Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harland sharp rockers coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default harland sharp rockers coming loose

ANybody had any problems with harland sharpe rockers coming loose? I bought a set and i talked to a guy that had the same set but he had problems with them coming loose. Don't know the guy to well so i wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Launching!

No problems here.. How are you torquing the bolts down? You are supposed to be doing each set of rockers with the piston at top dead center and using loc-tite and 22lbs.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of them, nothing but problems...
Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by caddy03pimpin
No problems here.. How are you torquing the bolts down? You are supposed to be doing each set of rockers with the piston at top dead center and using loc-tite and 22lbs.
yup! loc-tite and torque them at 22 ft lbs. pistons @ tdc. if still loosening check threads on heads.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Get rid of them, nothing but problems...
what brand of roller rockers u using?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Have seen many valve train failure with HS if u must go with after market Yella Terra. Just my opinion, what I have seen, and fixed lol.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
what brand of roller rockers u using?
Stock LS1 rockers on my forged 370CI.

No problems whatsoever. Looking at buying a set from Comp Cams (Scorpion).
Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Have seen many valve train failure with HS if u must go with after market Yella Terra. Just my opinion, what I have seen, and fixed lol.
Amen!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

If I could do it again I would NOT buy HS rockers I would get YT adj rockers, HS people were just asses when I had issues and needed to swap them out. I should have just returned them to summit and got YT.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Everyone is scared of running things when its the installers fault that the parts fail and everyone gets all freaked out. For example Comp 918's, HS RR.. Etc.. If everyone installs them correctly you will not have issues. There are SERVERAL people running them without any issues and me being one of them.....
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Everyone is scared of running things when its the installers fault that the parts fail and everyone gets all freaked out. For example Comp 918's, HS RR.. Etc.. If everyone installs them correctly you will not have issues. There are SERVERAL people running them without any issues and me being one of them.....
What happens with HS specially with stock heads is that they need to be milled because they do not fit correctly. This throws off the stability and balance of the rocker that is why so many people encounter problems with them. If any one says that HS do not need to be modified to fit 241 243 or any stock base LS head then you don't have HS. The YT need no such modification and therefore the stability of the rocker is intact and therefore no issues. When you use HS in after market heads there is no need for modification and therefore the stability and balance of the rocker is intact and thus you do not experience as many issues.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:42 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry, but some of us do know what the hell we're doing half the time . Actually Harland Sharp hasn't been a real good brand even back in the early 90's.

I bet a lot of people bought them because they were a pretty bright orange.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Harland Sharp

I have a set of 1.7's and one of the first sets of 1.8 adjustable for ls7 heads. No problems at all with either.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:39 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry, but some of us do know what the hell we're doing half the time . Actually Harland Sharp hasn't been a real good brand even back in the early 90's.

I bet a lot of people bought them because they were a pretty bright orange.
So this must be the other half when you don't know what you are talking about.

Harland Sharps for a few years, same set on their fourth set of heads; no problems.

Nothing is perfect, I would use either Harland Sharps or Yellow Terra (or of course Jesel etc.); yet I have only seen the YT UL failures in person.

EDIT: Actually most failures I have seen were installation error, with the extremely rare material failure.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Azrael
So this must be the other half when you don't know what you are talking about.

Harland Sharps for a few years, same set on their fourth set of heads; no problems.

Nothing is perfect, I would use either Harland Sharps or Yellow Terra (or of course Jesel etc.); yet I have only seen the YT UL failures in person.

EDIT: Actually most failures I have seen were installation error, with the extremely rare material failure.
Sorry let me rephrase myself. HARLAND SHARP has never been a "TOP BRAND" or the "#1 CHOICE" for racers

Most Harland Sharps don't like high RPMS, but I guess you would know something like this? Apparently not...
Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry let me rephrase myself. HARLAND SHARP has never been a "TOP BRAND" or the "#1 CHOICE" for racers

Most Harland Sharps don't like high RPMS, but I guess you would know something like this? Apparently not...
Actually on this I do agree, HS and YT are the entry level roller rockers.

BTW, our 454 still has the Harland Sharp roller rockers and is running up to 7200 rpm.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

Actually on this I do agree, HS and YT are the entry level roller rockers.

BTW, our 454 still has the Harland Sharp roller rockers and is running up to 7200 rpm.
Sorry, when I say high RPMS I mean 8,000+. Guess I should have stated that

I've been running my stock rockers to 7,500 with no problems at all....yet.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry, when I say high RPMS I mean 8,000+. Guess I should have stated that

I've been running my stock rockers to 7,500 with no problems at all....yet.
We were actually thinking about doing a trunion upgrade to some stock rockers, the only thing that has me hesitant is that we are running TFS heads. There is no way I would run anything less than the Jesels to near 8k rpms...

Still, I am considering the upgrade to the Jesel rockers anyway; just saying in the years and tons of miles we have had on the Harland Sharps not a single problem with them.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

We were actually thinking about doing a trunion upgrade to some stock rockers, the only thing that has me hesitant is that we are running TFS heads. There is no way I would run anything less than the Jesels to near 8k rpms...

Still, I am considering the upgrade to the Jesel rockers anyway; just saying in the years and tons of miles we have had on the Harland Sharps not a single problem with them.
I plan on doing a new stroker build pretty soon and it will be 421CI or bigger. Just trying to get away from having to use nitrous to run in the single digits. It won't be a "budget" build like the one I'm currently running.

I've seen people have no problems at all with Harland Sharps but around this area they haven't had that good of a reputation of lasting and I know they weren't installer faults. Just kinda ticked me off a little when the above guy pretty much told me they were installed wrong, or I just took him the wrong way.

But yeah, Jesel is definitely in my future build as well
Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on doing a new stroker build pretty soon and it will be 421CI or bigger. Just trying to get away from having to use nitrous to run in the single digits. It won't be a "budget" build like the one I'm currently running.

I've seen people have no problems at all with Harland Sharps but around this area they haven't had that good of a reputation of lasting and I know they weren't installer faults. Just kinda ticked me off a little when the above guy pretty much told me they were installed wrong, or I just took him the wrong way.

But yeah, Jesel is definitely in my future build as well
After reading your posts you dont really come off as the nicest guy either man. Maybe think about the way your saying stuff as well

Quick Reply: harland sharp rockers coming loose