Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you that have had spring failure. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by Cstraub
If our results are what we expect, the no valvespring has a chance to live in this engine due to another part. So springs are getting the blame but they are breaking due to a "tolerance issue". So your spring purchase is no problem. Thats all I would buy at this time.
When you say "tolerance issue", are you refering to the tolerances to which the factory locks are manufactured (i.e. some stock locks being enough 'out of spec' to cause the issue), or that the tolerances in all stock locks will eventually cause the issue?

I ask because, I have seen people with 30K+ miles on various springs with mid-range to mild type cams in street cars without issues. I understand that many people on this board don't ever make it to the 30K point with "X" set of springs because they change around their setups so often, but I personally know people who have. So are you saying that even these long term reliable setups may be facing the same issue???
Old 01-15-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
When you say "tolerance issue", are you refering to the tolerances to which the factory locks are manufactured (i.e. some stock locks being enough 'out of spec' to cause the issue), or that the tolerances in all stock locks will eventually cause the issue?

I ask because, I have seen people with 30K+ miles on various springs with mid-range to mild type cams in street cars without issues. I understand that many people on this board don't ever make it to the 30K point with "X" set of springs because they change around their setups so often, but I personally know people who have. So are you saying that even these long term reliable setups may be facing the same issue???

It's more of looking into how a valve lock works and functions.

Clamping force and stability issues are a major concern when a valve lock/retainer design is developed. The entire package must be a match to the application as well as the overall design and functionality.

I for one, get very concerned when a company (OEM or aftermarket) uses "stamped" style locks in the valvetrain. Whether heat treated or not, these pieces should not be used for performance applications. To be stable, the lock/valve/retainer combination should create a "Morse collet type fit". That is the ideal scenerio for valve retention and valvetrain stability when an engine is run beyond it's OEM parameters.

I guess for OEM requirements, a fit misque here of there won't cause a problem however, as soon as you add in extra spring pressure (to handle some of these insane cam lobe ramp speeds) and more RPM,well, things fail and there goes all the engineering. The bean counters have won again!

There's more to this whole "spring life" issue but I really don't want to get to deep into it. I don't want the competition get for free, what I've spent plenty of time and money to refine.

Ed
Old 01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! I hope you really are on to something that will increase our spring reliability, and if so you deserve the credit not someone else. Power to you!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cstraub
If our results are what we expect, the no valvespring has a chance to live in this engine due to another part. So springs are getting the blame but they are breaking due to a "tolerance issue". So your spring purchase is no problem. Thats all I would buy at this time.
I was planning on buying a "kit" w/ springs, seats, retainers, seals. I will just wait a while and watch this post!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I was planning on buying a "kit" w/ springs, seats, retainers, seals. I will just wait a while and watch this post!

Getting really close for release of this spring kit. Should be running around $300 for everything...

Ed
Old 01-17-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDC

Getting really close for release of this spring kit. Should be running around $300 for everything...

Ed

Can you give us a hint on the max lift those springs will be good for ?
0.600 , 0.625 , maybe even .650 ? I am planing on getting TSP 231/237 Cam soon, and Comp Cam duals (good for .650) is all there is for now....

Thanks...
Adam
Old 01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Always good to see new parts for the LS1 market.

Could someone post a video of what the valve train did on the dyno? It would be interesting to see and probably enhance sales.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope as soon as they are available one of the sponsors will have them

Quick Reply: For those of you that have had spring failure. . .