Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads are off and short block makes weird noise when turning over?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads are off and short block makes weird noise when turning over?

Is the short block supposed to make a noise when the heads are off, theres no oil in it and your turning it over to check TDC. It doesnt make any noise then at TDC and 180* past TDC it seems like it makes a screech and then it stops.... its not that bad of a screech its just a different noise from most of the 360* its being turned. im wondering if this is normal and if i should continue to install the heads or look into this more to make sure everything is normal. Maybe im just paranoid idk but i would hate to get everything on then find out there is a spun bearing or rod messed up, any opinions?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a ring dragging or such, something you would never hear when the motor is running with OIL, Try Wiping all the cylinder wallls down with some clean oil and see if it goes away...
Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what Raron455 said .

If it was running fine with no noise prior to tear down, put it back together .
Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i wiped the cylander walls down with oil and that didnt do anything for the problem. It sounds like at TDC and 180* past that metal is rubbing somewhere making a grinding noise. im wondering if its normal or maybe its just something to do with my flywheel, clutch or tranny, i dont want to proceed further until i know my short block is in perfect health, any recomendations? thanks

Quick Reply: Heads are off and short block makes weird noise when turning over?