Sponsored by:

How do you i check push rods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you i check push rods?

Quick question,

I know that I can pull my valve cover off, unscrew the rockers, and then just pull the push rods out, but how do i tighten everything back.

Stock GM lifters should be tightened to 22ft-lbs, but depending on the position of the cam, some rockers will be tightened more and some will be tightened less since they will be under different amounts of pressure.

GM recommends that the #1 piston should be top dead center, tighten xxx rockers, rotate crank 360, tighten xxx rockers. But how the hell do i get piston #1 TDC? I don't want to take all my accessories off, and timing chain cover, just to see the aligment dots.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by -DLS-
Quick question,

I know that I can pull my valve cover off, unscrew the rockers, and then just pull the push rods out, but how do i tighten everything back.

Stock GM lifters should be tightened to 22ft-lbs, but depending on the position of the cam, some rockers will be tightened more and some will be tightened less since they will be under different amounts of pressure.

GM recommends that the #1 piston should be top dead center, tighten xxx rockers, rotate crank 360, tighten xxx rockers. But how the hell do i get piston #1 TDC? I don't want to take all my accessories off, and timing chain cover, just to see the aligment dots.
The entire point is to tighten the rocker whose lifter is on the base circle of the cam. An easier method is "intake closing-exhaust opening". For a pair of rockers to each cylinder, look for the intake pushrod to start moving downwards. This guarantees the exhaust lifter is on the base circle, so you can tighten the exhaust. When the exhaust begines opening, the intake lifter will be on the base circle, so you can tighten the intake rocker. Pretty common method.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
The entire point is to tighten the rocker whose lifter is on the base circle of the cam. An easier method is "intake closing-exhaust opening". For a pair of rockers to each cylinder, look for the intake pushrod to start moving downwards. This guarantees the exhaust lifter is on the base circle, so you can tighten the exhaust. When the exhaust begines opening, the intake lifter will be on the base circle, so you can tighten the intake rocker. Pretty common method.
that works. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, if you were wondering how to find TDC for cyl #1, it's found when the cam/crank gear dots are lined up (dot-to-dot).
Old 04-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
Just to take sure.

Get intake pushrod to move all the way down = valve closed
This means exhaust rod is all the way up = valve opened

Tighten when valve is opened/rod all the way up.

Isn't this backwards. Sorry
Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -DLS-
Just to take sure.

Get intake pushrod to move all the way down = valve closed
This means exhaust rod is all the way up = valve opened

Tighten when valve is opened/rod all the way up.

Isn't this backwards. Sorry
No. Re-read what he posted.

It isn't intake-opening/exhaust-opening. It's intake closing/exhaust opening. When the intake pushrod begins to go down (the intake valve is closing), the exhaust lifter is on its base circle, and when the exhaust pushrod begins to move upwards (exhaust valve is opening), the intake intake lifter is on its base circle.

Edit: By using this method (lifter on base circle), one can also accurately measure for proper pushrod length/lifter preload (with an adj pushrod of course ).

Last edited by squirts11; 04-20-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good info for me as I'll be tackling this when I do my "little" project.