Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a 230/232 .612/.595 110+1 XFI/XER lobed cam into my otherwise stock longblock with 853 heads. I believe that the cam is close enough to absolutely require degreeing, checking PTV, and checking PR length. I degreed mine to check it was installed correctly (109.5 - 110 ICL per degree wheel) and then found I was pretty close on PTV clearance. I used a Comp PR length checker to give me zero lash and using the check spring method I ended up with .075" intake and .090" exhaust. Those are both below the recommended .080"/.100", but I felt ok considering I am running stock valves and checked the installed height/shimmed every spring to within .080 of coil bind. My PR length check showed I needed 7.425" intake PRs and 7.400" exhaust. I bought the Comp crank degree socket and it made the degreeing a lot easier. All the extra work to measure correctly pays off because my engine is very quiet unlike a lot of folks who just throw stuff together and the motor sounds like a sewing machine.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m_donze
you, like adam and matt, have now joined the group trying to catch me. you better get a new clutch in that thing before the cam, esp since the way we drive yours won't last long. also id hate to have to break in a new clutch on new cam.

And when we racing for your woman? I believe she belongs to me for a night if i remember correctly. I'd hate to have to up it to 2.
Catch you? Now why would I want to go in reverse?