5.3l with 4.8l pistons - Page 3 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l with 4.8l pistons

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dawgs74 View Post
what if you put ls1 pistons on a 4.8 crank and rods , will it work and what would it displace?
Yeah it be a 312 or 5.1
Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Yea, I know - this is an old thread. The big trouble I see with using these 5.3 liter truck motors in a car is the 5.3 liter oil pan. It hangs down a lot.Typically, maybe two inches or so. Yes, the 5.3 liter engines are abundant and cheap but you do need to budget for a different oil pan. Otherwise, you are going to leave your engine oil on the street someday and quickly weld up the internal parts of your engine into a pasty grey metallic pulp.

I had to go with the Holley 302-2 pan on my El Camino to avoid this problem.

Rick
Skid plates also work.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Yea, I know - this is an old thread. The big trouble I see with using these 5.3 liter truck motors in a car is the 5.3 liter oil pan. It hangs down a lot.Typically, maybe two inches or so. Yes, the 5.3 liter engines are abundant and cheap but you do need to budget for a different oil pan. Otherwise, you are going to leave your engine oil on the street someday and quickly weld up the internal parts of your engine into a pasty grey metallic pulp.

I had to go with the Holley 302-2 pan on my El Camino to avoid this problem.

Rick
Depending on the swap, there might be a Camaro/Corvette/CTS-V/GTO pan that might fit. You don't always need to go aftermarket.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
It worked great, car put down 311 hp to the ground on a chassis dyno through a 4L60E so we think the engine is makeing around 375hp or so.
what cam grind are you running

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3l with 4.8l pistons

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: