes around an engine
No offense man, but that's not much of an excuse. Go get a manual and roll up your sleeves! Whatever you can't find in a Hanes manual you can find on here on tech. Heck, most of the time with pictures as well as full, detailed descriptions.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ lol, I have a hanes, came in this week . and god the spark plugs? I haven't tried to change mine yet, shoulda did it when the headers we off Doh!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
^^^ lol, I have a hanes, came in this week . and god the spark plugs? I haven't tried to change mine yet, shoulda did it when the headers we off Doh!
The drivers side is easy. For the passenger side take off your coil pack assembly and I always like to remove the oil dip stick as well. Makes it 10x easier!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

i'll keep that in mind, my buddy justin warned me!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TechCam97
No offense man, but that's not much of an excuse. Go get a manual and roll up your sleeves! Whatever you can't find in a Hanes manual you can find on here on tech. Heck, most of the time with pictures as well as full, detailed descriptions.
He has a point, if you dont have someone to actually walk you through it, the best alternative is to just ******* do it. I'm NO mechanic by any means, but take your time, ask question, take your time, and ask questions.

- The first time i replaced my break rotors and pads, it took me 6 hrs . Now granted, i was goofing off with my friend, but it shouldn't have taken n e where close to 6 hrs; but i LEARNED.

- When i replaced my brake lines with SS ones, it was my first time EVER bleeding a break system. It would have went without incident had i READ the Hanes manual and checked here FIRST. i might have seen the warning to never let your BR get dry... Now i know how to do it, and i leanred.

- The first time i ever did plugs on an f-body was on my buddies TA w/ headers. I then did mine on my SS with Mani's.

- The first time i did a manifold swap was also on my buddies TA. We went from a LS1 to a FAST. Talk about intimidation, it looks like "death", but if u take ur time you will be ok. I also removed his A.I.R, never did that before either.

Also, you're a member of a premiere site with people who, please don't shoot me, should probably charge for all the great/FREE advice and knowledge they just give out to those who ask. I lurk the board and posts ALL day long; i spend waaaaaaay to much time on LS1Tech, but everything i have really learned, i have learned from here. I then just take my time, and apply what i leanred. I also ask a lot of questions.

Tear into it, and good luck!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
He has a point, if you dont have someone to actually walk you through it, the best alternative is to just ******* do it......
Exactly. Back in 2000 I was 16 with a 1997 Camaro convertible and a Hanes manual. My dad taught be the basic principles, but I had never done anything with a car. As things broke my Dad would give me the Hanes manual and a smile. He said he was doing me a favor and I must admit he was right! I've now done everything from brake jobs and oil changes to complete engine rebuilds (LT and LS) and wiring overhauls. Trust me, you can do it. But like Nightrydass mentioned, do your homework first before you even touch your car. It's nerve wracking at first but I promise you'll get used to it. I helped my cousin completely rebuild a 1999 Trans Am. It had barely any wiring (previous owner had cut out almost everything that was not vital to racing), almost all the suspension pieces were missing, the interior was completely gutted, brake lines missing, etc. There was not a bolt, nut, or wire that we did not touch with our own two hands and repair or replace. Now she's up and driving around and no one would ever think we found her in a field, stripped and abandoned.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

check this out:http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2

That should be VERY helpful with whats involved.

Quick Reply: what "Re-Build" actuall means.