Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking like a B*tch- help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Smoking like a B*tch- help

I have a 99 z28 on Passeger side exhast I have white smoke coming out when I'm on the gas. Also have smoke coming out of Passenger head or Erg line I can't tell. Drives rough as hell at 55-65, but not bad as I accellerate. No water in oil. Any Ideas on the most likely cause? I'm not very motor savy , would like to install a 408 stroker but I do not have the money, may just have to fix what I got
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on the engine? I would replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and your EGR gasket (if you haven't already blocked them off).

If that does not fix it, I would take it to a good exhaust place and have them check the system for leaks.

That is the cheap first step to fixing your problem....my .02
Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

It sounds like a blown headgasket to be honest, I would do a block test. You can get them at autozone/napa. Just because no water in the oil or vise versa doesn't negate it not being a headgasket.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Ok , don't think it's the head or head gasket. PCV line was loose and the smoke was pouring out of that once it got hot causing a huge vac leak. Also getting no back pressure coming out of my radiator. Before I hook it back up should smoke be coming out of this line . If not what does it mean rings bad?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adam120674
I have a 99 z28 on Passeger side exhast I have white smoke coming out when I'm on the gas. Also have smoke coming out of Passenger head or Erg line I can't tell. Drives rough as hell at 55-65, but not bad as I accellerate. No water in oil. Any Ideas on the most likely cause? I'm not very motor savy , would like to install a 408 stroker but I do not have the money, may just have to fix what I got
I would say withwhite smoke it can only be one thing! Water getting into the combustion chamber. How its getting there is difficult sometimes to figure out. Just because the water is not in the oil does not mean its not a head gasket. The gasket can blow between cylinders and this might not make it in tho oil passages. Also the leak could be small enough that it would not presurize the coolant system. this as a result would not change the coolant level that much either for while. I have see this happen as well.
My .02
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes i agree,if you have continious white smoke,you have a bad head gasket. The coolant is being sucked into the combustion chamber past the head gasket.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

ok, but smoke coming out of the Pcv line, would that indicate I have bad rings or something allowing the smoke from the head to pass to the bottom of the block.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

ok, but smoke coming out of the Pcv line, would that indicate I have bad rings or something allowing the smoke from the head to pass to the bottom of the block.
yes.... some of the smoke gets past the rings and goes into the crankcase... then vents out of the pcv
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, took the head off today. I found a bent pushrod, everything else looked good. Possable it was just over reved and done no more damage to anything?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

Ok , replaced head gasket and pushrods with chromoly pushrods. Cranked up , liked like the car was on fire!!!!I saw oil getting pushed out on my turbos exhaust side. Going to unhook turbos to make sure seals in turbos are not bad. Then about 10:00 that night I remembered something. While I had the heads off, I poured some oil on top of my pistons, thinking that if I had some bad rings it would leak down. I rotated the engine to push the excess oil out over the block when I was done. I thinking this is what causing the smoke. As I said in the first post, I'm not very motor savy. Is it Ok to just run the car and let it burn it off or do I need to do something else?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok , replaced head gasket and pushrods with chromoly pushrods. Cranked up , liked like the car was on fire!!!!I saw oil getting pushed out on my turbos exhaust side. Going to unhook turbos to make sure seals in turbos are not bad. Then about 10:00 that night I remembered something. While I had the heads off, I poured some oil on top of my pistons, thinking that if I had some bad rings it would leak down. I rotated the engine to push the excess oil out over the block when I was done. I thinking this is what causing the smoke. As I said in the first post, I'm not very motor savy. Is it Ok to just run the car and let it burn it off or do I need to do something else?
If it's just some residue I wouldn't worry about it. Let it fun for 5-10 mins and if it doesn't clear then worry.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We need to know your build specifically i had no idea this was even turboed until i read this post.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Launching!

the fact that you have turbo's changes everything should have mentioned that one.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, unhooked turbos, capped oil lines. Cranked up, oil is pouring out of exhaust manifold both sides.