Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8 roller rockers on a ls6 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought i would post, i recently called divincci or however u spell it and asked about a cam package from them, i also asked what rocker arm ratio they would recomend since i am debating on replacing the factory ones and they recomended going up to the 1.8 i thought that was wierd since your already doing a cam. i didn't ask why. i assume they have cams specifiacally designed with 1.8 in mind. but why would they recomend it??
Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM

oh cam size was typical 224
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
im not debating roller rockers arent good for valvetrain stability, im debating 1.8 rockers increase HP by any amount worth the 200+ dollars. and the valvetrain stability gained by roller rockers is ruined by the increased valve speed.

there is no two ways about it, this mod is pointless. thats why you only see a handfull of people doing it and the ones that are doing it have no clue what it does to the vavletrain in terms of valve events. all they see is SLP claims XX amount of HP and thats good, even tho it doenst happen.

I know these are older posts, but I bought a set of 1.8 Crane full rollers for $170
Don't you also get the benefit of less friction as well? Less friction mean more horses as well... Right?
Was a $170 not worth maybe 7-10 hp?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLNew
I know these are older posts, but I bought a set of 1.8 Crane full rollers for $170
Don't you also get the benefit of less friction as well? Less friction mean more horses as well... Right?
Was a $170 not worth maybe 7-10 hp?
Everything else being stock, sure. But you will year out the springs faster and probably run into some valve float at higher rpm's. The crane's have a quick lift feature which is stupid hard on valve springs and only gets worse when you add a cam.

If you don't already have a cam and you plan on adding one in the future, I would stick with the stock rockers.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is much fail in this thread.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to zombie this because if I don't ill get a 'do a search!!!'

Picked up a CTS-V1 with ls6 recently, and seeing everyonr claim. that 7/hp-14ftlb isn't worth the $300 now seems comical when in 2020 we spend way more for less.

Saying as much, car I bought is said to have summit stage 3 cam, and built heads and gapped rings, etc etc, but I don't trust the top end so planned on a full tear down. Replacing rockers, pushrods, and springs to parts I actually know, so saying as much, woukd anyone recommend against me buying the YT 1.8's and going full roller rocker. In 2022, the little cammed V1 needs all the horsies she can get and I'm rebuilding the top end anyways.

Also hah been a while since I posted.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Baalic, good to see you post again.
Welcome back!
CTSV's are cool rides! A++

Texas Speed has the Yella Terra non-adjustable 1.8 roller rockers listed for ~$775.

Probably want to confirm the valve springs are up to the task for cam lift and because rollers tend to be heavier over the nose. Likewise a 1.8 rocker will increase lift by almost 6 percent. A .625 lift cam would become ~.661 lift. Cam duration will increase slightly probably by ~ 1 degree or so.

FWIW - Only the car owner can determine if mod's are worth the cost in my experience. I have Jesel Roller Rockers on my 91 RS's 383 LS1 and they definitely are over kill. I didn't realize that back in 2008. Stock LS rockers are good for 1,000+ hp & 7,500+ rpm. In hindsight, the cost of the Jesel's would have been better spent on a Watts link for the rear. No gripes with the Jesel's they've done everything flawlessly etc.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been a while since I posted for sure, my last C6 ended up at around 750 rwhp on only 14 psi .. she was spicy for sure.. but new direction on this car.

I planned on upgrading or replacing the entire top end with BTR parts anyways and figured might as well grab the YT 1.8 s for more lift and poss to quiet down the chatter. So as a mod by themselves, probably not worth the money but considering the car at this point, every little bit if reliablity helps.

Already ordered new motor mounts, diff bushings, TAB and Toe Rods for it... Should be a fun car once I finish.
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (02-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 1.8 roller rockers on a ls6 motor?