Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I blew a head gasket at minimum, any input will help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question I think I blew a head gasket at minimum, any input will help!

Ok so tonight I took my car to the tracks and made 2 passes with no problem and after the 3rd pass I went back to our parking spot and my car when I came down to idle started smoking white and it smelled like coolant. The temp guage never went up a bit but I shut it down and its in my shop now. Pulled the oil cap and it had a little smoke coming out and when I stuck my finger down in there, there was a little bit of white milky residue. Car still runs great and I left it idle about 10 min before I parked and it still no overheating and oil pressure gauge same as always been. The car only smokes at idle when I give it gas it stops then when I let off and it settles at idle it starts smoking again. Coolant level isn't down at all either, I caught the problem pretty quick. So at a minimum I am gonna do new head and intake manifold gaskets. Any other things I should do or check? I don't think since the car never got hot at all that head would be warped or cracked or am I wrong? Should the heads be milled or planed while I have them off or can you just change the gasket?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Launching!

I would say definitely have the heads checked out just to be sure. You can never go wrong especially if they are gonna be off the car! Ya it might be added costs but in the long run it will be worth it especially if there is something wrong with the heads! Either way good luck and let us all know what happens!

Vince
Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put a straight edge on the heads .
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by garygnu
put a straight edge on the heads .
I think I am gonna take it to a race car motor builder around here to have them checked out. I am not worried about doing the gaskets I can do that myself but a cracked or warped head would destroy my check book. Is it possible if one is cracked or warped to have that fixed and not need to buy a whole set of heads?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how bad they are. They can be milled to get perfect again; inless it's too warped.
Could have cracked a piston, ringlet, something other than a head gasket as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Depends on how bad they are. They can be milled to get perfect again; inless it's too warped.
Could have cracked a piston, ringlet, something other than a head gasket as well.
If I cracked piston or blew a ring wouldn't my oil pressure be down and the car run bad? It still ran smooth as ever till I shut it off, and wouldn't the smoke be black or blue if was a bad ring or piston? It's very white and has a definate coolant smell.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddie cracked a piston ringlet, his ran fine with a lil smoke. Did a leakdown and that cylinder was done. When we took the head off (expecting a gasket) it looked fine; top of the pistons looked fine, got a ringlet. Not saying this is your problem, but almost the same symptoms and that's what happened to his. Smoke was not black or blue, and smelled like coolant.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a cracked head can welded.if the heads are off,look in all the cylinder bores with a flash lite while rotating the crank.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by garygnu
a cracked head can welded.if the heads are off,look in all the cylinder bores with a flash lite while rotating the crank.
Thanks I'll add that to the things to do too.