Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quietest roller rocker & lifter setup?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quietest roller rocker & lifter setup?

I tried searching but only came up with 3 pages of "Quietest Muffler" threads..lol..Anyways, I am looking for personal experiences with quiet Roller rockers and or lifters...I had a 370 in my 04 SSS and I had the crane golds with guide plates and free vmax Rhoads lifters(Wifes last name is Rhoads) and that sucker sounded like a diesel with a sewing machine bolted to it..lol..
and my wife hated it!! so now I am trying to make my new motor quiet..

...What is the quietest Roller Rocker on the market? Are there any lifters quiter than stock?

-Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im wondering the same thing so i will give you a bump to the top.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I would guess that a combination of Stock rockers with the upgraded trunion paired with LS7 Lifters and properly sized pushrods would be the quietest combination.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real question is why do you need a roller rocker? Stock LS1 rockers are about the lightest and strongest out there. If you setup the valvetrain properly, you don't need a roller tip to compensate for poor geometry.

Install the stock rockers and check for the proper wipe at the valve - you want the contact centered on the valve tip over a the whole open - close event. Once you shim the rockers to the proper height, you can determine the proper length pushrod for the base circle diameter on the cam, the install height (accounting for head gasket thickness and any milling) and the desired lifter preload.

That is a brief summary, but a search here should get you more details, and save you the expense of a heavier but weaker roller rocker that makes your valvetrain more difficult to control.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hammertime
The real question is why do you need a roller rocker? Stock LS1 rockers are about the lightest and strongest out there. If you setup the valvetrain properly, you don't need a roller tip to compensate for poor geometry.

Install the stock rockers and check for the proper wipe at the valve - you want the contact centered on the valve tip over a the whole open - close event. Once you shim the rockers to the proper height, you can determine the proper length pushrod for the base circle diameter on the cam, the install height (accounting for head gasket thickness and any milling) and the desired lifter preload.

That is a brief summary, but a search here should get you more details, and save you the expense of a heavier but weaker roller rocker that makes your valvetrain more difficult to control.
Well to be honest the needle bearings in oem scare me, as I have already had a rocker fail in my old motor...If I am going to go through the trouble of the trunion upgrade(Comp/HS)..I figured I could get a nice set of RR for a little more...FWIW I do agree with you *but* RR look so damn sexy too, and seem to have come down in price..
Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I run Yella Terra rockers, Morel bar lifters, PAC 1521 springs and 3/8 pushrods. All properly setup and my valvetrain is pretty quiet with a very high lift small duration cam.

Comp also has a trunion kit for the stock rockers to end you stock needle bearing fear.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Valve spring selection and how much pre-load you run affects the noise factor mainly. Lifter and rocker arm type dont really make much difference to the noise unless your talking solid lifters that is
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Comp also has a trunion kit for the stock rockers to end you stock needle bearing fear.
Ive ordered the Comp trunion ugrade kit myself. The stock rockers, or rocker without a roller tip, is the way to go!

I too have a small duration, high lift cam. And the best rocker I thin k you can get right now is the stock one with an upgraded trunion.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention the trunion upgrade...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quietest roller rocker & lifter setup?