Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

if i were you i'd go to a gm dealership and get new hoses for the PCV
Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
those MIGHT be cause it but i can't say for sure, did you try to spray the area with carb cleaner to find the leak area?
spray what area?

if i were you i'd go to a gm dealership and get new hoses for the PCV
ok thanks ill give that a try. hopefully that helps. still need to figure out why coolant is coming back out and car seems to get hot quick.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSmoken
spray what area?

ok thanks ill give that a try. hopefully that helps. still need to figure out why coolant is coming back out and car seems to get hot quick.
spray the intake manifold and see if the idle jumps up.

is coolant coming out of the cap on the radiator when the cap is off? are bubbles coming up? if so you have air in the system and the only way to fix that is when the engine is warm and off, squeeze the coolant hoses a few times. you have air in the system is my guess. btw your car shouldn't idle for **** anyway lol that idle is set for a stock cam and stock heads, when you go bigger the computer is gettin confused so you need to keep babyin the throttle to keep it alive till you get it tuned. good luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

spray the intake manifold and see if the idle jumps up.

is coolant coming out of the cap on the radiator when the cap is off? are bubbles coming up? if so you have air in the system and the only way to fix that is when the engine is warm and off, squeeze the coolant hoses a few times. you have air in the system is my guess. btw your car shouldn't idle for **** anyway lol that idle is set for a stock cam and stock heads, when you go bigger the computer is gettin confused so you need to keep babyin the throttle to keep it alive till you get it tuned. good luck!
yeah when the cap is off. my dad thought the same thing about air being in it. i think we got that lined out. i just took it for a short drive and it ran fine, other than the idle issue on the initial start up or when im stopped. those pcv hoses still arent hooked up yet. im going to wait for it to cool down and see if i can put the old ones back on. hopefully that will fix everything.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

don't go to GM just to get a new overpriced PCV line.. their line is 11/32" in inside diameter I believe. I just got a hose from a hardware store yesterday. It was 1/2" in outside diameter I believe but it fit just fine. The hose was about 9" in length. You can go to a hardware store or Autozone etc and get the hose for cheap.

*edit* nvm just looked more closely at the pictures and it looks like your missing your PCV completely. This is a bad idea. Definitely go to a junkyard or somewhere first to get new PCV ****. Or get an LS6 valley cover and cap off the driver side valve cover PCV port on the back, and the tube on the rear portion of the passenger side valve cover. You still need to be running a vacuum from the tube on the front portion of the passenger side valve cover to the top of the throttle body. If you get an LS6 valley cover it pulls the crankcase pressure from the valley cover on the front of it from a small tube that will go right under the intake and come out near the pass. side head. All you have to do is run a PCV valve and some line (about 10") looped around from the LS6 valley cover tube to the port on the passenger side of the intake.

Last edited by djfury05; 09-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

if you know someone who works for a dealership you can get it for less than $100 brand new or you can chance gettin a used one that might be cracked over time. my recommendation is brand new . . . thats what i did, i'd rather be safe than sorry
Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

ok we found all my old hoses and used some other we had laying around to fix the broken pieces. ill see tomorrow how everything is. thanks for the help fellas.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah id say your issues may be the pcv as well. and it does sound like you have bubbles in the system, and you may need to "burp" it. I was lucky enough that i did have to. When i did my heads, i just filled up the radiator and when the thermostat opened and sucked in the fluid i filled it up again and i was fine.

did you put in a new t-stat with the waterpump? did you put it in backwards or anything?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
yeah id say your issues may be the pcv as well. and it does sound like you have bubbles in the system, and you may need to "burp" it. I was lucky enough that i did have to. When i did my heads, i just filled up the radiator and when the thermostat opened and sucked in the fluid i filled it up again and i was fine.

did you put in a new t-stat with the waterpump? did you put it in backwards or anything?
mine appeared to have air in it also. i think its all out now as it didnt appear to get hot today when it took it for a drive. i swapped mine onto the new water pump when i put it on about a month ago. it seems to be running fine temp wise now. ill check the pcv hoses for leaks tomorrow but i think we are good to go.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Funds permitting, you should look into a Catch Can in the future, they really do work...good to hear you got the kinks worked out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...g-dsc02087.jpg
Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Funds permitting, you should look into a Catch Can in the future, they really do work...good to hear you got the kinks worked out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...g-dsc02087.jpg
i was actually thinking about that when i was taking stuff off. the intake seemed dry inside for the most part, but there was oil on the blades of the tb and where it mounts to the intake.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 AM
TECH Veteran

good to hear things are working out bud
Old 09-09-2010, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

good to hear things are working out bud
thanks man. i was worried for a min that maybe the head gaskets where somehow blocking coolant or something and the heads were going to have to come back off. im going to take it for a drive today and see how she feels.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSmoken
thanks man. i was worried for a min that maybe the head gaskets where somehow blocking coolant or something and the heads were going to have to come back off. im going to take it for a drive today and see how she feels.
good luck and take a vid
Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

good luck and take a vid
i plan on it. hopefully tomorrow i will have a clip i can post.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

ok guys i added a video clip in the original post.