Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shuts off after 10-20 secs, oil pressure fluctuates as it cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car shuts off after 10-20 secs, oil pressure fluctuates as it cuts off

Hello, I just got my tranny swapped and all of a sudden had a coolant leak (never ran hot but radiator was damn near bone dry). ok after i topped it off i haven't had that issue with fluid bubbling over after i turn off the motor. but i checked the oil level and it was damn dry as hell. no oil leaks (obvious) so i topped it off. so i'm heading out of town and get about 100 miles with no issues. then all of a sudden the car sputters like the fuel pump stopped sending or something. every gauge was fine except the oil pressure gauge which usually reads about 40ps1 at idle and 50ish while normally driving. The car will crank right up after shutting itself off, but will only lst about 15-20 secs. Oil level is still good. no leaks under the car. Since i've had the car, my dip-stick takes two hands to put back in and some muscle to get out, as if it's severly pinched or the block is sitting on it. I also got my pcm reflashed to get it to read my manual transmission again. I had custom hp tuner tuning on it before which i believe got erased when reflashed. Does any of those recent events have a factor in what's going on? I've been told so far it may be the crankshaft sensor, but I have been told oil pump, and sender unit. Anyone know for sure or by experience what i should look for? I am not able to do this work on my own because i am away out of town and will be moving within a few weeks and need to have an idea what the shop should be replacing before i get screwed out of money once again. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

help!! maybe i'm putting too much emphasis on the oil gauge? It's just the only thing that was wierd. more than likely it was dropping because the car was shutting off. it really felt like fuel pump died on me. Would me losing my tune cause this kind of reaction on a heads and cam car?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming that its an LT1 by your screen name? All i can think of for possibles is... OPTI spark or a MAF issue. Try the LT1 section
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, i always forget to mention it's a 99 ls1 TA
Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tune getting erased concerns me - what tune is in it? I know I've had a MAF fail and an oil pump. With the oil pump there was 0 doubt as the oil pressure fluctuated badly followed by loud noises. When the MAF failed, it ran like crap, stalled constantly and the oil pressure fluctuated. 99 TA LS1 here.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it was a dyno tune done with hp tune software before i bought the car. It had to get erased in order to get my pcm to read my manual tranny (pre existing issue) so all the custom tuning was erased. i guess the oil pump wasn't that bad. i started it with the hood up and looked under the hood. there weren't any wierd noises. It ran fine just slower because of the lost tuning i assume. It drove 100 miles almost exactly before it just decided to shake and shut off at like 60mph. it cranks up every time so that eliminates the possibility of it being a fuel pump issue right? A tuner down here suggested i look into the crankshaft sensor. I haven't had a chance to look iinto it.