Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed oil(M1 5w-30) now has tick. Video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me as well i own a 2006 trail blazer ss 6.0 ls2 changed the oil m1 oil because of warrenty well 5 w 30 it had a lifter sound like a tick pulled valve covers every thing fine so changed oil and filter to conventional pens 10 30 noise still there so kept driving now is has a blown motor spun bearing so have it checked out I would never use m1 again i always used pennzoil thats what is in all the rest of my cars.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What filter did you use - hopefully not Fram?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticMissile
ok video is up
man that is nothing, my grand cherokee ticks louder than that.

You should hear my H/C setup with Comp R lifters, patriot duals springs and an XER cam. serious sewing machine but thats the draw back of going beefy on the powertrain!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

try a heavier weight and see what it does.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Moble 1 is thinner than most other oils, they built up a good reputation and then took advantage of it by using ****, I used to run royal purple but it gets expensive, I like castrol syntec since it doesn't cause that ticking on my car at least and cheaper than RP.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camz28arro
Moble 1 is thinner than most other oils, they built up a good reputation and then took advantage of it by using ****, I used to run royal purple but it gets expensive, I like castrol syntec since it doesn't cause that ticking on my car at least and cheaper than RP.
Some grades of mobil 1 are a bit more thin than some other synthetic oils but that is not always a bad thing. Where is your proof they are using **** now? Mobil 1 0w-40 happens to be widely used all over the world in top level race cars. Countless offshore teams run it. Just because you have a tick does not mean its always the oil. Sometimes the filter can be the culprit. If the weight does have an effect on the noise then thats great. But keep in mind you are not getting more wear because the 5w-30 M1 is making the tick that was always there more evident.

There is alot more to oil then most on this site realize. Royal purple was actually taken to court by british petroleum over "false adverting claims". RP's oil has also been shown to "shear" quite a bit which is not a favorable attribute when discussing lubricants. Castrol is a Group III oil and as such is cheaper than Castrol syntec. Will you ever see a difference, doubtful.

Visit bobistheoilguy.com it will dispell alot of these oil "myths" we find here that never seem to die.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Some grades of mobil 1 are a bit more thin than some other synthetic oils but that is not always a bad thing. Where is your proof they are using **** now? Mobil 1 0w-40 happens to be widely used all over the world in top level race cars. Countless offshore teams run it. Just because you have a tick does not mean its always the oil. Sometimes the filter can be the culprit. If the weight does have an effect on the noise then thats great. But keep in mind you are not getting more wear because the 5w-30 M1 is making the tick that was always there more evident.

There is alot more to oil then most on this site realize. Royal purple was actually taken to court by british petroleum over "false adverting claims". RP's oil has also been shown to "shear" quite a bit which is not a favorable attribute when discussing lubricants. Castrol is a Group III oil and as such is cheaper than Castrol syntec. Will you ever see a difference, doubtful.

Visit bobistheoilguy.com it will dispell alot of these oil "myths" we find here that never seem to die.
I've started seeing bad things about RP too so I'm glad I switched a while ago. There is nothing wrong with a thinner oil, but people want what is on the label. When I first started coming on this site around 2004 or possibly on camaroz28.com, which sucks compared to ls1tech, I saw people were saying mobil 1 was making the piston knock and noises louder.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Fram oil filter by any chance? Had a similar problem it was starving the motor of oil...ditched the fram haven't heard it since.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my car and changed the oil for the first time I switched out to Mobil One 10w-30 because it was the middle of July. In the winter though I run 5w-30 because of how cold it gets here. Nobody attack me for that, but that's what I do lol. Anyways, after that first initial change I too picked up some valvetrain noise. From what I have read and talked to people about switching over to synthetic just makes things noisier for some reason. My car ticks like a DSM now, but it runs like a champ. I'm not too concerned with it because it has done it for almost a year now. Like everyone says pull the valve covers and look around to give yourself some piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Changed oil(M1 5w-30) now has tick. Video inside.